GRE Assistance

_kita

I have only one aspect of my application I am truly worried about, and this is it. I'm applying to a mixture of clinical/social/cognitive psychology programs. Now, my undergraduate social science statistics grade was an A, I tutor it now as a graduate assistant, and I have gotten both an A/A- in my two graduate level courses. I am also going to be conducting independent research studies these next two semesters.  So I can demonstrate I can do statistics and research design. 

The problem, my GRE expected scores are atrocious. 

Q: 148-153

V: 151-156

My biggest problem for the quantitative is mathematic fundamentals. I need to work ground up. My verbal I know I can boost simply with the Magoosh and lots of practice. I have a little under 90 days left. Any suggestions on how I can work on those fundamental skills? My target is a 160 each. 

One thing that you have going for you is that your expected scores aren't always the most accurate in depicting where your scores may end up come test day. For example, after doing a series of practices, my official scores always ended up being 2-3 points higher and as you probably know that makes a difference. So right off the bat, stay positive!

Now given your challenges in the quantitative side of things, remember that the questions are not meant to be difficult. In fact, I always said that if I had taken the GRE back in high school, I probably would have scored much higher for the quantitative section. The quantitative section are challenging, because the questions are not apparent and make you waste time with convoluted calculations. The best way to approach it, at least for me, was to simplify what you're looking for. Make sure you identify what the questions are asking for, and whether there are really obvious things that makes the question a lot easier than they seem.

For your last 90 days, look at the areas that you find the most challenging and work on those. Really, it's about practice and doing questions on a timely fashion. And when it seems like you're stuck, then skip the question. Don't waste extra time forcing yourself. It'll come back to you when need be. 

The day before the test, make sure you're well rested and thinking positive thoughts. The way you feel the day of the test can make or break your score. 

One thing that you have going for you is that your expected scores aren't always the most accurate in depicting where your scores may end up come test day. For example, after doing a series of practices, my official scores always ended up being 2-3 points higher and as you probably know that makes a difference. So right off the bat, stay positive!

Now given your challenges in the quantitative side of things, remember that the questions are not meant to be difficult. In fact, I always said that if I had taken the GRE back in high school, I probably would have scored much higher for the quantitative section. The quantitative section are challenging, because the questions are not apparent and make you waste time with convoluted calculations. The best way to approach it, at least for me, was to simplify what you're looking for. Make sure you identify what the questions are asking for, and whether there are really obvious things that makes the question a lot easier than they seem.

For your last 90 days, look at the areas that you find the most challenging and work on those. Really, it's about practice and doing questions on a timely fashion. And when it seems like you're stuck, then skip the question. Don't waste extra time forcing yourself. It'll come back to you when need be. 

The day before the test, make sure you're well rested and thinking positive thoughts. The way you feel the day of the test can make or break your score. 

Thank you for the feedback. A lot of my concern is that I don't really have a 'most challenging' right now. My struggle is with ALL foundational work. I had a slightly different (experimental) math system in high school. They decided integrating all maths in one was a great idea. So, since I slacked off after pre-algebra, those skills were never really learned. I barely passed my college math, and pulled off a C- in college algebra (after acing the statistics class!). 

So I can FOIL till the cows come home, but my understanding is terrible, and makes it difficult to simplify steps. I'm hoping that lots of basic math practice will help. But it really is difficult what direction to go in now. 

I will keep your suggestions in mind. I definitely need to remember that skipping is an option, and optimism will help. 

Quantitative skills are hard to come by, but, again, the GRE is a standardized test. Even though it is considered by universities, it's not the end of the world. Obviously you want to try your hardest, you still have 3 months to go through it and do it to the best of your ability. Take a look at what your schools of interest are asking from their more recent applicants (if the schools post this). If not, consider asking these same departments for historical statistics. Then you can compare what the expectations are. One advice I received from an upper year mentor is that sometimes we find ourselves asking too much, especially when it comes to the GRE. I did the test three times (!) before I came to realize my first set of scores identifies my "aptitude" the best.

