Help with MSW programs in California!

laurenmichele

Hey Everyone!

I'm planning on applying to MSW programs for the Fall 2016 term. I was hoping to connect with some other people who have applied to this program in California schools. I've posted my application information below. I'm a little anxious on applying so any insight would be helpful. Thank you so much in advance!

I graduated from Arizona State University with a 3.3. 
I'm joining AmeriCorps and dedicating my life to community service in Los Angeles for a year.
I was a Resident Assistant in my dorm for two years
I was a Team Challenge Facilitator (facilitated debriefs after team building challenges)
I was a Habilitation and Respite Therapist for children with disabilities
I participated in research at ASU for a study focusing on science careers in the Hispanic community
My GPA for the last four semesters was 3.5, 3.5, 3.4, 3.72
Member of the National Residence Hall Honorary (honor society)

Also, my dream school is USC! 

Hey Everyone!

I'm planning on applying to MSW programs for the Fall 2016 term. I was hoping to connect with some other people who have applied to this program in California schools. I've posted my application information below. I'm a little anxious on applying so any insight would be helpful. Thank you so much in advance!

I graduated from Arizona State University with a 3.3. 
I'm joining AmeriCorps and dedicating my life to community service in Los Angeles for a year.
I was a Resident Assistant in my dorm for two years
I was a Team Challenge Facilitator (facilitated debriefs after team building challenges)
I was a Habilitation and Respite Therapist for children with disabilities
I participated in research at ASU for a study focusing on science careers in the Hispanic community
My GPA for the last four semesters was 3.5, 3.5, 3.4, 3.72
Member of the National Residence Hall Honorary (honor society)

Also, my dream school is USC! 

Hey there. I think your best bet would be to take a look at the Social Work forum if you haven't already. There's a lot of good info floating around over there. Good luck!

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/65-social-work/

Hey, I would second what the person above me said and check out the forum specifically for Social Work. I too am applying this fall for my MSW in California! :) I also want to make a comment about your dream school, USC. I think it's great you already have an idea about where you want to go, but USC is notoriously expensive. Especially if you're coming from out of state, it's going to be + 50 grand PER YEAR. Regardless of what you do with your MSW, you won't be making buckets of money, and so you should really take the cost of your school seriously. Additionally, USC is known as kind of a 'factory' for MSWs - they admit tons of people, charge them up the butt, and churn them out. Social work is not a field where prestige is important, and so the only difference between you and someone who went to Cal State LA will be the amount of debt you're in. For perspective, you could do your entire MSW at a cal state for less than a year at USC. I'm not saying this to be mean, but because debt is real and tangible. I've heard too many horror stories of people going into six figure debt for no reason. I would really investigate the schools you want to apply to, and find out what your priorities are - field placement, cost, location, cohort size, etc, etc. 

Good luck. :)