Concern surrounding GPA for fall 2016

Hi everyone!

So my GPA in my first year of college was not stellar shall we say; however, I have managed to raise it and I am currently an "A" student. At this point, I have a 3.4 despite my recent successes. I believe the rest of my application for a PhD in linguistics is strong, but does my lower GPA completely ruin my chances of getting into programs like UCLA, Harvard, or Cornell? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you :)

Obviously it won't help, but linguistics is a small enough field that (as far as I know) all applications are given at least some consideration, and there are no strict cutoffs like in fields that get hundreds of applications for a dozen spots (e.g. in Psychology, from what I know). So as long as there is a clear upward trend and your grades in linguistics are good, I think you should be ok if the rest of your application is strong. If you are concerned, you might consider either having a short explanation in your SOP or some supplemental document or alternatively having one of your recommenders mention your grades in their LOR. I am not sure it's needed in this case, but it's something to consider.

Hi guys! actually this is also my concern too. My GPA is like going up every year but it started from a quite low point (from 3.0 to 3.7), so I guess my GPA is not likely be of any help. But if I can get a relatively high GRE score, does it make up what I lost in my GPA? thanks!

Hi guys! actually this is also my concern too. My GPA is like going up every year but it started from a quite low point (from 3.0 to 3.7), so I guess my GPA is not likely be of any help. But if I can get a relatively high GRE score, does it make up what I lost in my GPA? thanks!

The fact that you have an upward trend in your GPA is great, and (not knowing your overall GPA) the numbers you give don't actually seem that bad. Your research experience, SOP, and LORs are really what will make or break you, not your GPA or GRE.

From my experience and those of some others I know, however, high GRE scores can help you get a better funding offer and/or make you more competitive for university-wide fellowships. Just something to keep in mind.

My undergrad GPA was around 3.3-3.4, depending on whether you're looking at my cumulative GPA or major GPA, and I had two majors (not in linguistics). My GRE scores were so-so.

My linguistics MA GPA was 3.98, so that probably helped a lot in terms of grades. I got into good programs and also got interviews and/or were waitlisted at a few others.

So I would say an initial GPA of around 3.4 is not low enough to hurt you if the rest of your application is strong.

The fact that you have an upward trend in your GPA is great, and (not knowing your overall GPA) the numbers you give don't actually seem that bad. Your research experience, SOP, and LORs are really what will make or break you, not your GPA or GRE.

From my experience and those of some others I know, however, high GRE scores can help you get a better funding offer and/or make you more competitive for university-wide fellowships. Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you vlf! :)