Hamburg, Germany

Magichours

Hi there! Thank you for stopping by this page with your insight on Hamburg. I was recently accepted to the University of Hamburg and plan on attending in the fall. I was wondering if I can get some perspective from anyone about their experience in Hamburg and what to do once you're there in terms of housing and activities. 

I also hope this serves some purpose to others who may have interest in going or are going to study in Hamburg. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hamburg is a pretty amazing city! Big enough to be diverse but small enough to get around easily.

For housing I'd recommend looking for a flat share. The university might have a website to help you with that. Alternatively, there are usually ads on campus - but that would require you to Gethere already. Generally, it's not as easy to find your own place as it may be in other countries because things often move a bit slower. Unless you're able to take over somebody else's lease that is! But there are usually plenty of people looking for flatmates especially in autumn. And you could also check out student housing, just for the first semester.

As for doing stuff - anything is possible! You'll have lots of student organisations organising get togethers and events. Sports, music, cultural events - there will be plenty of interesting groups to choose from! And you'll probably meet people to go out with very soon. And the city has a lot going on so you definitely will never be bored!

When are you moving?

• 4 weeks later...

I've never lived in Hamburg but I've visited and speaking from a German perspective, many students and young adults looking for flatmates use WG-gesucht or similar local sites but WG-gesucht is the most widely used as far as I know: https://www.wg-gesucht.de/wohnungen-in-Hamburg.55.2.0.0.html

Looking for housing can be a hassle because when you look for flatmates, you usually do not correspond with the landlord directly but with potential roommates and they can sometimes be hesitant if they don't get to meet you in person. But then again, you can also be lucky if your request and background intrigues them. Good luck!

As for activities: Hamburg has a great public transport system and if you're matriculated at the University you get to use it for free so the entire city is basically open to you. Nightlife is great and edgy if you want it to be. You have the North Sea right in front of you so you can go to the beach and there's the harbor and they have great museums and such.

In terms of mentality: People in North Germany have a reputation for being reserved and somewhat rough by comparison but don't let that perturb you. They're actually really lovely.

I hope you have a great time there & enjoy the city and the university!

Hi there! Thank you for stopping by this page with your insight on Hamburg. I was recently accepted to the University of Hamburg and plan on attending in the fall. I was wondering if I can get some perspective from anyone about their experience in Hamburg and what to do once you're there in terms of housing and activities. 

I also hope this serves some purpose to others who may have interest in going or are going to study in Hamburg. 

Spent this summer there on an exchange program. Not sure about housing but try to get something that is near a U-Bahn or S-Bahn station (NOT a 'Regional' train station, as these trains are less frequent). We were staying in student accomodation Rahlstedt, which was not only far away from Hamburg, but almost a mile from the train station itself.

I also would not recommend living in St Pauli / Reeperbahn, unless you like crazy/drunk people on your doorstep 24/7. Altona seems like a cool spot, actually. Harburg is a shit hole, avoid it. 

My favourite place to party/hang out in Hamburg was Sternschanze (Katze bar is a favourite). It has a Berlin-y vibe about it, while not being as trashy as St Pauli / Reeperbahn. Check out Hatari in Altona for great burgers. There are always open-air festivals and stuff that happen  - you need to get acquainted with the right crowd when you get to uni. 

Hamburg is a perfect balance of the civility/wealth of southern Germany (areas around the Alster lake and the beautiful Blankese areas are like Stuttgart) while also offering the cool/hipster Berlin-y spots like Sternschanze. 

The area around Hauptbahnhof is surprisingly shitty. Avoid as much as possible. The Savoy theatre (close to Hauptbahnhof) shows English language movies quite often and for roughly 8 euros.

Hamburg is windy as fuck but a wonderful city.

Have fun!