Double major vs just taking relevant classes (and a few other questions)

m0use

Hi everyone, first post on the grad cafe. I just wanted to ask you nice people for some advice, but first a little background. 

I am currently attending a small state school in Texas. I graduated from high school last spring with a lot of dual credit hours, this has allowed me to complete my first year here with 90 credit hours (equivalent of being a senior). I am currently majoring in geology but have been greatly enjoying the math classes I have taken thus far (Vector Calc, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra). This has lead me to considering getting a double major in mathematics and geology, rather than just taking "useful" classes as I was originally planning. The math program at my school is mostly focused on applications, however getting a math degree would require me to take a few classes that may not be useful for me as a potential future geoscientist. These classes are: Foundations to Higher Math (intro to proofs), Introduction to Analysis (sometimes called advanced calculus), and Abstract Algebra. I will also have to take a couple of extra basic computer science courses, but I can see how these may come in handy.The other option I have is to just focus on my geology degree and take extra math classes that may be useful, including: Applied Statistics, Partial Differential Equations, and an Applied Modeling class (I may have to ask the person in charge if I will be able to take this, as it says "capstone" course on the catalog). Getting the math degree would entail the completion of both the "useful" and "useless" math classes. I am already kind of on the path to do the double major as I am taking Discrete 1 & Applied Stats over the summer, and am signed up for the Foundations to Higher Math and am doing a directed independent study in Differential Geometry next fall.

I wanted to ask you guys if it is worth taking these "useless" classes to get a math degree as an aspiring earth scientist. Clearly this depends on what I plan to do afterwards, which I am not too sure about. I am currently doing a small research problem in linear algebra and am volunteering for a hydrogeology/environmental science lab, and they are both OK. I have a feeling that getting the extra math degree might open more doors for me in the future, but at the same time I could instead just take the "useful" stuff and then take more courses in chemistry/physics/engineering. I would not mind "tailoring" my scientific research interests into something that included more math, so I have been thinking about going to grad school to do research in geophysics (I will be taking my first geophysics course next fall). I am not too worried about extending graduation time, without the double major I would probably graduate in summer of 2016 or fall of 2016 due to the lack of geology electives being offered at my school. Adding the second major would likely make me graduate in spring of 2017 or summer of 2017, which is fine. The main schedule concern I have has to do with field camp, as I am not sure if I taking field camp as your final course and then graduating in the summer is allowable.

Any advice about my situation, or any experiences you can share about how useful having a double major was in your graduate school experience and admissions is greatly appreciated. Thank you!  ^_^

Edited by m0use

Since you seem to be very far ahead in your studies I would say you should try it. Double majoring can be tough, especially with the majors your choosing but I feel that it "battle tests" one and forces them to become a better student and thinker. It also will force you to gain/maintain your time management skills. 

There's no major out there where every class you take will be useful to you in the future, there's always a little fluff. That being said, I feel that a math major would help you learn to analyze problems in a unique way - which could be quite useful to you as a future geoscientist. 

So in conclusion - go for the double major. However, if after 2-3 semesters - it becomes too burdensome and detrimental to your GPA (i.e. it takes an immense effort to keep up good grades or your grades start dropping too rapidly), then I would just complete a minor in math. It may be very helpful if you could participate in a summer REU in math and earth science to give you some hands on experience in research in those fields. 

I think double majoring can be good, but I also think, depending on what aspects of earth science you want to study, taking 6 math courses than some advanced physics or advanced chemistry courses prepares one better for research in Earth Sciences. I also suggest taking a few (not a) computer science courses.

Most earth scientists (even computational) really only need Cal1-3, ODEs, PDEs, and Linear alegebra.  A statistics course is also good. Add in python, C++ , classical mechanics, quantum if you are geochem, and a few chemistry courses and your pretty much the idea candidate for any theoretical work. 

I agree with the others--go for the double major. In addition to everything else said, if you are planning on graduate school, I think having more courses in University will help you. I'm surprised that you were able to get so many credit hours from high school counted (2 years equivalent it appears?). While this is a great achievement, I think some people might view university credits earned in high school a little differently than university credits earned while in your undergraduate program. In my opinion, you have more to gain if you use your dual credit hours to allow you to take more University courses and get that double major instead of simply finishing University earlier.

Also, GeoDUDE mentioned, if you want to be a strong candidate for theoretical work, it might help to have an official certification of a double major in Math. Sure, you can take all of the useful math courses, but someone that does a quick glance of your degree name / CV might not realise that you have the math background. And as eteshoe said, there's always fluff in any major--things that are not directly useful to you, but very important to help you think like a person trained in that field. 

Would it make more sense for you to minor in math, rather than doing the major? It might maximize your ability to take the classes you find useful and also your ability to pursue other courses in related areas like physics, chemistry, and biology. You should also try to take advantage of any internship opportunities you school offers, in addition to pursuing NSF REU and other summer research programs (like SURF).

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to bring up the issue of federal financial aid. Unless the rules have changed in the past two years, you can only received federal aid (e.g., direct loans, Pell grant) for 1.5 times the number of credit hours required for your degree. Most degrees require around 120 credits, so you can get federal aid until you surpass 160 credits. I don't know how it applies to double majors, but it's something to keep in mind if you plan on taking a lot of courses beyond what is required to get your degree.

I changed majors several times before settling into my environmental biology program and ended up entering my final year with 163 credits (which included transfer and AP credits). The financial aid office granted me a 1 semester extension due to having several minors (but did not consider changing majors a valid reason), and I had to take out a private loan to cover part of the last semester (did have a state grant and partial scholarship, but needed federal aid too).

Of course, if you are fully supported by non-federal aid, this may not be an issue for you. However, scholarships and grants may also have stipulations related to how many credits you can have. Just be aware so you don't find yourself left with a few required courses you put off and no way to pay for them.