Remember, not everyone can get reach 80th percentile or higher in all three parts of the test, and your GPA and academic ability can cover some of the misgivings your GRE may have. If it helps, try looking at some high school material (there's a lot online) to simplify how you're studying. The ticking clock towards your test day may be giving you jitters, but 90 days means THREE months. You still have a lot of time!  :lol:

Hi psychkita,

It sounds like you have two definable 'issues':

1) You broad 'math skills' can use some improvement.

2) Your GRE tactical knowledge needs to be increased.

With 90 days, you have PLENTY of time to improve. If you want to approach both issues at the same time, then a GRE Course would probably be helpful. If you want to work on building your math skills first, then I suggest that you spend some time at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org) - it's a free site that provides plenty of practice and makes everything more "game-like" and less dry academia. 

Do you have an Official Test Date yet?

What application deadline(s) are you facing?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Edited by EMPOWERgreRichC

Hi psychkita,

It sounds like you have two definable 'issues':

1) You broad 'math skills' can use some improvement.

2) Your GRE tactical knowledge needs to be increased.

With 90 days, you have PLENTY of time to improve. If you want to approach both issues at the same time, then a GRE Course would probably be helpful. If you want to work on building your math skills first, then I suggest that you spend some time at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org) - it's a free site that provides plenty of practice and makes everything more "game-like" and less dry academia. 

Do you have an Official Test Date yet?

What application deadline(s) are you facing?

Rich

I'm taking the exam on August 15th.

My applications are all December 1st. While that gives me a cushion to retake if need be, I wouldn't get any real extra prep time this fall. So this will be my last retake. My most recent (2011) being V 154; Q 145; AW 4.

Thank you for the reference material! I'm checking it out now.

I would recommend studying strategically. You know that there will only be 6 data interpretation questions, and these are very tricky, so just skip these (do pick an answer - you re not penalized for guessing wrong).

Focus on doing well on certain types of questions, rather than kinda knowing all. Master several types and guess the others. Master as many as you can in the 90 days. do not learn the 3D formulas and other advanced stuff as these are rare and would probably only show up if you get the "harder" 2nd section. Most importantly, learn strategies for finding answers fast. McGraw-Hill has helpful tips.

Same for V, but with more memorizing.

Edited by random_grad

If you have the money, the Manhattan GRE prep is excellent for quant practice since it breaks down all the areas of the math sections into separate books. If that is too expensive, use the Barron GRE book in conjunction with the Kaplan GRE book (~$20 each). For vocab, it really is just a memorization game - most of the words are stuff you may or may not have seen but would really never use in everyday vocab. Magoosh is pretty good for the verbal though.

On the ETS website, there is a free math review that may be of use to you. Also, helpful is this link - https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/. They break down each math topic and provide a link to Khan Academy videos for review. All very helpful, in my opinion. Once I realized that there is nothing more than algebra I and geometry on the exam, it became less intimidating. 

Thank you for everyone who's been replying. I was running into a real problem finding places that would drill specific problem types (such as remainders or equation equivalency questions). A lot of sites jump topics within a category, so that focused practice has been a problem.This variety is giving me the practice I really need, so that algebra and geometry might actually STOP being a stress. 

A couple more links that might help:

http://www.thatquiz.org/ - This website has quizzes in different math concepts, so if you are looking for more practice it might be of help.

http://www.hippocampus.org/ - On the conceptual side, this website brings together tutorials and information from multiple sources (like Khan Academy). 

• 2 months later...

So, I took the GRE today. V (160); Q (141). MA GPA: 3.95; BS GPA: 3.42. 

That in mind, I'm considering realistic expectation. I'm pretty sure that blows my chances for the clinical psych programs. I'm considering switching my direction more towards counseling psychology PhD programs and Social Welfare/Public Health PhDs. Either direction, I could still be a research professor working on advocacy and mental illness. Any thoughts, advice, etc?

I'm not in your field, but I did want to send some encouragement. You and I are in the same boat re: math concepts on the GRE. It's disheartening, isn't it? We're trying to learn 3 years of high school math in three months. I have been using videos from GreenLightGRE, EmpowerGRE, and Khan to learn the math concepts. I know I won't score high, but I hope to exceed the minimum required by the school I'm applying to. The rest of my application is competitive (research, conferences, work experience, good masters GPA, etc.) so I'm not giving up. You shouldn't either!

