Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

3 minutes ago, silsab said:

Wow, good for you. And it gives me some hope for next year.

Concerning Austin, did it seem like all their offers are sent out now? Austin and JHU are my last two (rapidly dwindling) hopes... 

Don't lose hope! The email I received was a personalized one from my future advisor. I have no idea if other professors are sending out similar emails at this time. You might still have a chance!

Any of the other Brown admits hanging around this thread? I received the phone call Friday and I'm super excited! I also have an admit at Arizona State and a campus recruitment visit at Penn State so I have a decision to make, but I'm really leaning towards Brown. In the archaeology program at Brown but more bioarch in general.

Edited by Bones 'n Stones

5 hours ago, Bones 'n Stones said:

Any of the other Brown admits hanging around this thread? I received the phone call Friday and I'm super excited! I also have an admit at Arizona State and a campus recruitment visit at Penn State so I have a decision to make, but I'm really leaning towards Brown. In the archaeology program at Brown but more bioarch in general.

Congrats!!! ASU is an amazing school for bioarch...it's on my list for PhD granting institution. Getting my MA first. Actually most of those schools you applied to are on the list right now. Lol. That's going to be a tough choice to make really. Just think about the options because they both have things that the other school doesn't offer. Good luck!!!

14 hours ago, bdesh said:

Don't lose hope! The email I received was a personalized one from my future advisor. I have no idea if other professors are sending out similar emails at this time. You might still have a chance!

Thank you Bdesh. Although I think I need more than hope now. This morning I considered witchcraft which is somewhat scary since I live in a city filled to the brim with "witchdoctors" and jinns :) I'll hold it off a couple of days though. It's still just plan c. 

6 hours ago, dsrcha425 said:

Hello everyone! I'm a long-time lurker but the anxiety of waiting has beaten my procrastination of creating an account!

Any idea about Hopkins?

YES! Is there any news about Hopkins? I see one interview. Does that mean they've talked to everyone they find interesting? It is my number one choice in the whole wide world! 

Honestly, this entire process is excruciating. Is there no standard procedure (I don't care what Foucault said)?  

5 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

anyone heard more from CUNY other than the initial batch of interviews?

I have my CUNY interview this week— I was notified in the original batch sent out at the beginning of the month, so I think they're still working through that original list. Not sure if that helps you!

Huge congrats to everyone who's received good news so far! The silence is starting to get to me. Seconding the Q about Hopkins (I did see one interview but I've heard nothing) and also wanted to ask the folks who have heard from NYU if it seems their decisions have already been made? I'm cultural anth. Finally, I've seen nothing about UC Santa Cruz posted on this board - any word?

On 2/4/2016 at 4:50 PM, nobonesaboutit said:

hey everyone thought i'd join in since i am in phd purgatory as well!
i was accepted to an MA in bio at university college london but no funding and not my top choice, and rejected from a phd at ucsb :P
waiting not-so patiently for any word from nyu, boston u, university of tennessee, vanderbilt, unlv, and illinois state

absolutely zero word so far and every time i see one of them pop up on the list my little heart breaks lol

@nobonesaboutitGood luck on your applications! I got my M.A. at University of Tennessee. I am also applying to Vanderbilt and eagerly awaiting some response!!!!

First-time caller, long-time listener who is not sure that actually registering an account here was best (already spend too much time stressing over the results page as is!) but went ahead and did it anyway. Waiting to hear back from medical/psychological/cultural anth PhD programs at Harvard, NYU, UCLA, UCSD and U of Chicago (Comparative Human Development + Sociocultural). No luck so far but here's to hoping! 

I've been sort of second-guessing my decision not to apply to any "safety" schools, but I do have confidence in my resume. Bachelor's in Anthropology from a top twenty American university and a Master's in Medical Anthropology from a top five UK university. Graduated with distinction from grad school. 7 years of NGO experience at a youth organization in America and 1.5 years of teaching experience in Asia. Have carried out relevant fieldwork experience on mental health treatment modalities in Asia as part of my Master's dissertation (which also got awarded distinction). Pitched a project, piggybacking off my experience living/working/researching in Asia and working with younger populations in general, on psychotherapy in Asia in youth/young adult ethnographic contexts. Secured four letters of recommendation from professors who know me well. 164/153/4.5 GRE score. All programs seem to present a good fit with my research interests, and made contact with 1-3 potential advisors (at all but one program) who echoed that sentiment. Wondering if others who applied to those programs have similar profiles?  

CHD at U of Chicago is currently my top choice, so it stung a little to see that people had started getting interviews. Does anybody know if no interview = rejection from them? I asked my POI, who said that they were unable to disclose any information about my application but that I'd be hearing relatively soon. 

Anyway, hope everybody gets some good news! 

1 hour ago, DYOH87 said:

First-time caller, long-time listener who is not sure that actually registering an account here was best (already spend too much time stressing over the results page as is!) but went ahead and did it anyway. Waiting to hear back from medical/psychological/cultural anth PhD programs at Harvard, NYU, UCLA, UCSD and U of Chicago (Comparative Human Development + Sociocultural). No luck so far but here's to hoping! 

I've been sort of second-guessing my decision not to apply to any "safety" schools, but I do have confidence in my resume. Bachelor's in Anthropology from a top twenty American university and a Master's in Medical Anthropology from a top five UK university. Graduated with distinction from grad school. 7 years of NGO experience at a youth organization in America and 1.5 years of teaching experience in Asia. Have carried out relevant fieldwork experience on mental health treatment modalities in Asia as part of my Master's dissertation (which also got awarded distinction). Pitched a project, piggybacking off my experience living/working/researching in Asia and working with younger populations in general, on psychotherapy in Asia in youth/young adult ethnographic contexts. Secured four letters of recommendation from professors who know me well. 164/153/4.5 GRE score. All programs seem to present a good fit with my research interests, and made contact with 1-3 potential advisors (at all but one program) who echoed that sentiment. Wondering if others who applied to those programs have similar profiles?  

CHD at U of Chicago is currently my top choice, so it stung a little to see that people had started getting interviews. Does anybody know if no interview = rejection from them? I asked my POI, who said that they were unable to disclose any information about my application but that I'd be hearing relatively soon. 

Anyway, hope everybody gets some good news! 

I have to echo MAnthroAA in that no interview means a rejection. I emailed my POI in the CHD program today who confirmed that for me, no interview means no acceptance. He also told me that the program is accepting only five candidates this year (he said this number was "cut down"), and that many faculty members need students who can also work in their labs. I have heard that Chicago is broke. I also applied for psychological anthropology with CHD, for which there are few anthropology professors and accompanying labs.

As for sociocultural at Chicago, I retain a tiny glimmer of hope, but assume my fate likely to be the same as CHD due to the interview announcement the week prior. I also emailed my Sociocultural POI to confirm but have received so far no response. 

I have also heard that Chicago is a real crap shoot, and that a handful of spots in sociocultural are reserved for MAPSS alumni. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for CHD, and along with professors seeking students for their non-anthropological lab work, the chance of nagging perhaps the 1 spot for psychological anthropology in the CHD program is probably around 1% . Don't sweat it, DYOH87. 

47 minutes ago, MAnthroAA said:

Hi DYOH87,

First of all, your stats are so impressive! I'd like to echo one of my advisors who wrote me that "there is so much behind the scenes in these processes that one cannot predict who and why people are admitted." With that in mind, I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I get the impression that an applicant is unlikely to be accepted without an interview. The invite I received referred to the interview as the "next step" in the application process. I believe it's essentially a recruitment day during which all interviews will be conducted (on the 16th). Again, I'm sorry, but I hope this information at least helps to give you a little closure. Like you, I'm also waiting on Harvard, and while I suspect that the radio-silence indicates a rejection, I wish someone would just put me out of my misery! 

