Request to Rate My AWA: Argument

sparrosd

Hello! Please evaluate my "Analyze an Argument" essay. Thank you in advance!  :) 

The council of Maple County, concerned about the county's becoming overdeveloped, is debating a proposed measure that would prevent the development of existing farmland in the county. But the council is also concerned that such a restriction, by limiting the supply of new housing, could lead to significant increases in the price of housing in the county. Proponents of the measure note that Chestnut County established a similar measure ten years ago, and its housing prices have increased only modestly since. However, opponents of the measure note that Pine County adopted restrictions on the development of new residential housing fifteen years ago, and its housing prices have since more than doubled. The council currently predicts that the proposed measure, if passed, will result in a significant increase in housing prices in Maple County.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

Response: 

According to the council of Maple County, if the proposed measure is implemented then there will be a significant increase in housing prices in Maple County. They hark back to what was said by the opponents of the measure— that the restrictions 15 years ago caused an significant increase (more than double) in housing prices since. In order for this to be correct, we would have to know whether or not the rise in the housing prices was a direct result from the implementation of the measure. 

It is important because there are social and economic factors that affect the housing market of any given area. For example, if the cost of construction and labor increased in regards to building houses, the housing price could reflect that increase. So, we would need to look and see if the cost of building a house has increased since then. Other economic factors could include the salary of the buyers 15 years ago compared to today. If the economy is strong, then the real estate market will be a reflection of that since sellers know that buyers will be able to afford a home at a higher price. 

Location and buyer preference is also important in any real estate transaction, regardless of the quantity of homes available. For example, a buyer with children would be willing to pay more for a home neighboring a park and in a good school district, than one without. So, if Maple County built more amenities (such as malls, pools, dog parks, etc.), then the value of the homes in those neighborhoods could, and probably will, be higher than those in other neighborhoods— which could be a reflection upon price. 

Because of these reasons, the conclusion (or prediction) of the council is ill-founded. They need evaluate social and economical factors from 10 or 15 years ago and see if those factors mainly caused an increase in housing costs. If so, then the implementation of the proposed measure may not result in a significant increase in housing prices.

Edited by sparrosd

I think you did a good job of picking out the questions that need to be answered in order to decide whether the housing price increase is reasonable/valid. The suggestions I would have are:

1. Make it clearer that it was in Pine County, not Maple County, that the housing price increased happened.

2. Make a mention of Chestnut County's result (10 years ago, but no drastic housing price increase). 

3. You can strengthen your analysis by calling into question the difference in location as well as the difference in time.

4. Another question you can raise is how did the prices in Pine County rise? For example, what if Pine County doubled in price 12 years ago (before Chestnut County enacted these measures)?

5. I think your paragraphs can be clearer if you rearranged them to state the question that needs to be answered first, and then provide your reasons why this question is important. Right now, you give reasons and build up to a question, but since the goal of this essay is to communicate the questions to be answered, I think these paragraphs should begin with these questions. 

Note: I'm not an expert at this, just some thoughts!

TakeruK,

Thank you for your comments!  :) I was my first time attempting an argument analysis prompt. I will definitely work on the arrangement of my paragraphs as your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I am very grateful! 

I think you did a good job of picking out the questions that need to be answered in order to decide whether the housing price increase is reasonable/valid. The suggestions I would have are:

1. Make it clearer that it was in Pine County, not Maple County, that the housing price increased happened.

2. Make a mention of Chestnut County's result (10 years ago, but no drastic housing price increase). 

3. You can strengthen your analysis by calling into question the difference in location as well as the difference in time.

4. Another question you can raise is how did the prices in Pine County rise? For example, what if Pine County doubled in price 12 years ago (before Chestnut County enacted these measures)?

5. I think your paragraphs can be clearer if you rearranged them to state the question that needs to be answered first, and then provide your reasons why this question is important. Right now, you give reasons and build up to a question, but since the goal of this essay is to communicate the questions to be answered, I think these paragraphs should begin with these questions. 

Note: I'm not an expert at this, just some thoughts!