What is your MSW classwork like?

I'm sure it varies from program to program but I was just wondering what everyone's experiences have been with the classwork in MSW programs (outside of practicum-related work). Do classes tend to be lecture or discussion based? Are you generally graded on papers or exams? How do MSW classes differ from undergrad classes? How much time do you spend on assignments outside of class? I know these are kind of mundane questions but I appreciate any insight you can give!

I would say that discussions were highly encouraged and expected. The only class where I feel it was a lecture were my clinical classes. Only one of my professors gave us exams and he did so for us to be prepared for the types of questions on the licensing exam. I feel the level of student was obviously much higher in graduate school compared to under graduate, so there is no real coasting from week to week to cover one concept. If you dont read or have questions about material, instructors will assume that you understand it and move on. I dont have a solid answer for you on how long assignments take. There is a lot of reading assigned weekly so the best thing you can learn is what to read each week, it will be impossible to do it all. Hope this helps.

I agree with mildmannered in that the level of expectations as far as having studied the material and being engaged in discussions is much higher than undergrad. Based on my personal experience, the teaching style and work assigned is all depending on the professor. However, I've only had one so far that lectured...all the rest had a lot of class discussion, small group work, and some lecture. I had papers for all classes (sometimes several in one class), and if I had an exam there were always essay questions or short answer questions on them.

As far as how much time I spent on assignments, I would say that it was a lot. I can't give a specific number but there were many weekends I didn't leave my house because I was reading and writing papers. I think once you get to know a professor's expectations you'll know which classes you may not have to do all the readings for versus the ones you absolutely do have to read for. Just to be safe, when I first started the program I did pretty much all readings during the first semester because I didn't know how the exams would be, etc. and it worked out for me.