Overwhelmed

Monisha

Hello!

I am Monisha and i'm pretty new here. I'm from India and i just started to vaguely plan out how i am going to apply and all the things i need to do in order to get through and join the fall 2016 batch for a doctoral degree in clinical psychology in the US. i have just started listing colleges and looking up requirements i need to get in line. I am yet to take the GRE and i plan on taking it late september or november.

i was just going through some threads and i was kind of intimidated at how competitive clinical psychology programs sound and a couple of questions i had stood out so i'll leave them here and seeing how helpful this community looks i hope i get some answers! :D 

1. Am i too late in starting my preparations? would i have time to get everything in order before december?! (which is when most application deadlines are!)

2. How bleak is the situation really to get into a well known college in the US? :S

2. I have already finished a Masters course in general psychology with specialization in clinical psychology from an Indian college. Would i be better if i applied for another masters program in the US or directly apply for a doctoral program? 

3. My research interests are definitely between gender issues and criminal behavior studies (i am a little torn between the two). I have done 2 unpublished research works as part of my Masters in these topics. Are there members of the faculty in well known college interested in these areas as well? I see a lot of them mostly into cognitive behavioural feild, and child and adolescent studies. If there are could you guys please give me some names i can look up and have some kind of idea if i would fit in!

Im really sorry for so many questions! I really am lost. i saw one of my friends go through this process all of last year and it looked pretty stressful and overwhelming! She referred this forum to me and said it made it all SO much more better! :D

Hi Monisha,

I too am applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs for fall 2016 admission, so I can answer a few of your questions based on the research I've done/things I've read/heard. As for some of your other questions, you'd be much better off getting an answer from someone who has completed the process already and is a little more knowledgeable! I can imagine how scary it must be applying as an international applicant - kudos to you for your ambition!!

1. You are not too late, as long as you have been racking up experiences/things to put on your CV throughout your previous years of education. I myself have just started forming my list of schools I am thinking of applying to at the beginning of this summer. It seems that most applicants get the ball rolling the summer prior to applying, but it's never too early to start! I've even been jotting down ideas for my personal statement. I've also started thinking about who I'll be asking for letters of recommendation, researching different programs really in depth, and studying for the GRE. Which brings me to something you mentioned - my only advice for you with the GRE would be to take it earlier if you can. Though you get your scores (verbal and quant) the day you take the exam, your writing scores will not be ready for a few weeks, and don't forget that it can take a few weeks to send scores to your schools. As you said, many deadlines are December 1, so taking the GRE earlier is best (if that's manageable for you). This will also allow you to have time to retake the test if you are not satisfied with your first scores.

2. With solid research experience, good letters of recommendation and a good GPA/GRE scores, you have a shot. To my understanding, most programs have an acceptance rate somewhere between 2% - 15%. The schools with the very low acceptance rates are the very top programs, and also programs which receive a crazy amount of applicants. The highest acceptance rate I've seen for a clinical program is 15%. So, on average, you're looking at about an 8% acceptance rate for this type of program.

3. I can't answer this for you, but I would definitely apply to some PhD programs. You never know unless you try!

4. Throughout my search for schools, I've seen quite a few programs with research in gender issues, and a few dealing with criminal behavior. I'm blanking on the specific programs, but I've seen sort of a trend that NYC programs have quite a few faculty doing gender issue studies. Some programs in Philadelphia and Baltimore had some criminal behavior research as well. I'm from the east coast, so I'm not sure where exactly you're looking to apply.

Good luck on your journey!! Take a deep breath and have some faith!! Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions or concerns, I hope this helped!

Edited by kmeredithc

Hi! I'm an American applicant so I can't offer any advice specific to international applicants, but I applied to a few programs last year and I'll be applying again this cycle.

1. You're definitely not too late. I would check GRE timelines and remember that it will take time to get your official scores back. You won't be able submit them to schools until that happens and it might make filling out applications that ask for that information unofficially a little tricky. Definitely work on listing colleges and keeping track of the requirements. That kind of research takes a lot of time. And get started on your SOP. I waited until September to really work on mine last year and then I completely rewrote it right before I started submitting applications in October because I realized I didn't like it. And then after I finished all my doctoral applications and started in on the masters, I rewrote about half of it again for the same reason.

