Social Worker State Licensure

Hey, 

Are there any states where students can apply for licensure at the master's level a couple of months before graduation? I was trying to see if there was any entry-level license I can accrue, with a Master's and no post-masters clinical supervision hours. 

Thank you, 

Rayven 

I have my Bachelor's license so it is a similar process. You can apply before graduation and even take the test a couple months before graduation and have a "student/temporary" license until you graduate mainly used during job searches. Every level of social work licensure requires supervision, there is no way around that. Also, each state has its own licensing board so each state has different requirements.

I think most states do not require post-MSW supervision to get the Master's level license. The supervision you received at your field placement during the MSW program is required and passing the ASWB exam. For instance, in Tennessee after I graduate with my MSSW all I have to do is pass the ASWB exam and submit the required paperwork with my state to be a LMSW (Licensed Master Social Worker). The only supervision I was required to have was that I received during my field placements while in the program. Now, to become an LCSW it is required I have post-MSW supervision and pass another exam.

You can find each state's requirements here: http://socialworklicensemap.com/