Low GPA

AWoodard

Okay, that's a lot of different worries. First off, your undergraduate grades meet the criteria. That's not a concern. Grad school admissions, especially at more prestigious programs like PENN, have two concerns before the interview. 1) Qualifications: GPA, GRE, research/job experience, etc. and 2) Best Fit: personal statement, letters of recommendation, and professional identity developed through research/job experiences

That's why I asked about your work experiences earlier, because "best fit" is actually the most important part of your applications. Those experience show your professional identity and really highlight what you want to do and why. The more competitive the program, the less slots available and the more that fit is important. 

Now, if you take that same approach to the job market, they also care about qualifications and fit. Some places care about prestige, but really, you see that more in academia than anywhere else. And it is easy to whittle out which departments have concerns with it. Really, your previous work experience, plus program internship requirements, will land you work quickly.  

I can't speak as to Bryn Mawr College qualifications. Maybe look at old graduates and look into where they're working now. Or even ask the secretary.

I can definitely demonstrate a commitment to public service/"fit".  After undergrad I served in an AmeriCorps program called City Year, working as a tutor and mentor to at-risk teenagers at an underperforming inner-city high school.  After that, I worked as a domestic violence crisis hotline advocate.  All of my law internships were with legal aid agencies offering pro bono services to indigent clients. I have worked with inmates, victims of trauma, immigrants, and homeless veterans.  I am also fluent in Hindi and Spanish, which I hope will help strengthen my application.    

Another quick question (I know I have been asking a lot!) Are 2 page resumes OK for MSW apps? My 2 page version contains all employment/volunteer work from summer 2007 onwards; my 1 pager is just legal work experience from 2012 onwards.  

My biggest worry when submitting MSW apps next year is that I'll be seen as a "quitter".   :(

I can definitely demonstrate a commitment to public service/"fit".  After undergrad I served in an AmeriCorps program called City Year, working as a tutor and mentor to at-risk teenagers at an underperforming inner-city high school.  After that, I worked as a domestic violence crisis hotline advocate.  All of my law internships were with legal aid agencies offering pro bono services to indigent clients. I have worked with inmates, victims of trauma, immigrants, and homeless veterans.  I am also fluent in Hindi and Spanish, which I hope will help strengthen my application.    

Another quick question (I know I have been asking a lot!) Are 2 page resumes OK for MSW apps? My 2 page version contains all employment/volunteer work from summer 2007 onwards; my 1 pager is just legal work experience from 2012 onwards.  

My biggest worry when submitting MSW apps next year is that I'll be seen as a "quitter".   :(

I've never run into a problem with 2 page resumes in counseling. So probably not. But I can't attest to it in Social Work. Maybe rewrite it as a curriculum vitae instead. That will give more details and it's expected to be long ;-)

How are MSW programs in terms of academic rigor?  Are social work courses graded on a forced curve like law classes? I got a 3.006 in law school, so I am worried about doing similarly poorly in another graduate program.  I know that if you get below a 3.0 in MSW programs, you're put on academic probation.   

How are MSW programs in terms of academic rigor?  Are social work courses graded on a forced curve like law classes? I got a 3.006 in law school, so I am worried about doing similarly poorly in another graduate program.  I know that if you get below a 3.0 in MSW programs, you're put on academic probation.   

Sounds like a question you should ask the program itself. As far as I know, it shouldn't be. But that sounds class/program specific.

Hello,

I recently graduated from my undergrad with a low gpa (2.5) and major gpa (3.2) I am now an upcoming graduate student in NY. I applied to Fordham, Columbia, NYU, and LIU. I didn't get into Fordham and Columbia (I figured I wouldn't) and got accepted at the other 2 schools. My suggestion for you, is to take a chance and apply anyway but still have a back up plan. I know people who got into Columbia with a 2.4 gpa. Also if you have experiences with any type of social work, use that to your advantage in your essay. Gpa plays a big part in getting in if the school is more focused on academics but if you have a strong essay and strong recommendation letters you can still make it. You can also take the GRE, I chose not to because it wasn't required but that is an option too. You can also reach out to admissions and ask them questions to see if it would be worth your time even applying. Last thing, when you write your essay for the schools, don't make an excuse for why you didn't meet the gpa. Own up to it and show them how you have grown and matured from it and how show them you will be a great candidate for their MSW program. Talk about your hardships and if your a first generation college student, throw that in there and discuss how it affected you. Give it a shot and take a chance! Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor! :)