Undergrad study abroad impact on Grad Admissions

I just finished my second year at a relatively mediocre undergrad that has a top statistics program, majoring in Statistics and Economics:

GPA: 4.0

CoursesLinear algebra, bayesian/basic stats, regression, and economics ... (ranges of A to A+) 

Experience:

--- Intern at a large, recognizable software company for ~1.5 years doing technical tasks as well as some stat research

--- Beginning research with a Stats professor in my university involving some machine learning, coding, and of course, stats

--- Experience with R, SAS, Python

I started undergrad with some credits, so that allowed me to basically finish my stats degree by now, with just a few remaining miscellaneous courses. I have to take several GEPs and finish my other degree. 

I'm taking a very light load this Fall (think 100 level GEPs), which should (?) be counterbalanced with my research and my internship. I want to study abroad in the Spring, since that will let me finish out my GEPs in a more exciting manner. I imagine I will be able to do research during my time abroad. The big major con: the program I'm really interested in doesn't finish until August, which eliminates my last undergrad summer. 

When I return for my senior year I will hit the ground running and finish out my degrees, and take some higher level courses like Real Analysis, Capstone research... I plan to apply to several Stats PhD and Masters programs. 

My question is this: how do graduate schools view undergraduate study abroad? 

Is it worth it for the experience to trade off another summer interning/researching? Should I instead be taking harder courses for my junior year? Will I be at all competitive to top schools like UW, Stanford, and the like? 

Thanks!

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited for privacy at OP's request

Don't miss out on going abroad to improve your already-fantastic profile.  Do well in real analysis and on your GRE, and you can enjoy going abroad guilt-free.  If you had poor grades or another large hole in your profile, I might say differently, but I definitely don't think this would hurt you, especially considering you will still already have some stats research experience.

One potential drawback of being way during the summer of your junior year is that those months are usually prime time for getting involved with a research experience that will result in a strong letter of recommendation. To crack the top programs, you need more than just stellar grades (particularly if you're at a "mediocre" undergrad), and glowing letters can help you a lot. Perhaps you've already got some great ones lined up from your internship etc., in which case, enjoy the travel!

Sounds like you're at NC State. You should talk to the faculty there who have helped undergraduates apply for top PhD programs to see what they think. I'd generally emulate whatever has been successful for previous students, which might include research with faculty over the summer.

I wanted to plug the Budapest Semesters in Mathematics program as an alternative study abroad that can be actively helpful in math/stats graduate admissions and need not conflict with your last undergrad summer. They offer a lot of math classes (most recent semester syllabi), it's as easy or hard as you make it with your course selections, and the BSM people are used to dealing with American PhD applications for their alumni. I did BSM at the same time as a couple of NCSU kids, many students in the statistics and math PhD programs at my university have gone, and I would enthusiastically recommend the experience.