Starting your Statement of Purpose with a dialogue

Hi, Everyone, 

I am going to be applying to do my MA in Hispanic Linguistics and I am trying to come up with a good introduction for my SOP. First, I want to give you guys a little background into my research interests so that you understand why I thought of using a brief dialogue in stead of a formal introduction. I am interested in studying the intersection of Spanish Sociolinguistics (variations in Spanish grammar) and its intersection with Spanish Second Language Acquisition (in study abroad situations). In other words, how variations in Spanish grammar affect Second language learners of Spanish. Therefore, I wanted to introduce this idea using a dialogue that I heard between two natives while studying abroad in Spain. The dialogue would include variations in Spanish grammar which would be a good segue into how I became interested in the two fields and what I want to research in graduate school. 

If anyone has any opinions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick 

I think as long as your dialogue isn't too overly long (i.e., take away from it being just a brief introduction), and you continue with a clear extension of what you want to do (sort of like what you're doing in your post), then fire away! Just don't let it take away from what you're really trying to sell and persuade, that you are a competent researcher and fascinated by this area of study and its implications. 

If you can make it as part of the actual body of the SOP, then you should be good to go! :)

Post samples of it to this forum thread when the time comes if you need more feedback!

Good luck!