Possible? PhD in Public Health Policy/MCH Without Master's Degree

PHpolicynerd

Hello,

I am planning to apply to graduate programs in public health this fall 2015, and ideally, I would like to enter a PhD program in maternal and child health or social epidemiology with a public policy / program development, implementation, and evaluation focus. My career goal is to be an applied researcher (local or federal government, research firm, or university) focused on public health programs and social policy interventions to reduce health disparities.

My big dilemma is whether I should be aiming for a PhD program, or if I should be directing my attention to MPH programs. Given my background, what would you recommend I do? What might increase my chances of getting accepted into a PhD program? Are there elements that are particularly important to a good application? And what are the pros and cons of going into a PhD program without a master's degree? (Funding is huge for me, and I know I want to get a PhD or DrPH eventually).

* Graduated from UC Berkeley with B.A. Public Health and minor in Public Policy (3.8)

* At time of application will have 1.5 years of post-undergraduate research experience in public health (focused on my area of interest)

* Part-time work experience in public health nutrition research and health education for 2.5 years in college

* GRE scores (estimate): 161 V, 158 Q

* 1 publication (a non peer-reviewed report)

My dream schools:

-PhD Sociomedical Sciences - Columbia

-PhD Maternal and Child Health - UNC Chapel Hill

-PhD Health and Policy - John Hopkins

-PhD Health Services Org. & Policy - UMichigan

Thanks for your help/advice!