Huntsville, TX

SeanDDavies

• 1 month later...

I never went to Sam, so I don't know what they know but as someone who grew up down the road, Huntsville's kind of lame. The Woodlands is a good 45 minutes away by interstate, so it's possible but not that comfortable. However, there is A LOT more going on in The Woodlands. That said, you could live in Huntsville and weekend in The Woodlands--less commute, still lots of play!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to SHSU for my undergrad and I would consider it a "young" college town. It's expanding and changing despite the old townees fighting for a static and boring town. It started with Huntsville becoming a wet city (alcohol allowed) back in the 70s, and surprise surprise they even allow bars to stay open to 2am now (starting my sophomore year!).  I started in '08 and graduated in '13 and there were huge changes on campus and within the city as well which is for the better as the student size has increased more and more each year. 

Huntsville isn't small enough to know everyone, but isn't large enough to get lost and not run into someone you know. It's small enough that most areas you can bike comfortably or walk if you enjoy longer walks to and around the area. It's incredibly safe considering the state prison is in your backyard. Some would consider it quiet and underwhelming if you're used to a big city, but often times it's what you make of it. There are plenty of natural areas, hidden grassy coves which are great for studying, some super cool underappreciated bars (the ones you won't find the frats/soro people at), and interesting people in the town.

It's definitely possible to commute from the Woodlands but prepare for some of the worst traffic depending on the time you leave to and from home. I would definitely say try living in Huntsville at first. The living and board is cheap and can't be beat. Once you begin to visit the local establishments (bars, diners, etc.) and find a close group of friends or colleagues it makes the experience much more enjoyable.