Advice for a soon to be biology graduate

zdbrenn

Hello, I hope I am posting in the correct area as it is my first time posting here.

I am about to graduate this saturday with my Bachelors in biology. I attended a community college where I earned an Associate's in biology with a 3.57 gpa, had chemistry research experience, and club leadership experience. This earned me a full ride scholarship to the current university that I am graduating from on saturday with a B.S. in biology. Unfortunately my academic performance at the school I transfered to was not as good and I am most likely going to graduate with a 3.2- gpa. However I did work as a lab assistant where I conducted my own research in regeneration, which I have fallen in love with the subject and even presented my findings at a Sigma Xi poster session. I also worked as an AP tutor for a semester. I even have 3 professors who offered to write me letters of recomendation, each of whom I know me well. I am hoping to enter into a Master's program in developmental biology, but I fear my gpa will be my undoing. Am I overeacting to my low gpa or is this something I should be concerned about? Also I am planning on taking the Biology GRE this july and start applying in the fall or earlier. This is because I wanted a year for my fiance and I to pay off some small debts, and to save some money if we have to move. Any advice would be more than welcomed, thank you in advance!

I know people who have gotten into PhD programs with around a 3.2 (don't know about Master's). 

There is a LOT more to an application than a GPA.  If you have great letters of recommendation and experience, that should take you pretty far. Go for it!

For most master's programs your GPA shouldn't really be an issue. Plus it sounds like you have plenty of other positives to help you with your profile. 

I got into every school to which I applied with my 3.2 GPA. I had a very average GRE score. The things that drove my applications were my publications. I worked after college in a really great lab and had 1 first author and 2 Co author pubs. I received a lot of praise for them in my interviews, despite them being in no-name journals. Long story short: a 3.2 is not bad!