Boston University: Graduate Division of Religion and School of Theology

Rabbit Run

Hello,

I am interested in applying to BU for doctoral work and am hoping that someone can parse out the differences between the PhD offered by the Graduate Division of Religion and that offered by the School of Theology. I am interested in theology and ethics so I anticipate applying to either the constructive theology track in the school of theology or the philosophy of religion track in the GDR.

The BU STH offered a Th.D. until a few years ago, it has been replaced with (or just renamed?) a Ph.D. program. The GRS doctoral degree is a classic academic degree preparing one to teach at a college or university. The STH doctoral degree takes a more theological approach and is more typically a credential for teaching at a seminary or other institution with.a religious mission. The STH and GRS share faculty so you can work with the same profs in either program.

• 2 weeks later...

You should probably ask this of your current advisor and profs. My suspicion is that one application would be stronger because it shows focused interest and purpose, but I do not know this as fact. Good luck with the process.