decision between PhD offer and internship leading to PhD

phdEuro

Hi,

I have a fully funded PhD offer from a University at Netherlands in Computer Science. The professor is very nice and the research topic also matches my main area of interest. The university is a second tier university i.,e ranked around 100 in the world for computer science (though I am not sure how accurate these rankings are). The alumnis of the professor have got in to decent post-doctoral positions. He has recently started a startup and i am worried that his attention may be directed towards that. That is the only negative point.

I have another offer at Ireland for a research internship. The area matches perfectly and it matches even my sub-area. But, only after the internship, PhD offer will be confirmed. The professor is new but is working on latest and interesting research topics. There is a certain amount of risk factor. He also said that PhD offer will be decided only after the internship based on performance and fit. I need to apply again if I don't get PhD seat. I did a research internship previously at a different place and I did not like the area and I did not accept the PhD offer. I had to spend efforts again in applying and I had to explain why I did not join there. Also that professor did not give me a positive feedback when some people asked for reference. 

I think it is straight forward to accept the one at Netherlands. But, the Ireland offer matches my interests more perfectly. I just want to hear what others have to say.

I would accept Netherlands offer.

Unless the Ireland university is a top tier universities and the chances of getting PhD offer is more, I won't accept it. Also, are you sure of getting PhD seat if you do well in your internship? Do you know? If there is a guarantee that you will get PhD seat after internship and the university is ranked higher than one at Netherlands (ranked higher such that it makes a difference once you complete your PhD) then you can consider Ireland.

The Ireland one is slightly higher ranked but I would say not much difference. I am not 100% sure whether good performance means PhD seat will be offered. That is why I have dilemma. If I was sure, I would have taken the risk. 

If it's a slight difference, go with Netherlands.

Do multiple international rankings put the Irish university above the Dutch university? Rankings are certainly far from objective, but I can see them being useful if one is consistently higher ranked than the other.

Since there is no guarantee that the Ireland internship will lead to a PhD, I wouldn't take the risk. Go with the Netherlands instead, particularly if the two schools are close in rankings.

I would only consider the offer in Ireland if you think you can get into a much better university as a result, and realize that this is a serious gamble. If you are satisfied that the program in the Netherlands will allow you the career you want, I would go there instead. To judge this, consider looking at the success of graduates from that program in the career you desire.

I have assumed here that I won't have issue with Netherlands. This is based on my interaction with professor and because it matches my main area of interests. 

But, you are right, there can be such a scenario and I will give it a very small percentage.

@MathCat: Thanks. I will do that. I will look at the profile of recent graduates and compare. Doing research internship may also help in new applications and you are right.