Dullest semester EVER post-bacc COMD USU

Does anyone else feel like the final semester for COMD classes at USU is ridiculously project/exam intensive AND boring? While the first two semesters were not necessarily a piece of cake, at least the classes were interesting and the subject matter was not excessively repetitive. This semester, we're learning about Speech Science (ARGH, I know no one likes speech science), Lang. Assessment (literally a repeat of last semester COMD 3120+4450 combined), Audiology and Aural Rehab (don't know why I need to spend 12 weeks learning about AUD, but OK).

Does anyone have any tips to get over this semester? How important would it be for me to score A's in all my current classes if I am already going to grad school in the Fall? 

Vent kind of over :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm starting to burnout and it's not even fall yet.  <_< I need to take 3 courses this summer, but since our acceptances are conditional upon completion of our prerequisites, I encourage you to do your best. Check with your school what grade you need for your courses. I need a B. I personally want to do well because I'm paying for them out-of-pocket. When I think about the time I spent slaving at a minimum wage job saving to earn the tuition for these courses, it motivates me to give my all and focus on the prize at the end, that which is what we have worked to attain: Graduate school.

It's important to take them one step at a time. Do mindfulness meditation, eat ice cream, exercise or go for a walk around the block. Have you set a goal for the summer? I'm going on a small trip for a week before I start grad school with my family, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks for the tips, but I have a toddler at home full-time who barely spares me any meditation time and I try to involve him in as many activities/interactions to cut down on tv, etc. SADLY, Ice cream and candies are out since I am on a diet, so being out in nature seems to be the only viable option :) I agree with you in terms of paying out of pocket since, I too, am throwing away my savings on this post-bacc so that I could get into grad school, which I did, so thank god at least that part paid off.

But it just seems that these classes are insanely laborious, perhaps since they are senior level classes? But, part of my problem is not only that the classes are demanding, but they are not that interesting...which might just be a personal opinion. 

And I agree with the B grade threshold...I think that is an ASHA requirement. I have yet to score a B for my COMD classes, but maybe this semester might just be ground breaking in that :) Too much going on!

Edited by SLP2B2015

Like the other poster mentioned, try to think of these classes as something you are paying for (even if you have a full scholarship lol) and that you need to get your money's worth. I understand the burned-out feeling, but I'm guessing that because these are required classes you will need to have had them in order to do well on our future board/licensing exams.

Plus you may find info from the "boring" classes useful in clinical practice. You might think audiology is irrelevant until you have a five-year-old client with a hearing aid sitting in front of you. Understanding the specifics of his/her hearing loss might better enable you to treat them effectively. One of my instructors talked about how bored she was during a cleft-palate lecture and she thought it wasn't a real concern as we are in the US, not a third world country. Lo and behold, one of her first clients in the school system here in the US was an unrepaired cleft palate client from the Phillipines.

Audiology and Aural Rehab (don't know why I need to spend 12 weeks learning about AUD, but OK).

Because you as SLP may be the one person out of all the child's numerous therapists and teachers to recognize that his/her articulation errors were "red flags" for hearing loss. My daughter was mixing up consonant pairs and no one put 2 + 2 together except for her school SLP. Everyone else was just relying on the previous normal audiology exam results but the SLP was the one who told me to go get her retested. Thank goodness she did, because that test revealed profound hearing loss that my daughter was compensating for by lipreading.

But it just seems that these classes are insanely laborious, perhaps since they are senior level classes? But, part of my problem is not only that the classes are demanding, but they are not that interesting...which might just be a personal opinion. 

Yeah, they're very taxing, but it might help if you re-orient you thinking in a meaning-centered approach and look at the long-term benefits that you will gain for your client and your skill set. For example, speech science is beneficial because you learn about the mechanics of the power-source-filter relationship. Without respiration, you have nothing to drive the pressure needed to produce your consonants. That can apply to someone who have respiratory disorders subsequent to neurological disorders (e.g. Parkinson's Disease or stroke). Our field is not a cookie-cutter so we need to be able to back-up our treatments approaches. One of the things that I have learned is our field is not very well known or is ranked below the healthcare totem pole. The OT, PT and AUD are held in higher esteem because they have the support of orthopedic surgeons, neurologists and ENT's. Our knowledge of our science will add credibility to our profession and not just mumbo jumbo la la la type of quack treatments out there. We deserve to be recgonized so more people can be helped.

