What do I do to improve my chances from this point?

carrots_and_rabbits

Hello! Sorry (not sorry) for the wall of text. 

So I'm starting my senior year this coming Fall and will be sending out my applications throughout the semester.

A little background is in order:

College: Top 15 Public Research University 

Major: Microbiology and Cell Science

Minors: Bioinformatics; Chemistry

CGPA: 3.28  :wacko:

Major GPA: 3.165  :(

GRE (Will be retaking these soon): 155Q, 157V, 4.0 AWA  :mellow:

Skip this next portion to ignore me making excuses for myself:

These are not the best stats... They're actually pretty mediocre. I plan to have my GRE around 165Q, 165V, 4.0+ AWA by August. My current score was the result of me just trying the exam out and I did not study for it seriously, only about a week before. I knew the structure of it before because I had been taught the test so I was only familiar with the questions and such. I even ran out of time on one of the two math portions and had to christmas tree my last 7 questions!! My GPA is low as a result of my chemistry minor ( :(). I just did not do well in organic chemistry (I and II) and analytical chemistry. I just wanted to learn chemistry no matter what even if it meant I was going to receive a hit to my GPA. It was more important for me to gain exposure to the subject matter than it was for me to have a perfect GPA. I've just had a really rough experience with organic chemistry and it truly did a number on my confidence. It doesn't help when my University has such a cruel grading system (blah blah blah excuses excuses excuses I know).

As for some of my more positive stats:

Research:

I have 2 years of research experience in environmental microbiology and will have 2 years in the McNair Scholars program by graduation. I'm an minority student so I've tried taking advantage of the opportunities afforded me. I will have a 3rd year of research but it will be in bioinformatics doing work on microbiomes (metagenomics work). My first PI is actually a regional ASM branch President and well-known in his field. My second PI is the Microbiology Department Chair at my school and is also well-known in the field of genomics. Although I learned about these things after the fact; I was more interested in their work than I was in their status.

I have multiple LoR lined up, I actually have a wide range of choices to choose from, that will be really strong I'm sure. I'm also very close to having enough data in my first lab to publish; we've been discussing my results and are very excited to release them if I can make just a little more progress. I dedicate around 20+ hours a week in the lab throughout the year but my past summer was 40hrs minimum although I spent many a late night as well. I just really love lab work and want to continue doing this as part of my career. 

Presentations:

I've done an oral presentation at one national conference through McNair and will have another one this summer through the Leadership Alliance. I was accepted to an Ivy League summer research program so that's going to be a lot of fun! I have four other poster presentations I've done at various university symposiums as well. I p

Extracurriculars:

I've actually pioneered the creation of a Student Chapter of the American Society for Microbiology on my campus and have been elected Vice-President twice. Our group does all sorts of activities to encourage participation in Microbiology and bring interest to our department. I've worked with multiple professors and have even helped joint-host a Research Symposium. Our group's main focus though is to increase communication between the faculty and the undergrads, grads, and post-docs as well as provide trips to help students become aware of job opportunities for those in our major. We have many more hopes in the future but we've also done a lot to connect students with research positions throughout the campus. I'm actually super proud of these achievements and I've worked really hard to make them come true.

I've also been an ambassador of my McNair Scholar cohort and have been elected to represent us at our school's pre-phd association. 

Final words:

So that's that. I can elaborate more but in the end this is what my college experience has boiled down to. I really want to get a funded PhD and study in a field of my choice but my GPA is so abysmal I am starting to regret all my life choices up to this moment. I don't think I'll get into any top programs although it won't stop me from trying. I have all my application fees waived so financially I'm in an advantageous situation to spread a wide net. I'm starting early so that I can put in the amount of work required to thoroughly complete each application at a high standard. 

FWIW, I'm fairly charismatic in person so I usually do well in interviews.

The schools I would like to apply to are still being chosen (making an excel spreadsheet and trying to find school's with good programs in metagenomics or bacteriology). My range is anywhere between Stanford University and the University of Florida. 

Question:

Do you think I would need to put in a Master's first for a year to get anywhere with these stats? I don't know if I can afford the cost though. 

Is there anything at all I can do to gain just a slightly more competitive advantage to compensate for my academic mediocrity? 

Anyone have some helpful criteria to search for schools with?

Your GPA isn't that abysmal. People have had similar GPA's and have been accepted to top programs. You can't do anything about the GPA now. Your GRE is what needs to improve quite a bit. Most schools have unofficial GRE cutoffs. You need to do well do ensure your app is read.

Other than that you need to carefully research what programs you want to go to. Make sure that your research interests fit well with the program. Otherwise you aren't going to have a shot.

You are not in as bad of a situation as you think you are.

If you can't afford it don't do a masters, its not worth the money. A research tech job is far more valuable.

Your GPA is over 3.0 and you seem to have decent research exposure. I suggest you apply to 8-10 programs across the spectrum but still programs you can realistically see yourself attending. You do want to get your GRE into the 85-90 percentile range to offset your GPA a bit. Also I wouldn't look strictly at microbio programs, try looking at some of the umbrella programs out there - you may be pleasantly surprised. Begin working on your statement of purpose over the summer because that is one of the most important parts of your application package. Also start looking for recommenders (you'll need 3-4) that can attest to your research ability. 