Others in your field might have better advice on programs to apply to, but some questions in the meantime - Do the clinical psych programs you are targeting have set GRE minimums? If not, do you have relationships with profs in those programs? A great letter of recommendation from a prof at the school might help the adcom overlook the GRE score. When are the apps due? If you have time to continue studying math, you might have time to take it again and bring the quant score up. 

I wish you well, whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Hi psychkita,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. I'd like to know more about how you handled the Exam:

1) What time was your Official GRE?

2) Is there a reason why you took it on a Saturday?

3) Did you have any specific issues with the Quant section (tough questions, pacing issues, etc.)?

As far as how you can proceed, you mentioned in an earlier post how you wouldn't have time to study and retake the GRE. Can you go into a bit more detail about that?

Rich

I'm not in your field, but I did want to send some encouragement. You and I are in the same boat re: math concepts on the GRE. It's disheartening, isn't it? We're trying to learn 3 years of high school math in three months. I have been using videos from GreenLightGRE, EmpowerGRE, and Khan to learn the math concepts. I know I won't score high, but I hope to exceed the minimum required by the school I'm applying to. The rest of my application is competitive (research, conferences, work experience, good masters GPA, etc.) so I'm not giving up. You shouldn't either!

Others in your field might have better advice on programs to apply to, but some questions in the meantime - Do the clinical psych programs you are targeting have set GRE minimums? If not, do you have relationships with profs in those programs? A great letter of recommendation from a prof at the school might help the adcom overlook the GRE score. When are the apps due? If you have time to continue studying math, you might have time to take it again and bring the quant score up. 

I wish you well, whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Thank you. I'm actually considering switching direction slightly. Clinical psychology is competitive enough that if I meet their minimums (305 is the smallest to 320), I barely have a chance as it is. Instead, I'm going to go for programs which treat your background holistically. I have an interest in evidence-based treatment, ethical mental health policies,etc. So I'm thinking of applying to Social Welfare and Public Health PhDs. I will still be able to teach, advocate, research, and all the other perks. But my masters and years in the field will actually matter as well!

Hi psychkita,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. I'd like to know more about how you handled the Exam:

1) What time was your Official GRE?

2) Is there a reason why you took it on a Saturday?

3) Did you have any specific issues with the Quant section (tough questions, pacing issues, etc.)?

As far as how you can proceed, you mentioned in an earlier post how you wouldn't have time to study and retake the GRE. Can you go into a bit more detail about that?

Rich

1) 12:30 pm

2) At the time, I worked Full-Time at a summer camp program teaching psychology and per diem at a mental health group home. The weekend hours allowed me to take a full day off of all positions and focus on the exam. Also, it allowed me to take the exam when I knew I would be more awake and capable.

3) Unfortunately, I would need a private tutor to really grasp my trouble spots. I never took away most of these core mathematical concepts in high school. So, for the GRE, I was teaching myself foreign concepts in five months. Despite putting in an average of probably 20+ hours a week studying, it was not enough to build up from nothing, to solid framework, to abstractly/critically thinking about mathematical properties. Most likely, I learned enough of the basics to fall into traps on the ones I thought I knew, and I'm a horrible guesser on the rest. Which is why this round I got lower than the last time I took it.

Pacing was not an issue. Either I know how I'll solve a problem, or I don't. I guess and flag the ones I don't, and solve the ones I do. When I was completely done, I would review everything flagged, and work on those. I think I was able to work through 2 others with some confidence, but over 1/2 of the questions I felt lost on. So, tough questions that are easy?

As far as this application season, once Monday arrives my graduate semester begins again. I have a Graduate Assistantship for 20 hours a week; College Counseling Center Internship 20 hours a week; three graduate classes (one of them an independent research project); and volunteering for the ACA Master's Level Ethics Competition. Realistically speaking, I will not be able to devote the time needed to improve my scores enough. 

Edited by psychkita