B-2 Visa

1. I plan to travel to the US with my brother, I have already applied for F-1 visa and my brother is going to apply for B-2 visa; how do you think guys, is it a good idea to buy tickets and book a room in a hotel before getting our visas and show it on a visa interview? Can that somehow help to get our visas?

2. What are the reasons in most of cases of B-2 visa refusal or denial? 

Booking a flight or hotel room before getting your visas will not help you. I wouldn't mention it at all. The advice I usually see on this is not to book flights/hotels before you get your visa, in case you are denied. 

The most common reason for problems obtaining a tourist visa has to do with ties to the applicant's home country. For people of a certain age (just out of school, no steady job, no family, no property, etc.) the Americans tend to be suspicious that they may enter the US under false pretenses and then work or stay in the country illegally. The best way to avoid this problem is to show as many ties the home country as possible (e.g. a statement showing your brother is a student at a school/university in the country, a receipt showing payment for application fees for some university, a statement from his employer certifying that he has a job, a clear plan for what he'll do while in the US and when he'll leave), and dress and act appropriately and respectfully during the interview. 

(Disclaimer: I am *not* an immigration expert.)

Also, I would like to know the following: 

My brother will travel with me but my mother will travel later (let`s say 2 months later) but with my brother. So should my brother list my mother as a travel companion in his DS-160?

I simply do not how these things work, will they get separate visas or 1 visa for both?

I simply want them (my brother and mother) to be able to visit me while I will be in the US, but the thing is my brother can and will visit me alone, but my mother will never travel alone, she will travel with my brother. So that is why I think she doesn`t need a separate visa, am I right?

So will they have one interview for both?

- Each person that enters the US will need his or her own visa and will need to have their own interview. You could probably schedule your appointments together so you can help them if their English isn't very strong. 

- I don't think your mother and brother will be considered travel companions. Your own travel arrangements don't matter for these official purposes. 

- The duration of the visa will depend on the officer who will be conducting the interview. Usually visas are issued for 10 years (I think), but they may decide to limit it, especially for young people. 

- Similarly (though you didn't ask about this), the immigration officer at the border can decide how long your brother and mother will be allowed to stay in the US. Usually people are allowed a 6-month stay but the officer can choose a shorter time; you will need to check what is written on the stamp in the passport once you pass through immigration. 

Bussiness/Tourism (temprorary visitor) (B1/B2)

Tourism/Medical treatment (B2)

Guys, which one from the following my brother should choose?

Guys, please please help me, what documents are required for B-2 visa? I can`t contact the embassy

• DS-160 + visa fee payment confirmation
  • salary report document
  • bank report
  • marriage certificate?

What else?

Yes, you are right about the above, except that the marriage certificate may not be as important. 

• Passport valid for travel to the United States - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States, unless exempt by country-specific agreements (PDF - 57 KB). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
Additional Documentation May Be Required

Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of theembassy or consulate where you will apply. Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:

• The purpose of your trip;
  • Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip. 

Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip.

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determining whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html#documentation

Yes, of course. That's included in "Your ability to pay all costs of the trip." Well you could guess a rough amount for how much the trip is going to cost, and as long as you have more than that in your bank account, it's all good.  Sometimes, your salary statement (as proof of employment) is enough, in which case the bank statement won't be needed. Either way, it's still better to take everything you can show. As for ties to home country, you may show evidence of property, and that you have family.

So as I`ve said before my brother is going to accompany me during my travel to the US. He will stay 1-2 weeks in the US with me and then come back.

And I have applied for F-1 visa and haven`t mentioned him as a Travel Companion, and he has applied for B-2 visa. 

1. He is going to put some big amount to his account to show on visa interview. Does it matter when he put that amount? 

2. Will it be a problem if he withdraws his money from his account later after showing it on the interview?

3. In his application he mentioned me as a US point of contact, while I`m not in the US, I haven`t even got a visa yet, is it okay?

4. Does he have to show some kind of document to show that we are brothers?

5. Is it okay if he attends the interview alone or I have to go with him?

Please, guys, I really need your help, thank you very much in advance.

From what I know:

1. It may or may not matter. If he does, he should say where it's from if asked. A lot of people who have more than one account aggregate the money to one account and that's okay, you just need to say so at the interview.

2. The VO wouldn't know, but I guess it's better not to withdraw too fast.

3. I don't really know about that...

4. If you guys look similar and have the same last name, it's easy to see that you're brothers, LOL.

5. If you schedule the interview together, you go together. If his interview is separate, I'm not sure if they'll let you in during his interview.

Guys, should I write some kind of letter for my brother? But I think it is not acceptable since I`m not in the US and I`m not the US citizen, what do you think, guys?

Guys, should I write some kind of letter for my brother? But I think it is not acceptable since I`m not in the US and I`m not the US citizen, what do you think, guys?

What would the letter say, exactly? I am not sure how you think it could help.

In some cases, some foreign people need an invitational letter in order to obtain a tourist visa to the United States. An international student is allowed to write such a letter, usually for their family member who is going to be visiting them. But since in your case, you won't already be in the United States, I'm not sure how helpful or useful it would be. 

Also, if you really really need to prove that you are brothers, one good way to do it is show your birth certificates. Birth certificates usually show your parent(s) names, so that might be enough. If one of you were adopted, then perhaps the appropriate paperwork from the adoption would be the right thing.