Working On a One-off Side Project With Another Adviser?

gpantel

Hi all,

There is a side project I've been thinking about that's only very slightly outside of my field that I've done some proof of concept for for already. This is not in the field I plan to pursue for my career per-se, but is closely related and is rclosely elated to something I'd been working on in undergrad.

Have any of you in the sciences ever worked on a one-off side project with a professor outside of your department? If so, how did it go? I'd really only be looking for advising in my methodology, reviewing drafts, and publishing with someone who is in the field.

Yeah, I have.  It's not a problem.  In fact, interdisciplinary work generally only helps you on the job market, because you can fill more niches than other candidates who are purely disciplinary. 

Yes, I'm doing this right now. I'm actually working on two side projects, one within my department and one outside of my department. However, both side projects and my main project have a common theme and I plan to put all papers resulting from all projects into my thesis. So, they are side projects in the sense that they are not what I'm being paid to do, and not directly related to my work with my supervisor. But they are not side projects if you define side projects as strictly things outside of my thesis work. It is important to note that my program is a multidisciplinary one though, and our dissertations tend to be very broad rather than narrow and focussed (i.e. in other programs, my side projects might not be allowed to count towards my thesis).

• 2 weeks later...

It makes sense to talk to your advisor about it first. If they're OK then that's great. 

I'd try to make sure that there is something tangible in the side project for you. Will your advisor let you put it in your thesis? Are you going to get publications out of it? 

Yes, I'm doing this right now. I'm actually working on two side projects, one within my department and one outside of my department. However, both side projects and my main project have a common theme and I plan to put all papers resulting from all projects into my thesis. So, they are side projects in the sense that they are not what I'm being paid to do, and not directly related to my work with my supervisor. But they are not side projects if you define side projects as strictly things outside of my thesis work. It is important to note that my program is a multidisciplinary one though, and our dissertations tend to be very broad rather than narrow and focussed (i.e. in other programs, my side projects might not be allowed to count towards my thesis).

It makes sense to talk to your advisor about it first. If they're OK then that's great. 

I'd try to make sure that there is something tangible in the side project for you. Will your advisor let you put it in your thesis? Are you going to get publications out of it? 

It's a method I'm working on implementing that I believe could be used towards topics that are being studied in the lab, so I'm hoping there is some potential for results. I believe you are right in that I should speak with my adviser about this.

Yep, I've done this. In my field it's encouraged - it shows that you can do independent work not under the wing of your advisor, collaborate with several groups, and it expands your research network.

I agree, though, in trying to see if you can get something tangible out of it. The brass ring would be a publication, of course.

Make sure you have the OK of your advisor.

Bench sciences are a bit more territorial of time/research. Most advisors would likely think it's a cool idea, some won't- and you don't want to end up on the bad side of your PI from that. Especially if, say, this person has a bad history with your PI, or there's competition for

grants.

Other non-bench fields are a bit looser, but most bench fields tie the graduate student to the PI very tightly, and collaborations usually involve the PI at least in some part.

Similarly, at least in Chemistry, your PI would need to be on any publications that come out of it, as a general rule.

They fund you completely, and there's an implied non-compete clause in that relationship.