Could Use a bit of Guidance (MPP/MPA Programs)

Hello,

My name is Mike, and at the end of this year, I'll be graduating with an MS in Applied Econ from SNHU...that great school that advertises everywhere. Though it's easy to criticize from that perspective, I've learned a ton from calculus based fiscal policy courses to high level linear modeling with econometrics. However, it was very applied-as in, no policy analysis what so ever. My goal has always been to do an MPP/MPA and, in some capacity, work in government/NGO/non-profit. So, I'm planning on doing a second masters. Yet, I don't have a ton of work experience. My resume would basically look something like this:

School: MS Applied Econ 3.9-4.0 GPA

BS Business Admin 3.0 GPA

Work Experience:

Working with a tech start up where I did digital media/communications work, but more importantly,implemented free digital lessons on financial literacy for middle and high school users.

Working with a lobbying firm (6 months only) where I assisted on policy briefs and even conducted original research

A good amount of volunteer work

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm looking at for schools:

UMASS Amherest

Suffolk (They seem to place people in very good legislative positions)

Brandeis 

American University

Rutgers

College of William and Mary (big reach,but there needs to be at least one, right?)

Are my goals too lofty? I've heard so many fluctuating things about work experience. However, I know my limitations. I'm not applying to Columbia, HKS, or even Brown. Partially because I really want to work at the city level. Without work experience am I doomed? Some applications will say "while work experience is valued and recommended, it is not required," or something along those lines. 

When it comes to GREs, I'm taking them twice this year. I'm testing right now 151 Q and 160 V. 

Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely,

Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike, it's really good to hear that you're interested in working at the "city level," and there are some terrific opportunities there.  Before thinking about school, you should check in with a city or county manager nearby.  The entry to that world is best seen through the ICMA site: http://icma.org/en/icma/career_network/homethough if you're in southern New Hampshire you couldn't do much better than emailing Tom Aspell, the City Manager of Concord, NH: http://www.concordnh.gov/CITYMANAGER He's terrific, and you can bounce ideas off him.  If you're interested in working around New England, the policy and administration programs at UMass (both Amherst and Boston) as well as Suffolk (especially in you want to work on Beacon Hill) are where you should focus your energies.  A Q151(44th percentile) is probably a non-starter at most programs, and you really need to be landing a solid 160+ given that you have training in Applied Econ, and I'm guessing that a Q160 is very much in reach for you.  I hope this all goes well for you, Mike, because local government is a terrific place to be working these days!

Hi Mike, it's really good to hear that you're interested in working at the "city level," and there are some terrific opportunities there.  Before thinking about school, you should check in with a city or county manager nearby.  The entry to that world is best seen through the ICMA site: http://icma.org/en/icma/career_network/homethough if you're in southern New Hampshire you couldn't do much better than emailing Tom Aspell, the City Manager of Concord, NH: http://www.concordnh.gov/CITYMANAGER He's terrific, and you can bounce ideas off him.  If you're interested in working around New England, the policy and administration programs at UMass (both Amherst and Boston) as well as Suffolk (especially in you want to work on Beacon Hill) are where you should focus your energies.  A Q151(44th percentile) is probably a non-starter at most programs, and you really need to be landing a solid 160+ given that you have training in Applied Econ, and I'm guessing that a Q160 is very much in reach for you.  I hope this all goes well for you, Mike, because local government is a terrific place to be working these days!

Sorry for slightly derailing this thread, but Mr. David King, I was hoping you could advise me on a couple concerns I have.

I'm from India and have a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.

I'm keen on pursuing my MPP/MPA in a couple of years time.

However, my main concern is my GPA. I have a GPA of 6.38 on a ten point scale. Im afraid I have no excuses for that.

But I was hoping you could help me in advising how I can overcome a bad GPA in order for me to become a more "strong" applicant. I'm currently working at a think tank and do plan on taking some additional courses (UCLA Extension is what I'm looking at).

Do you think it would help me overcome my past failings and make me more competitive?

Hi Invincible49, the "wisdom of crowds" is terrific over at the "am I competitive" thread.  You'll want to post over there, and folks will have much better advice than any one person can offer.