By the way, speech sceince was my favorite subject of all at USU :) The prof is the so organized, so warm, responsive and accommodating. I love how he provided study guides. It's all about understanding the concepts and not intensive memorization like the other 2 semesters which were quite exhausting to be honest but thankfully, it all worked out in the end.

Thanks, ImHis, for providing an alternate perspective on this! It really helps how our education really actually applies in the field. I think one of the drawbacks of doing an online COMD degree is that sometimes you feel a little detached from reality because everything happens through the medium of the internet. As in, you learn based off of the information provided to you, yet the structure is not the same as it would be if you are in a classroom setting, or at least I miss that physical presence. I think that is why I was just thinking to myself today in terms of how much I learned from my observations as opposed to from the lectures/readings. Again, I think it depends on the individual too, but I think I would have been less frustrated with the courses if I had an inspiring professor lecture me in a classroom setting. 

One thing that is different for me too is that I am trying to focus on my studies while raising kids full-time. Often times the latter half of things can be so taxing that you feel completely burned out and just want things to not be so cumbersome for a change :) I think what's hitting me hard this semester is how exam and project intensive it is, compared to other semesters (future COMD USU students watch out!). For example, just COMD 5200 has 6 proctored quizzes for 12 weeks of study; essentially a quiz every other week. ProctorU, though convenient, is costly, so this semester I'll probably be driving to the library probably 2/week. 

Edited by SLP2B2015

Yeah, they're very taxing, but it might help if you re-orient you thinking in a meaning-centered approach and look at the long-term benefits that you will gain for your client and your skill set. For example, speech science is beneficial because you learn about the mechanics of the power-source-filter relationship. Without respiration, you have nothing to drive the pressure needed to produce your consonants. That can apply to someone who have respiratory disorders subsequent to neurological disorders (e.g. Parkinson's Disease or stroke). Our field is not a cookie-cutter so we need to be able to back-up our treatments approaches. One of the things that I have learned is our field is not very well known or is ranked below the healthcare totem pole. The OT, PT and AUD are held in higher esteem because they have the support of orthopedic surgeons, neurologists and ENT's. Our knowledge of our science will add credibility to our profession and not just mumbo jumbo la la la type of quack treatments out there. We deserve to be recgonized so more people can be helped.

By the way, speech sceince was my favorite subject of all at USU :) The prof is the so organized, so warm, responsive and accommodating. I love how he provided study guides. It's all about understanding the concepts and not intensive memorization like the other 2 semesters which were quite exhausting to be honest but thankfully, it all worked out in the end.

Great points - especially if you are looking to go into the medical side of SLP. That being said, I was wondering where you heard about the healthcare ranking system / totem pole? I would imagine that the Audiologists work more closely with the MDs you mentioned but not necessarily PT or OT (except for orthopedic surgeons). But maybe it depends on the type of hospital and area of the country? One of the SLPs I work with is actually the director of rehab services for a big hospital, so she is "above" PT and OT so to speak.

The importance behind some of the anatomy / physiology we are responsible for (like in Speech Science) and in general the area(s) we specialize in became evident to me when she described her involvement in video fluoroscopy studies (where she sometimes catches previously missed tracheoesophageal fistulas, etc) whereas PT is not qualified to do so. This is something I find truly exciting!

Sorry....right there with you but with difference classes. I've done USU's classes too, but not their full program.

Audiology is an easy A. The info is completely fed to you via the lectures - if you have time, work ahead in the class This class doesn't require deeper understanding like speech science does. Watch lecture, take good notes, and do as many "weeks" worth as you can in a week and take exams early. Get this one out of the way.

