Should I get international experience or take extra classes?

sp108

Following up on another thread I saw - I want to apply for MPP/MPA programs to get into private-sector consulting with a finance/econ policy focus.  I have 3 years of private sector work experience by the time I apply.  

When it comes to policy work or work done internationally....I do not have any of that.  Should I actually look to get international experience such as teaching, volunteering, etc?  I know it wouldn't hurt but since I do have real world experience, would it be important?

Should I take extra classes to boost my quantitative skills?  I double majored in Finance/Accounting and took a Business Calc. course, two stats courses, and a few econ courses. I took an intermediate micro-econ course and made a C+ which worries me..  Should I look to take additional econ/math courses?

I am taking the GREs in August and I also work full time.

Edited by sp108

I know that you said you intend to go for finance/econ policy focus, but do you plan to get into the international arena with that focus in terms of your career aims? International experience does help, yet I was someone who got accepted into program without it. I'm specializing in the Middle East, and have not even gone to the region (at the moment).

In my opinion, if I could pick the 4 most important factors for admissions it would be these (no specific order):

1. GPA/Coursework

2. Statement of Purpose

3. GREs

4. Work experience in your field (relevant internships included)

Things such as military experience, language skills, volunteering, and going abroad are just 'nice bonuses' if you ask me. Anyway,it  would most likely be beneficial for you to take those extra classes to boost up the C+ from your former economic course..especially since that course serves as a gateway to one of your area of focus. Some programs even require students to take econ courses and receive a certain grade before being admitted. I hear that top-class programs such as Johns Hopkins are more oriented towards quantitative skills, so those classes might help in that case.

Edited by Guest

Regardless, if you think that international experience will boost your app experience OP then go for it. It can't hurt. Some applications will ask such a question. I recall 3 out of 7 of my applications having such a question. Programs such as Tufts-Fletcher favor years worth of international experience. While some programs are more laidback-possibly because they offer you opportunities to go abroad while in their program.Looking back, I guess that I would have liked to gain international experience.But I didnt have

that luxury and will be be gaining such a thing once I start my studies.

Also ensure that there are no grade restrictions for each program that you wish to apply for..in terms of the economic course. My program is slightly policy oriented as well.. and had requirements of needing at least a B in our economic courses in order to fulfill the economics requirement for admissions. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

Edited by Guest

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  So I will take that Intermediate Microecon class again via online.  That would make sense to do this.  If you have any online programs you prefer, let me know!

• 2 months later...

I'm late to the party but I wanted to weigh in anyway since we're now smack dab in the middle of the application season.

I WOULD recommend sp108 pursue some international work and/or volunteer experience before applying.

As OneLove21 pointed out, people do get admitted without it, but I think international volunteering and/or work experience (I'd say anything over six weeks is meaty enough to "count") would improve your candidacy for school and make you more appealing when it comes time for recruiting. Private sector consulting recruiting (as you probably know already working in the private sector) is very intense and competitive. You want to do anything you can (within reason) to stand out and be memorable to recruiters.

Unless your GPA is below 3.6, I would actually prioritize the international work experience over the supplementary coursework. Of course if the international volunteering and/or work is going to significantly disrupt your work life, save it for a time when it won't—such as right before matriculation.

Bonus piece of unsolicited advice: I highly recommend the book Case in Point to prepare for consulting case interviews.

Best of luck!

Kaneisha