PhD vs. Terminal MS Admissions

Fiora

Hi all,

I am currently a rising junior majoring in electrical engineering. I plan to go on for a terminal MS/MEng in the same field - I currently have no interest in pursuing a PhD, and I do not expect this to change in the future. Since I transferred to my current institution from a community college, I have not been able to gain any research experience up to this point (though I have some work experience). I will still try my best to get a research position next summer, but compared to other applicants who may have been doing research since their freshman year, I am afraid that my relative lack of it will put me at a disadvantage. My question is how severe this disadvantage will be, given that I am applying for a terminal masters and not a PhD. If anyone has any insight, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

If you have time to start doing some research during your senior year (even if it's a small independent study project) then you should be fine. A number of people go into a MS program to gain some more research experience or be better positioned for industry. Since many MS programs are unfunded, they tend to be easier to gain admission into and thus my advice to you would be to keep up your grades, do well on the GRE, research a bit and not worry to much about it.