I had a love hate relationship with speech science, but work those study guides. If you understand everything in there, you've got your A. Watch his lecture with the study guide in hand so you can kind of fill in the answers as you go and then study from that. The exams are well written and make you think and apply the knowledge. As for his quizzes - busy work. Don't read the chapter - the questions go in order of the textbook section. Scan for the answers - the wording the the same and doesn't make you think. Nothing in the quizzes is on the exam unless it's in the lecture.  I like the projects because they helped reinforce the lecture material.

This summer I'm doing clinical methods at another school which I'm looking forward to (just started today). And bio101 and chem101 which are making me angry, bitter, and lazy for a million reasons. i also feel like I'm about to earn my first non-A's.

Edited by MonicaSLP

Sorry....right there with you but with difference classes. I've done USU's classes too, but not their full program.

Audiology is an easy A. The info is completely fed to you via the lectures - if you have time, work ahead in the class This class doesn't require deeper understanding like speech science does. Watch lecture, take good notes, and do as many "weeks" worth as you can in a week and take exams early. Get this one out of the way.

I had a love hate relationship with speech science, but work those study guides. If you understand everything in there, you've got your A. Watch his lecture with the study guide in hand so you can kind of fill in the answers as you go and then study from that. The exams are well written and make you think and apply the knowledge. As for his quizzes - busy work. Don't read the chapter - the questions go in order of the textbook section. Scan for the answers - the wording the the same and doesn't make you think. Nothing in the quizzes is on the exam unless it's in the lecture.  I like the projects because they helped reinforce the lecture material.

This summer I'm doing clinical methods at another school which I'm looking forward to (just started today). And bio101 and chem101 which are making me angry, bitter, and lazy for a million reasons. i also feel like I'm about to earn my first non-A's.

Thanks so much for your feedback, MonicaSLP. The information you stated about AUD and SP SC is really helpful and encouraging, so once again, thanks for that! Did you have any experience in taking COMD 5200 (language assessment) and COMD 5330 (Aural Rehab)? I am not sure how I feel about Aural Rehab yet, but I am not very comfortable with 5200 because of the co-professor teaching the course, K. Filmohela. 

I took BIO and CHEM during my first undergrad, but I can imagine why taking intro courses can make you feel angry, bitter and lazy in the semester before you start grad school :) I am so ecstatic to be going to grad school in the Fall, but a part of me also wishes I could have just a teeny tiny break before the grad school mania hits :) If I feel so burned out right now, god knows what state of mind I will be come September, lol.

Great points - especially if you are looking to go into the medical side of SLP. That being said, I was wondering where you heard about the healthcare ranking system / totem pole? I would imagine that the Audiologists work more closely with the MDs you mentioned but not necessarily PT or OT (except for orthopedic surgeons). But maybe it depends on the type of hospital and area of the country? One of the SLPs I work with is actually the director of rehab services for a big hospital, so she is "above" PT and OT so to speak.

The importance behind some of the anatomy / physiology we are responsible for (like in Speech Science) and in general the area(s) we specialize in became evident to me when she described her involvement in video fluoroscopy studies (where she sometimes catches previously missed tracheoesophageal fistulas, etc) whereas PT is not qualified to do so. This is something I find truly exciting!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the swallow study and your mentor's neat discovery! Medical SLP is where I hope to focus in the long-term especially in voice, oral motor and swallow. I just love the science and the diversity of caseloads.

Where I live, balance disorders treatment is also in the scope of the PT. There's a private practice near me that specializes in balance disorders, and the ENT, audiologist and PT work together to manage vertigo patients. The ENT would check for structural issues, AUD will run the hearing evaluation and the PT would treat if there was a BPPV diagnosis. It's quite efficient and allows the AUD can focus on testing instead

Thanks for sharing your experience with the swallow study and your mentor's neat discovery! Medical SLP is where I hope to focus in the long-term especially in voice, oral motor and swallow. I just love the science and the diversity of caseloads.

