Outsider wanting to enter into an MPP/MPA program

sp108

I am currently working in the private sector (big 4 accounting firm) and I want to attend grad school in 2016 in MPP/MPA.  My career goals are to work in either the private or public sector on finance and economic policy issues, emerging markets, etc.  I am fairly new to this field so any guidance would be really appreciated.

A few questions; 

1) Coming in to government affairs as an outsider, are there any specific kind of extracurricular activities I should focus on? Volunteering, etc? Or any classes I should take to prep me for the program? I really want out of my current job as a Big 4 auditor and I want to get my feet wet in the policy world.  Any internships, research positions that I can look into getting that might be fitting for me with my background?

2) I am worried about my age.  I am 25 (3 years of work experience total) currently.  I will be 26 when I apply in the fall and 27 if I start in fall of 2016.  Is this common?

Thank you

Edited by sp108

Speaking as a fellow 2016 applicant, I only feel comfortable answering your second question.

Your age is totally fine and actually falls within the range of most students attending MPP/MPA programs. For example, Duke Sanford claims its age range is 24-32, and Cornell CIPA's average age is 26.

I was in a position similar to yours coming off of 3 years working in derivatives at an investment bank. 

I was pretty short on extracurricular involvement that screamed "I want to go into policy", save for my undergraduate studies.  My biggest strength came from a strong personal statement that told a compelling narrative of why an MPP was the next step in my career.  I'd focus on working hard to make sure your application aligns the triumvirate of work experience, career interest and degree program.

• 2 months later...

Hello again sp108,

With your accounting background and your interest into going into public/private sector consulting, I would say that a very "low barrier to entry" way to boost your application (and that might also be enjoyable) is to make yourself available for some free consulting to nonprofits (say 10 hours per month or so). Of course stay within the bounds of not giving any financial and/or legal advice that you are not licensed to give, but I could see you being extraordinarily helpful to small nonprofits (i.e. 10 employees or fewer) with helping them set up their bookkeeping, understanding how to read and create an income statement and balance sheet, increasing the profitability of any income-generating activities they may be engaged in (e.g. say a nonprofit sells an annual calendar featuring photography of kids learning leadership in their urban farm but they aren't reaching their fundraising revenue goals). Doing this type of thing on a volunteer basis will give you some "hey I want to go into public service" (I know that's not quite what you want to do) points as well as give you some non Big 4 Accounting Firm stories to tell in your internship and full-time job interviews.

I'm an idea person so I could throw ideas at you all day. The point is that YES, there are internships and/or volunteer experiences you can be doing and they don't have to be structured programs. Structured programs are great, but they can be hard to get into if you have missed their recruiting cycle. When you create your own volunteer experience, you can make your own hours and decide how you want to use your skills, time, and talent to have an impact.

Best of luck!

Kaneisha