Need help coming up with strong examples for Issue topic

mrpug

Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study in which jobs are plentiful.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

---

This was a topic that I encountered today during my studying. While I was able to finish the essay, I felt that my writing was really weak because there were no strong, concrete examples. What kinds of examples would you include for either stance? Also, what would your thought process be for coming up with such examples?

I appreciate all of your help!

Here are a few ideas: 

Pros:

- If the role of the university is to help build better societies, then universities should meet the demands of job market (by educating students to meet those demands)

- Students need to find work after they finish school, so they should look to the job market to guide their academic choices

Cons:

- If the role of the university is to meet the needs of students, then universities should help students in whatever fields of study they wish to pursue 

- Students should choose fields that interest them, otherwise they may be unhappy with their jobs

- Just because jobs in a certain field are plentiful, doesn't mean they are good jobs

- If everyone chooses fields of study in which jobs are plentiful, those jobs may not be so plentiful in the future

Cheers,

Brent - Greenlight Test Prep