Essay Feedback?

pickfights

Hi all,

I took a practice GRE today and while it scored my verbal and math sections (155 and 153, respectively, if you're interested) they didn't give scores for the essays. I was hoping I could get some feedback from you all on the essays. What to improve on, etc. I'm hoping to improve my scores all around. I'm taking the GRE for real on July 11th, 2015 and am applying for a Masters in Social Work this upcoming fall (MSWs don't care tooo much about GRE scores, but I want to do really well nonetheless).

I've linked to my essays here. I'm sorry if it's hard to read, but this was the only way I could retain my essays! Any feedback at all would be great. Even if you don't read my essays, what are some essays specific tips and tricks you'd like to share. Thanks! 

Another, separate question: How difficult is it to raise one's score? I want to get to about 160 in Verbal. Will it be fairly easy to jump ~five points, or it difficult to improve one's score? Thanks.

You're unlikely to improve your vocab or reading skills in a month or two enough for a huge improvement, but if you have 6+ months, sure. But spending that much time on GRE scores instead of other things is not wise. But if you scored poorly because of testing techniques or you couldn't focus or something, then sure. That said, on the old test, I improved my verbal by 60 points (about 4 on the new scale) in the span of a couple months.

Hi pickfights,

With the right practice materials, you can make some big improvements to your scores in 1-2 months. Many Test Takers get "stuck" trying to self-teach the GRE with a few books, so they think the process is much harder than it really is. With a GRE Course, you'll have the consistent guidance and expertise to help you focus on the content, the Test-taking tactics AND the built-in 'secrets' to the GRE. We have some free practice materials at our website (www.empowergre.com), so you can get a sense of everything that I just described. 

If you have any questions, then feel free to contact me directly.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich