US citizen and resident applying to MA program in UK

shreeeema

Has anyone gone through the process of applying to a program in the UK? Beyond just the logistics that are applicable in any field, I'm asking specifically for anthro. Is the SOP worded/written any differently? Are their SOPs more specific or more general than those in the US (I understand this varies across schools and departments). 

Lastly, if I did an MA program in the UK, what would my chances be of continuing with a PHD in the US? Would I be better off continuing in the UK seeing as some US programs may just require me to get a second MA? 

Btw, I'm going for a MA in Migration Studies that are within Anthropology/Geography/Global Studies departments (as opposed to a focus on law or policy). à la Oxford, SOAS 

Thanks!

Hi Shreeeema! 

I finished a masters in Social Anthropology at Oxford last year, but had also been accepted to SOAS, UCL, LSE, and St. Andrew's. From my experience applying to UK masters programs isn't very different from applying to NA programs except that there isn't an expectation of a doctoral level research proposal, so in that sense it can more general (but still do show some focus). The UK anthropology masters is often used as a conversion course for students from different backgrounds who want to do a doctorate in anthropology, so there is the expectation of you being a novice but also showing drive. A word of caution however; funding is extremely hard to come by for UK masters, especially for internationals (and especially in anthropology). Make sure you explore every funding option early. 

It's fairly common for NA students to do a UK masters and then go back to the US or Canada for doctoral study. In fact I'm starting my PhD at Berkeley this Fall (and two others of my cohort started at Chicago and Stanford), so it's possible. You'll have to check the school but some American programs allow you to reduce the number of required credits if you already have a masters degree. Anthropology doctorates in the UK are very quick (3-4 years), so you better know what you want to do and be confident in you field research.

I've heard good things about the Oxford Migration studies masters (my supervisor at Oxford went through that program, as did a friend of mine this year and both said the academic cohort is a tight community). Good luck with your applications!