Choosing where to apply - help!

violet09

Hi all,

I am a rising senior, and I want to apply to grad school this fall.

I want to go to grad school because I like what I'm studying now (earth sciences), but actually I don't really have a good idea of what specific topic I want to work on in my MS/PhD. I did work in labs before, and while I like what I did there, I am not really sure if that's what I want to continue doing - I mean, there could be so many different topics/fields out there...

Since I can't identify a specific topic that I want to study, I can't really look out for specific mentors and now I am not sure how to find a school that truly fits me... Should I just apply to schools that have good earth sciences programs? Any advice?

Edited by violet09

You could talk with some of the professors at your uni from earth sciences who could probably shed you some light into how the field is, and explain to you its various directions. Also do some research on your own in the summer months, looking out for currently popular research areas. Go through the websites of the top earth sciences programs (top 20-25) and take note of which areas are stronger in each. In addition, start prepping for the GRE.

After you've gotten an idea of which direction you want to go (through your research and advice from professors), choose universities that fit you in terms of your research interest and GPA and start getting everything for the application ready.

If you want to go into a PhD program (or MS/PhD i.e. MS leading to PhD), you're going have to show enough research experience. Talk with a professor into getting a research assistantship and try to get something published in your senior year.

Good luck!

If you can't identify a specific topic, then you need to take some time off before going to graduate school. Seriously. If you insist on going to grad school, then do a master's program, not a MS/PhD program. 

Yep, this is better. It's also why I'm doing a MS and not a direct PhD or MS/PhD.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can't identify a specific topic, then you need to take some time off before going to graduate school. Seriously. If you insist on going to grad school, then do a master's program, not a MS/PhD program. 

I really really really second this (or third it, actually).

I know it might seem like there is some rush to keep going right on, but believe me, there isn't. Even if what you do in the meantime is not directly related to your field, it will give you valuable experience, and unpressured time to explore your field on your own. Your brain is still developing, so is your world view - let it gel a bit, stretch a bit, explore a bit, and re-gel, and I would bet your ideas will become much clearer.

Same thing, if you feel you must now go to grad school, apply only at Master's level. From what I understand from my own grad circles, and the folks on this forum, is that having a focus when applying at PhD level is essential. BUT, just because you don't have one yet, is not necessarily a bad thing - it just means you're not quite at the stage to apply. You will be, but just be patient with yourself and give it time.

In fact, knowing right now that you want to go to grad school, but aren't sure in what, gives you an advantage as you go work for a couple years. That way, you'll be able to seek out jobs that are at least tangentially related, and you'll be able to say on your applications that you've been planning to go to grad school all along, but were (wisely) waiting until the time was right.

No shame in that, no harm in that, and everyone in the end will be better off!