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the response. That's what I figured. Good luck with the interview! 

2 hours ago, busybee said:

I have to echo MAnthroAA in that no interview means a rejection. I emailed my POI in the CHD program today who confirmed that for me, no interview means no acceptance. He also told me that the program is accepting only five candidates this year (he said this number was "cut down"), and that many faculty members need students who can also work in their labs. I have heard that Chicago is broke. I also applied for psychological anthropology with CHD, for which there are few anthropology professors and accompanying labs.

As for sociocultural at Chicago, I retain a tiny glimmer of hope, but assume my fate likely to be the same as CHD due to the interview announcement the week prior. I also emailed my Sociocultural POI to confirm but have received so far no response. 

I have also heard that Chicago is a real crap shoot, and that a handful of spots in sociocultural are reserved for MAPSS alumni. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for CHD, and along with professors seeking students for their non-anthropological lab work, the chance of nagging perhaps the 1 spot for psychological anthropology in the CHD program is probably around 1% . Don't sweat it, DYOH87. 

Didn't catch your post earlier. That's all very interesting, thanks for the information. Its odd how one POI is sworn to secrecy whereas another is more candid. 

I'm not holding my breath for sociocultural, as I never heard back from any potential advisors. 

Pretty much just keeping my fingers crossed for UCSD at this point! 

Hello, all! I just got an interview from from my POI at Emory for this Friday! So how does this interview thing work? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me? I'm so excited! I'm good enough to be interviewed!

34 minutes ago, intellect954 said:

Hello, all! I just got an interview from from my POI at Emory for this Friday! So how does this interview thing work? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me? I'm so excited! I'm good enough to be interviewed!

Congrats!! My Emory interviews were intense -- everywhere else, interviews were essentially a friendly intellectual chat, but at Emory, they asked me whether I'd read certain (seemingly obscure) works, why I hadn't if I hadn't, really pushed me on certain aspects of my SOP, things like that. That could just have been the people I spoke with, though. So my advice for Emory would be along the lines of a best defense is a good offense (cliched, I know) -- maybe brush up on your SOP and lit the night before. And don't take it personally -- I thought I'd tanked it there, but happily, I hadn't!

Just now, catcatcatdog said:

Congrats!! My Emory interviews were intense -- everywhere else, interviews were essentially a friendly intellectual chat, but at Emory, they asked me whether I'd read certain (seemingly obscure) works, why I hadn't if I hadn't, really pushed me on certain aspects of my SOP, things like that. That could just have been the people I spoke with, though. So my advice for Emory would be along the lines of a best defense is a good offense (cliched, I know) -- maybe brush up on your SOP and lit the night before. And don't take it personally -- I thought I'd tanked it there, but happily, I hadn't!

Did you get in? And who interviewed you? My POI is interviewing me, her name is Jenny Chio.

3 minutes ago, intellect954 said:

Did you get in? And who interviewed you? My POI is interviewing me, her name is Jenny Chio.

I did (pretty much right after I interviewed)! With a Woodruff Fellowship, too. I had interviews with multiple faculty members whom I'd rather not name publicly, but Jenny Chio was not one of them.

Edited by catcatcatdog
Spelling

5 minutes ago, catcatcatdog said:

I did (pretty much right after I interviewed)! With a Woodruff Fellowship, too. I had interviews with multiple faculty members whom I'd rather not name publicly, but Jenny Chio was not one of them.

Okay, great! So do you now attend Emory? It's interesting because I thought Emory was the least close fit for me and my interests, haha.

5 minutes ago, intellect954 said:

Okay, great! So do you now attend Emory? It's interesting because I thought Emory was the least close fit for me and my interests, haha.

Nope! Princeton. I think we've messaged about this.

Has anyone heard anything from Yale? Just wondering if they're delayed in releasing their shortlist and contacting people for interviews, or if perhaps they aren't interviewing at all this year...?