Meeting with hesitant professor

I have a meeting this Monday with a professor that I really want/need a recommendation from. I have had her for two upper division classes that we had a good relationship in. Along with my advisor/professor, I should have two really good letters.

When I first contacedt her for a letter she was more than willing and offered to meet with me to discuss my plans. She is a straight history professor and I am looking at public history programs. When she learned this, she tried to withdraw her offer until I defended choosing her briefly through email. She has agreed to meet with me to discuss it further.  

The thing is, it is not out of the ordinary to ask for a history professor's rec for a public history/museum studies program because there are very few public history undergrad programs. However, I am worried that she may still pull out, which screws me over. 

I am brining the rough draft of my SoP for my #1 choice and the rough draft of my CV. What else can I bring with me/say to obtain the rec?

You can't force her to write you a LoR, but you can convince her to do so. Explain to her why you want to pursue your particular field, what you've done to prepare for it (aka your CV and experiences), and why you've come to her. Her role as your history professor and your close interactions with her are both good reasons. 

Possibly when she meets you she'll explain why she considered retracting her support. Before she gets to that step, just make sure you come prepared. Let her know these are your career choices and you would be very grateful to have her as your reference. Beyond that, there's nothing else you can do. The decision is still ultimately in her court. Even though this may seem like a hard to miss LoR, if she's hesitant about it you have to be cautious whether she will be willing to write you a strong letter. Figure that out in the meeting so you can decide if you should still have her be your reference.

Good luck!

I don't think the professor is hesitant because they don't think you are a good student (or they would not said yes in the first place). I think your professor is actually trying to help you because she does not think that her letter will be very helpful (and maybe not worth their time as well). This meeting is a chance for the two of you to discuss this and hopefully at the end, both of you will be on the same page! As the above poster said, be prepared to explain why you think she is the best choice for your LOR.

You can't force her to write you a LoR, but you can convince her to do so. Explain to her why you want to pursue your particular field, what you've done to prepare for it (aka your CV and experiences), and why you've come to her. Her role as your history professor and your close interactions with her are both good reasons. 

Possibly when she meets you she'll explain why she considered retracting her support. Before she gets to that step, just make sure you come prepared. Let her know these are your career choices and you would be very grateful to have her as your reference. Beyond that, there's nothing else you can do. The decision is still ultimately in her court. Even though this may seem like a hard to miss LoR, if she's hesitant about it you have to be cautious whether she will be willing to write you a strong letter. Figure that out in the meeting so you can decide if you should still have her be your reference.

Good luck!

Yeah. that's the thing right? It's okay to be her decision. All I can do is prepare my butt of. Well, she doesn't write it I don't have a second reference, so wish me luck!

I would think of the meeting less in terms of trying to convince her to write the letter and more in terms of understanding her hesitation and listening to her advice. She may know a bit about admission to these types of programs and may know that her letter will not be helpful, like TakeruK mentioned. She may even be able to give advice about who you should ask instead. If you really think that she knows you better than other options then I would tell her that and explain why you think her letter will be best. She may agree that because she knows you better, her letter will be better. Alternatively, she may think that X professor is more well known in that community which would give you a big advantage to know.

I asked a professor of mine who I loved for a letter of rec for grad programs this year. While they initially agreed, when I met with them to discuss the letter, and explained what my future project was, they tried very heavily to dissuade me from using them. They said their preference was not to write the letter. My feelings were hurt. But they also told me they felt two professors in our department who I had worked with (one who I had worked with much less intensely than I had with them) would be more strategic for my application. They also said they'd write the letter if both other professors told me no.

After getting over my own pride issues, I asked the other professor I mentioned. I know for a fact that his letter of rec was the reason I was accepted to a program I had been rejected from the first time I applied, because the program told me as much. It was the difference maker. (I didn't go there, but it was a good offer to have on the table.)

Long story to say your professor might be doing something similar and, if they feel other professors might be more strategic, it could be good to listen to them.