Teach Abroad or Take Grad Courses to Improve Application?

My plan is to apply Fall 2015 for MPP and IR programs. Right now I am trying to decide with course of action would make me a better applicant. My two options are 1) Teach English abroad in Spain for the 2015-2016 school year or 2) take continuing studies courses at IU (where I attended undergrad) in microecon and statistics to beef up my quantitative skills (My GRE quant was 157). In your opinion, which option would strengthen my application the most? Teaching in Spain would give me international experience and advanced foreign language skills, while taking the grad courses would show I'm serious about improving my quant skills and hopefully give me more recent letters of rec. My career goals as of now are vague but I am most interested in foreign service or government consulting, and I am considering MPP and IR schools including Harris, Elliott, SAIS, SIPA, Heinz, Sanford, and Mccourt. Which would be the smartest decision application-wise?

I'd do option 1 while taking the courses you mentioned online (MPP and IR programs should look upon this favorably as long as the courses are through an accredited institution) in your free time. Option 1 will give you real-world work experience, language skills, and, presumably, some income--and IMHO it will help you think more clearly about your career goals than another year at school will. The best part is that you don't have to forgo the benefits of option 2 to enjoy those of option 2; nowadays, you can study microecon and stats anywhere.

Note: I don't know much about MPP programs and am looking at the questions mostly from an IR perspective.

Edited by outofspace

Totally agree with what outofspace said. Go abroad, get some experience, have the time of your life, and do some online courses if you can while you're at it.

Ditto outofspace. Neither option on its own is particularly compelling, so do both. If the teaching in Spain is on a Fulbright that would change things a fair bit as it would get you a 'name brand' on your resume (as dubious as it may be in terms of the actual work experience).