Advice Needed: Choosing Applied Math/Computer Science Programs

Hello everyone! I've been browsing this forum for a few days, trying to avoid having to ask a question, but ultimately, I think I need a bit of advice.

I'm planning to apply to an applied math or math-oriented computer science graduate program for fall 2016 admission. I'm actually graduating in December, however, so schools with spring 2016 admission are also a possibility for me.

A bit about me:

Undergrad: Small-ish public school with ZERO recognition

Degrees: Chemical Engineering and Mathematics (separate B.S. degrees)

GPA: 4.0

Type of Student: Domestic White Female

CourseworkWhat you might expect from engineering/math, plus some programming courses (C++, Java, MATLAB, web design).

Recommendations: Probably mediocre.

GRE: 170 on quantitative, 90+ percentile on verbal and written.

Subject GRE: Have not taken, but will take the math one if required by a school to which I decide to apply.

Research: Some, but only in physical sciences (i.e. physics, geology, chemistry -- no math or computer science). Not one of my passions, though I wonder if this has to do with the limited opportunities at the school I attend.

I'm interested in both MS and PhD programs, with the primary concern being funding opportunities. I'm not that interested in individual research, and I do not currently plan to enter academia (although this could change, so I'd like to leave the option open). I'm more interested in working for the government than industry, so D.C. area might be a good location? Also, I'm not opposed to looking at English-speaking universities outside the U.S., although I assume that my funding chances would be not great.

Here's what I'm looking for in a grad school:

1. Small-ish school, preferably <15k total enrollment.
  2. NOT a heavily independent research-based program.
  3. Either a computer science program with lots of math, or a math program with lots of computer science.
  4. Prefer a "campus" setting, i.e. not directly integrated into a surrounding city.

Currently Considering:

UChicago (Computer Science), Rice (Applied Math)

I've visited both campuses, love the feel of both, and am certain that I would feel comfortable at both schools.

Realistically, I know that I need to apply to some less prestigious schools, but I'm having trouble finding schools that fit my needs. Any suggestions as to universities/programs to look at would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would recommend an MS if you are not all that interested in research and not looking for independent studies. Are you willing to leave the US? What subfields in maths and/or computer science are you interested in?

From what I've seen, it's very uncommon to get scholarships/funding for master's degrees, and that's an important factor for me. And independent research may not be my favorite, but I don't oppose it. I just prefer the idea of a more structured program. But I'd like to keep my mind open to both possibilities, for now, at least.

And as for subfields, I know that I'm interested in numerical analysis and computational math, and also perhaps data analysis and data visualization (although I have less familiarity with these).

Here's what I'm looking for in a grad school:

• Small-ish school, preferably <15k total enrollment.
  • NOT a heavily independent research-based program.
  • Either a computer science program with lots of math, or a math program with lots of computer science.
  • Prefer a "campus" setting, i.e. not directly integrated into a surrounding city.

These are strange criteria for picking a grad program. The overall enrollment won't have much bearing on the graduate experience (though department and program size are things to care about). You're going to be spending all your on-campus time either in classes, in your office/lab, around department common areas, or in a library or coffee shop, so I'd re-think how much the campus vs. integrated urban setting criterion matters to you if you'll be in the same one or two buildings all day. It's nothing like the undergraduate experience.

And as for subfields, I know that I'm interested in numerical analysis and computational math, and also perhaps data analysis and data visualization (although I have less familiarity with these).

The first two subfields are a focus of applied math departments. Data analysis is the focus of statistics and biostatistics departments. Data visualization is more of a niche topic addressed by some CS and statistics departments as well as in various programs related to HCI and informatics.

Based on your comments about structured programs not being interested in independent research, I'd recommend against applying to PhD programs. A PhD is years spent lacking structure banging your head against a wall doing research in preparation for a career to continue doing that. I think you're going to be happier with a master's. Funded master's programs will involve TA or research assistant work to earn your keep, though, and often require a thesis involving original research. If you are really research averse you might prefer a coursework-only master's. Lack of funding is not so bad, though, since the kinds of careers you get after applied math/statistics/CS degrees pay well enough. It's usually a lot cheaper to go to a public university at in-state rates than to a private one, too.

Edited by wine in coffee cups