got in but omitted previous transcripts

stressedapplicant

I got into a master’s program but I omitted a previous incomplete stint at a graduate school. The school is unlikely to find out, but now i feel crappy.

I realised it was a wrong thing to do. At the time I rationalized my decision to omission based on what I felt was ambiguous language in the application form regarding information about previous studies. Also I had my reasons to drop out from the previous program due to the absurd policies of that school. But I think I did the wrong thing by not disclosing this information to the new graduate school.

Now a part of me wants to just keep quiet and peruse the program. But the other part wants me to come clean and report the omission to the graduate school.

I am really confused and stressed out. What chances are there that the graduate program would still retain my study place if I report the omission?

Edited by stressedapplicant

That is a bad situation to be in. I wish I had better advice but if you come clean they will probably kick you out. If they find out later they will definitely kick you out. If they find out after you graduate they may revoke your degree. There are a lot of "maybes" and "probably's" here because it all depends on your school's policies. You could keep it to yourself and maybe they never find out but you could be throwing time into a degree that becomes worthless. I would come clean and hope for the best but no matter what you do its probably the end of your graduate career. Sorry, I know it sucks.

Edited by astaroth27

If you come clean to anyone, talk to the department, not the graduate school. If they really didn't say to disclose all previous transcripts (not just degree-granting), then who cares?

Unfortunately, as harsh as it sounds, your best bet is to tell the truth. I agree with velua, tell the people you are working with first. They can vouch for you, and it may make it easier to get through.
Regardless, it's still a difficult situation you are in. But it's better to confess now, than to worry and give yourself distress throughout the entire time of your graduate studies. It may work out if you don't tell, but do you want to risk that when you're nearing the end and they find out? That'll be even worse.

Good luck, and I wish you all the best!  

Thanks a lot for your advise.

Well i think i should have mentioned it in the opening post that i have been admitted by i have yet to accepted the position. So they cannot kick me out. All thay can do is to rescinde my offer of admission. I don't know how damaging, if any, would that be for my future graduate career. Could they take any other action such as blacklisting me, or informing other universities.?

Another option would be to reject the offer and forget about applying over there again. But this was the only university i applied to this year and i really did want to go there.

Edited by stressedapplicant

Note: This is all speculation. It might be a good idea to seek legal advice. This is the opinion of a stranger on the Internet--use at your own risk.

I don't think they can officially "blacklist" you or reveal your personal information to other schools. If you were supposed to work for a specific professor and can no longer do so, your professor might remember your name if it comes up in conversation with another professor. 

I think that the best bet is to be honest with the school at this point. Ask them if your admission offer still stands given this new information. Hopefully, while they won't be happy that you lied to them, they will then re-evaluate your application with the new information. 

I think if you wait to be caught, the consequences will be severe. If you admit the mistake now, you might still get to go to the school, but the worse that could happen is that you are rejected and can never apply to this school again (i.e. same as just declining the offer and never reapplying).

If you don't want to risk earning a reputation as a liar, then maybe withdrawing and never reapplying to this school (and being honest in all future applications) is the best bet.

Imo if you can afford to wait and reapply to other schools, withdrawing is the safest way. Even if the school which accepted you then sees your name in the long run, they will not remember the details of your app. if you tell nothing and accept they will find out almost for sure unless you switched fields, in which case the likelihood would be smaller but still existing. If however you really want this school, depending on whether you still feel like the language of the transcripts disclosure was ambiguous, you could claim that you realized that you should have submitted it just now and want to update your app. If it is not ambiguous then there s little choice but withdraw or pray they never find out.

Totally different scenario if you haven't accepted yet. Then it is just an oversight that needs to be corrected. If you get kicked out of grad school you are essentially blacklisted. If you are rejected from a grad school you can apply to some other ones next cycle, no harm no foul. Go ahead and let them know you forgot to send a school's transcripts or got confused by the wording of the application or whatever and hope for the best.