I definitely have the recommenders down pat but I shall be working on my statement of purpose. That's one of the most difficult things to write. As I said in my post, I'm going to aim for a GRE that blows my GPA way out of the water and I genuinely believe I can get it. The material isn't hard I just need to practice it. Because that's something I severely lacked the first time around. 

If necessary, I'll see about applying for a Master's at my current university in a relevant topic. I might be able to work with the same PI and just extend the research topic. But that's only a last ditch effort. 

Also I wouldn't look strictly at microbio programs, try looking at some of the umbrella programs out there - you may be pleasantly surprised. 

Are you sure about that? I have fickle interests but I've become particularly fascinated with Microbiology as a general field since Junior year of high school. I just put that down but my interests are related to cellular biology to molecular biology, a little bit of synthetic biology, and a lot of genetics (huge field that it is). I'm not a fan of virology though which my friends all give me disgusted looks for. Microbiology is as broad a field as I could go before losing focus but it includes a ton of other fields like cancer and stem cell therapies to rejuvenation in my honest opinion. 

Are you sure about that? I have fickle interests but I've become particularly fascinated with Microbiology as a general field since Junior year of high school. I just put that down but my interests are related to cellular biology to molecular biology, a little bit of synthetic biology, and a lot of genetics (huge field that it is). I'm not a fan of virology though which my friends all give me disgusted looks for. Microbiology is as broad a field as I could go before losing focus but it includes a ton of other fields like cancer and stem cell therapies to rejuvenation in my honest opinion. 

Where I attend the only way to get into a microbiology lab is to either apply for a biomedical science umbrella PhD or apply for a biology PhD if your POI is in that department instead of the college of medicine.

Your undergrad profile is very similar to mine. I ended up doing a masters first. I applied to PhD programs after the first year of the MS and got it to some top 10 programs and lots of top 20s.

My uGPA was overlooked due to all my research experience. I had 4 years of undergrad research + my MS research. I do not think I would have done nearly as well in the process if I had applied right after undergrad. I don't think the MS is necessary but I do think that you will be a stronger applicant if you take a gap year or two at least and do full time research. You will distance yourself from the undergrad grades by doing this will gain even more research experience, including possible publications. Most of the students I met interviewing at top 20 schools had taken a gap year or two and gotten additional research experience.

If you take a gap year then you would also have time to take a subject test. I didn't take one since I had a 4.0 MS GPA but if you do full time research instead of a MS then the subject test might add credibility that you know the undergrad material.

Edited by bsharpe269

Your undergrad profile is very similar to mine. I ended up doing a masters first. I applied to PhD programs after the first year of the MS and got it to some top 10 programs and lots of top 20s.

My uGPA was overlooked due to all my research experience. I had 4 years of undergrad research + my MS research. I do not think I would have done nearly as well in the process if I had applied right after undergrad. I don't think the MS is necessary but I do think that you will be a stronger applicant if you take a gap year or two at least and do full time research. You will distance yourself from the undergrad grades by doing this will gain even more research experience, including possible publications. Most of the students I met interviewing at top 20 schools had taken a gap year or two and gotten additional research experience.

If you take a gap year then you would also have time to take a subject test. I didn't take one since I had a 4.0 MS GPA but if you do full time research instead of a MS then the subject test might add credibility that you know the undergrad material.

That's what I was afraid of.  :wacko:  My McNair director will have my guts for garters if she finds out I am gonna have to take a gap year. The whole point of the program was to get me into a program right out of graduation but I'm too picky. I'll figure something out. My University has a 4+1 BS and MS option for my major that I might pursue. I probably won't though since I want to separate myself from my lower BS GPA.  

That's what I was afraid of.  :wacko:  My McNair director will have my guts for garters if she finds out I am gonna have to take a gap year. The whole point of the program was to get me into a program right out of graduation but I'm too picky. I'll figure something out. My University has a 4+1 BS and MS option for my major that I might pursue. I probably won't though since I want to separate myself from my lower BS GPA.  

I have never heard of someone having a gap year or two and regretting it! Everyone I know who has done that feels that they gained a ton from it. Because of that, I would try to not view it as negative. I think that it can be a great experience and would advocate it even if you had a 4.0 GPA.

Thats truly unfortunate that your director thinks a gap year is problematic.  She is doing a disservice to you by giving that implication.  In fact, most directors of graduate programs seek applicants with experience since it lends itself very highly to success in graduate school.  Often the people who struggle most in the programs are those who came directly from undergrad.  As others have mentioned, during my application cycle I often found majority of applicants had at least a year or two of real-world experience, in some cases that was almost the full interview pool at a school.  I'd strongly suggest you take time to work and gain experience, hone your interests and this will help you in writing a SOP and showing maturity and ability to succeed in a full time laboratory environment.