Does the school name of the MPA program matter?

I was considering applying for MPA programs soon, but am wondering if the school name matters?

From what I have heard, if you are planning to work for the government it won't matter.

Is this true? 

Thank you

Generally, the name, in itself, does not matter. What can matter is the alumni and network that can carry with that name. The name itself may not carry much weight in many application processes but a strong network associated with individuals who meet you by virtue of familiarity with the institution you graduated from can help.

Personally, I think the name of the school does not matter too much in the real world when searching for jobs outside of academia. I would strongly discourage anyone from choosing a program because of the name instead of seeing if it is a good fit for their career interests. Employers and government agencies might give you more of a quick glance if you went to an "elite" institution but having marketable skills and a sizable network will be your greatest benefit. 

I find that most of the elite institutions have a strong alumni network. I have experienced in my UG the difference in the attitude and strength of the alumni network. Definitely the ones with a repute live up to their names. 

Would like to hear from some alumni's regarding this as most of us would be weighing in this as a factor while applying.

I believe the name does matter. There is a reason why people work hard to get into top programs. The name itself is closely related to network, program, quality of education, opportunities, and even getting jobs in both public and private sector. If the name did not matter why would people compete to get into a top school in the first place?

What are your career goals? If you want to join the Foreign Service, look into the Pickering fellowship winners... many are going to Georgetown. Seems to indicate that it does matter a tad.

I want to second what everyone here has said already. I think what it really comes down to is what your career goals are and where you want to live. For example, I want to stay in the west coast and work for a local agency or city government. I think the local school in the area of where I want to live (Portland, Seattle, or the Bay Area) has a better alumni network than say an East Coast School (American, Georgetown, Columbia). Conversely, if I wanted to work in DC or for the Federal Government than I would be applying to the latter.

I won't lie and say that prestige won't come into play when applying to jobs. For example, when I was reviewing applicants to our agency (a mid-sized nonprofit), my eyes pop whenever I saw UCLA as opposed to CSULA or a less prestigious school. Despite this though, applicants who had relevant work experience and great people skills got the job in the end. School prestige was a secondary factor. I can't speak to how other agencies operated but what was important to me was that the applicant had the aptitude for the job and felt like they would be a good fit with the team.

What are your career goals? If you want to join the Foreign Service, look into the Pickering fellowship winners... many are going to Georgetown. Seems to indicate that it does matter a tad.

I'm honestly still attempting to figure this out. Currently, I work for the local government in my area full-time, but I know that I definitely will need a masters degree down the line. 

I also miss the university academic atmosphere.