Where I live, balance disorders treatment is also in the scope of the PT. There's a private practice near me that specializes in balance disorders, and the ENT, audiologist and PT work together to manage vertigo patients. The ENT would check for structural issues, AUD will run the hearing evaluation and the PT would treat if there was a BPPV diagnosis. It's quite efficient and allows the AUD to focus on testing instead.

As for that healthcare totem pole, it was one of the post-workday talks that I heard from my friends who are nurses and a few SLPs I shadowed because of the behavior of some doctors they have observed.They remarked at how doctors have a lot of power and say in their administration and in the hospital decisions. It's also possibly related to their privelage to diagnose and how other workers have to report to them. This is evident in how PAs and NPs need a doctor to supervise them even though PA can technically diagnose and in some states, they can't even prescribe without the doctor's signature. The same goes for the case of radiologists who can diagnose the swallow disorder even though the SLP runs the barium study. But when I think about it, although they may have a lot of privelage, their main focus is primary care and patient safety. And in the case of a medical emergency, it is the doctor who has had more years of training in dealing with those situations. I'm going to keep an open mind though, since I haven't yet entered the workforce.

Edited by ImHis

Thanks, ImHis, for providing an alternate perspective on this! It really helps how our education really actually applies in the field. I think one of the drawbacks of doing an online COMD degree is that sometimes you feel a little detached from reality because everything happens through the medium of the internet. As in, you learn based off of the information provided to you, yet the structure is not the same as it would be if you are in a classroom setting, or at least I miss that physical presence. I think that is why I was just thinking to myself today in terms of how much I learned from my observations as opposed to from the lectures/readings. Again, I think it depends on the individual too, but I think I would have been less frustrated with the courses if I had an inspiring professor lecture me in a classroom setting. 

One thing that is different for me too is that I am trying to focus on my studies while raising kids full-time. Often times the latter half of things can be so taxing that you feel completely burned out and just want things to not be so cumbersome for a change :) I think what's hitting me hard this semester is how exam and project intensive it is, compared to other semesters (future COMD USU students watch out!). For example, just COMD 5200 has 6 proctored quizzes for 12 weeks of study; essentially a quiz every other week. ProctorU, though convenient, is costly, so this semester I'll probably be driving to the library probably 2/week. 

I can relate. Distance education was hard for me because I struggled in the practical courses like anatomy. I was used to have models/cadavers like on campus. I ended up going to observe a SLP just so I can have a visual of the facial muscles and talk about the structures of swallowing during a swallow therapy. I was also worried about taking 3120 because of the lab assignments. A few years ago, they didn't have any videos for them apparantly, but glad they made them by the time I registered. The most rewarding part of USU was being able to learn how to learn large volumes of information. I also found out I studied best when I doodled on paper and spoke aloud so I came out of USU knowing my learning style - hands on and visual and I'm very grateful for that.

Taking care of  kids can be a good practice for when you finally have clinicals too ;) I'm just saying. I'm struggling to keep a part-time job with my courses right now. I'm going to buy a planner to organize a schedule. I've just been checking things off all this time and I don't think that'll be practical in the fall.

Edited by ImHis

Oh, I hear you both on the trying to juggle school & parenting and the need for a ton of proctored exams. I'm taking 3100 this summer and it's 5 proctored exams, ugh!

Oh, I hear you both on the trying to juggle school & parenting and the need for a ton of proctored exams. I'm taking 3100 this summer and it's 5 proctored exams, ugh!

Crimson wife, you will do gr8 with COMD 3100. I found the anatomy courses to be the easiest and got A's in those courses even without cracking open the book. The best thing is to read the lecture slides and then YouTube the structures being discussed on "ANATOMYZONE." ANATOMYZONE literally breaks down all the major parts discussed in the lectures AND provides you with a 3D model visual experience. PLUS, don't forget quizlets. They are phenomenal and have all the vital info presented in the exams.

