EPA STAR 2015

kbolya1

I reached out to Brandon to get a sense of how final the fate is for those of us who didn't get an email last Friday.

He said all recommendations have been sent, but he's waiting to hear back about acceptance/declination from those that received a recommendation. If someone declines they will make replacement selections. Once he's heard from all that have received the rec letter, declination letters are expected to be sent out at the end of the month.

I agree @biofilmsarego! with that statement. 

I applied to the EPA STAR 2013/2015, NSF GRFP 2013/2014/2015, DOD 2015, Sigma Xi March & Oct 2015, a university dissertation grant, a university grant, and a few others the past 3 years (I'm a 3rd yr PhD) - of those I only have received honorable mention for NSF GRFP 2015 and then received the Oct 2015 Sigma Xi (I also don't want to count my eggs before the check comes in for the EPA STAR ;)). Plenty of harsh and not so harsh rejections throughout. So for those that may not get recommended, keep applying. I remember my EPA STAR in 2013 I was told by the 3rd reviewer I'd make a good cheerleader for science but would never be a scientist (I was a senior applying to grad school at the time and had written a proposal of what I thought I'd like to do... and wrote it up while I had mono)- later that year I got my first author publication accepted before I even entered grad school. So take the reviews with a grain of salt and just keep plugging away. 

For those looking for the reviews back in the future Brandon said: 

Yes - reviews are available. We need to complete these initial communications prior to putting funding packages together and sharing reviews.

Edited by doublehelixdoubletrouble

^ ditto -- I don't know what this PPRD number they are referring to on the log-in page.  I also entered my "Unique ID" as assigned by the EPA for the STAR application (mine starts with "2015" followed by 5 numbers).  That didn't work.  Anybody able to log-in??  If so, where'd you find your number?

I'm having problems signing in as well. I'm pretty sure I found the correct # in the subject line of an 7/7/15 email from Receipt.Application@epa.gov, because it matches the description below taken from the scgcorp.com website, but it still didn't work.

"During that initial application process, you will be able to use your temporary PPRD (Policy, Planning and Review Division) number to access your Fellowship Information Inventory webpage. The PPRD number has 9 characters with no spaces. It starts with a capital alphabetical character, followed by two numbers, then another capital alphabetical character, then followed by five numbers (e.g. F50C12345)."

Thanks, also for those who needed more than the example given last minute, I found the 2012 Fellowship Awardee Portfolio: http://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-08/documents/2012-fellow-portfolio.pdf

It helped me out with the appropriate wording for molecular work. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually received anything yet? Award notifications? Cold, hard cash? Just curious if change in PO will affect reliability of timeline as presented on EPA website. Any news would be appreciated as the waiting game is quite tiring and I have fieldwork that requires some funding (or at least acknowledgement that I will be reimbursed in a timely manner)...

Hey!

The award notifications have gone out, with specific project dates and funding details. Not sure if they have already contacted people in a second round of funding if/after people turned down the award.

I was told that funds would begin being disbursed by late April and continue through early May until all Fellows had received their initial/official offer, at which time it would continue on a monthly basis. Just curious if this has actually happened for anyone yet. My paperwork has been completed since the initial offer was made and now I'm just trying to determine if I should try to take on a teaching assignment for the summer and just pay for research materials out-of-pocket and get reimbursed later or if I can rely on getting funding prior to summer semester/field season. Ultimately I just need to know where my rent/living expenses will be coming from beyond May 1st. Sigh...

• 4 weeks later...