Edited by SLP2B2015

Thanks so much for your feedback, MonicaSLP. The information you stated about AUD and SP SC is really helpful and encouraging, so once again, thanks for that! Did you have any experience in taking COMD 5200 (language assessment) and COMD 5330 (Aural Rehab)? I am not sure how I feel about Aural Rehab yet, but I am not very comfortable with 5200 because of the co-professor teaching the course, K. Filmohela. 

I took BIO and CHEM during my first undergrad, but I can imagine why taking intro courses can make you feel angry, bitter and lazy in the semester before you start grad school :) I am so ecstatic to be going to grad school in the Fall, but a part of me also wishes I could have just a teeny tiny break before the grad school mania hits :) If I feel so burned out right now, god knows what state of mind I will be come September, lol.

I didn't take either of those, but KF also taught 2500, correct? If so, not a fan. I wanted to like that class because I was excited to learn more about the field and get my first real intro into it, but she was so dry and had no passion. I started questioning my overall decision because this class gave me no spark at all, and I was hoping it would help gear me up and get me excited for this long journey...

I'm taking 5700(Speech Science) right now and didn't do as well as I'd hope on the first exam.  Anyone have study tips?  Honestly I should have devoted more time to absorbing/studying I felt the test was very fair, I just didn't study correctly/well.  Anyone who has taken it or is a good online student, any advice?  I am not the best "online" student, which is why I take the majority in person...I need an A in it though so got to step it up.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm taking 5700(Speech Science) right now and didn't do as well as I'd hope on the first exam.  Anyone have study tips?  Honestly I should have devoted more time to absorbing/studying I felt the test was very fair, I just didn't study correctly/well.  Anyone who has taken it or is a good online student, any advice?  I am not the best "online" student, which is why I take the majority in person...I need an A in it though so got to step it up.

Thanks in advance :)

I took it last semester.

Print the study guide. For his lectures, each is fairly brief and really only covers 1-2 topics. Find the study guide questions that relate to the lecture you're watching and take notes under each study guide point. Write the explanations in your own words after each brief lecture, because it seems like more information than it actually is, and if you move on to the next video you'll get overwhelmed with info. So basically, one video and the corresponding study guide points at a time. Understand it before you move on, or it'll be too easy to get lost. You have to understand each concept and not just memorize definitions because of the way he writes the tests.

After you do that for each unit, when you go to study you should have a very thorough study guide, and shouldn't need to re-watch videos unless there's something specific you need help with. If you can look at a blank copy of the study guide and thorough explanations from your head, you should be ok.

If there's something you don't understand, he's good at answering discussion board questions. Good luck!

I took it last semester.

Print the study guide. For his lectures, each is fairly brief and really only covers 1-2 topics. Find the study guide questions that relate to the lecture you're watching and take notes under each study guide point. Write the explanations in your own words after each brief lecture, because it seems like more information than it actually is, and if you move on to the next video you'll get overwhelmed with info. So basically, one video and the corresponding study guide points at a time. Understand it before you move on, or it'll be too easy to get lost. You have to understand each concept and not just memorize definitions because of the way he writes the tests.

After you do that for each unit, when you go to study you should have a very thorough study guide, and shouldn't need to re-watch videos unless there's something specific you need help with. If you can look at a blank copy of the study guide and thorough explanations from your head, you should be ok.

If there's something you don't understand, he's good at answering discussion board questions. Good luck!

Agree with MonicaSLP on this one. While I didn't pass the exam with flying colors, I did comparably well than the class mean and my tactic was to listen to the lectures, find quizlets on the study guide and then work on quizzing myself on the quizlets. The concepts are definitely different to most other classes, but his lectures really break things down, so that's awesome.

If anyone has ANY tips for COMD 5200, PLEASE share them with me :(:( I am very close to a B- in that class simply because I absolutely do not understand the way that class works. I do just fine on my quizlet quizzes and I understand the concepts, but for the life of me, the exams completely elude my senses. I almost feel like the questions are out there to confuse you. I actually do well on the essay questions verses the mcqs, weird as it seems :(

• 1 year later...

Can anyone fill me in on Acoustics and Anatomy of the Ear (ComD 3400)? Trying to decide whether I can handle taking that class, Disorders of Articulation and Phonology, and Grad Prep/Observation all next semester. I work full time and am a mom. Currently taking two classes a semester but will need to add GradPrep/Observ. during one of the next three semesters and trying to figure out which classes would be least difficult to juggle. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The info I've gotten on this thread is so helpful.

15 hours ago, LisaEspinoza said:

Can anyone fill me in on Acoustics and Anatomy of the Ear (ComD 3400)? Trying to decide whether I can handle taking that class, Disorders of Articulation and Phonology, and Grad Prep/Observation all next semester. I work full time and am a mom. Currently taking two classes a semester but will need to add GradPrep/Observ. during one of the next three semesters and trying to figure out which classes would be least difficult to juggle. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The info I've gotten on this thread is so helpful.

I didn't think 3400 was bad. It's been almost 2 years since I took it, so I went back and checked. It was all graded quizzes with proctored exams, a not-too-bad group project and an optional inner ear model which is definitely worth doing because it's extra points, and it's a great learning experience. 

If you're good with anatomy/memorization, I think it will be fine. 

Have you taken 4450? I actually took it with 3120, and I thought it was good to take them together. There's a lot of overlap between the two. They both had exams with labs and other projects (one a big group project and one a paper) that I remember. 

Edited by slporbust2016

I took 3400 and 5900 together and thought it was a good balance. I wouldn't take 3400 and 3120 together as they are both fairly challenging.

It's funny seeing this old thread resurrected now that I'm 11/12 of the way through the USU 2nd bachelor's. I only have 5070 left to take next semester, plus I'm taking 4680 (Children with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss) to finish up the Deafblindness Intervention certificate.

I don't think 5200 is a repeat of 3120+4450 at all. Those classes focus mostly on the "speech" aspect of SLP while 5200 focuses on the "language" part. I actually wish that the continuation course to 5200 (COMD 6020) was part of the 2nd bachelor's rather than the master's since 5200 only covers birth through age 5. I wish that there had been a way for me to have tested out of 5100 and/or 3500 and taken 6020 instead.

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

I took 3400 and 5900 together and thought it was a good balance. I wouldn't take 3400 and 3120 together as they are both fairly challenging.

It's funny seeing this old thread resurrected now that I'm 11/12 of the way through the USU 2nd bachelor's. I only have 5070 left to take next semester, plus I'm taking 4680 (Children with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss) to finish up the Deafblindness Intervention certificate.

I don't think 5200 is a repeat of 3120+4450 at all. Those classes focus mostly on the "speech" aspect of SLP while 5200 focuses on the "language" part. I actually wish that the continuation course to 5200 (COMD 6020) was part of the 2nd bachelor's rather than the master's since 5200 only covers birth through age 5. I wish that there had been a way for me to have tested out of 5100 and/or 3500 and taken 6020 instead.

5070 was my favorite class of the entire program. I finished it way early because it was so fun to study, and I got a little carried away. Dromey is a fantastic teacher and course designer which is something that I can't say for all professors. 

18 hours ago, babykoala said:

*cough*Filimoehala*cough*

Snort! Also, a certain Aural Rehab professor comes to mind (and I actually have a professional interest in the topic so I really wish they had found somebody else, like Dr. Pitt, who teaches the grad-level course on cochlear implants).

19 hours ago, slporbust2016 said:

5070 was my favorite class of the entire program. I finished it way early because it was so fun to study, and I got a little carried away. Dromey is a fantastic teacher and course designer which is something that I can't say for all professors. 

I actually started taking it this semester because I was hoping to finish my degree but had to drop it since it was too hard in addition to 4450 and 5200. I never took physics in either high school or college and hated the acoustics module in 3400.

Sounds like a good plan. It's a lot more interesting and better taught than 3400's acoustics model which wasn't bad. He just walks you through all the labs, and he's super-responsive to questions. 

I did take high school physics, but that was 20 years before I took that class. ;)