2. It's definitely not easy. Schools can get hundreds of applicants and only accept a small percentage. But some universities are harder to get into than others. Top research universities are next to impossible.

3. I'm not sure, but I think it would be best to directly apply to a doctoral program. I think a second masters would look a bit weird, especially considering a number of doctoral programs offer a masters on the way to the doctorate.

4. Sorry, I don't know of any specific faculty or universities but I know I've seen a fair amount of interest in those areas. Perhaps look for universities that offer forensic psychology programs for criminal behavior?

In reference to your first question, I would advise you to check into specific programs to determine whether they offer "rolling admissions". If so, then you must get your application in as soon as possible in order to qualify for the first round of interviews and maximize your chance of admission. I am not familiar with psychology specifically, so rolling admissions may not apply to your field.

@kmeredithc Thank you so much for all the information. its really comforting to know that we're along the same plane in terms of getting started! i'll definitely look into taking the GREs a little earlier. i just though i would require some time to prepare. But like you and @rosetyler mentioned it might be safer to do it earlier and retake it if needed. Thank you for giving me some areas to narrow down and look at. that really helps considering im not from there!  I still have a lot of work to do! if i get stuck along the way i would definitely take that offer and message you :D maybe i can be of some assistance to you as well along the way! 

@rosetaylor Thanks! I am definitely going lower my expectations so i dont get too disappointed! haha and i should start my SOPs too considering it requires so much editing. You're right about the doctoral programs. The courses i looked at for the doctoral program for the first 2-3 years do offer a syllabus very similar to the masters ive done here so i think i am just going to be applying to those. Thanks again for all the help :D

@altremix I will look into 'rolling admissions'. i havent heard of it so need to do some research on that. I still have to wait to take my GRE and english proficiency exams so its going to take some time to apply! Thank you anyway :D

Good luck! Rolling admissions is when schools review applications and offer interviews as they come in. Clinical programs don't operate that way. Universities take applications up to the deadline and then they review them all at once. Interviews are then offered at certain times--some schools have a set weekend posted in advance.

@rosetyler Oh thanks for that! yea i figured cos most of them have mentioned that interviews only happen in a particular month! 

Hi Monisha,

I was an international applicant too. I ended up applying to masters program first. I too had a masters degree from India. I am currently in a funded masters program and also have an assistantship that supports me. I think, being in a masters program worked out for me because trust me, Psychology in India and Psychology in US is expotentially different. Research, writing, exams, studying, lectures - everything is so completely different. (Although I dont know about Chennai.)

I am glad I have the two years time (one more year to go) to figure everything out and get comfortable. Make sure that your future doctoral mentors would feel confident enough to invest in you. Coming from India, our transcripts, our research experience are way too different than the American students. My mentor had a lot of trouble figuring out my transcripts. Make sure you open one of the transcripts to check that everything looks good. Believe me, my first batch of transcripts had errors which needed correcting. It took me another couple of days, but I am glad I didn't send wrong trasncripts to school.

Feel free to ping me if you need any help.

Hi,

First off, for Fall 2016, you are still good to go. I would suggest getting yourself organized soon though. Application deadlines are December 1st at the earliest. Figure out who you would like to write your letters and inquire about how effective and strong a recommendation they can give you. I like to contact them in September (plenty of months warning with room for error). Take practice tests and get your GREs over with. If you need a subject GRE, that will be trickier. They only offer those twice a year, and the deadline passed. Figure out best 'fit programs.' And all the rest of the application details. You have months to go, but time is difficult to come by during the semester itself.

As for the programs, consider if your interests work in other areas as well. I'm not saying that you should not go for clinical, rather, expand your options to include other fields. There's forensic, law, social policy, etc. If you limit yourself to clinical or counseling, your up against all heavy competition. I'm not saying you cannot do it, but if you can have additional options, you may be feel better going into it. 

Your background and masters should not hurt you. Just clearly portray your goals and expectations in the SOP. 

Hi Monisha,

I was an international applicant too. I ended up applying to masters program first. I too had a masters degree from India. I am currently in a funded masters program and also have an assistantship that supports me. I think, being in a masters program worked out for me because trust me, Psychology in India and Psychology in US is expotentially different. Research, writing, exams, studying, lectures - everything is so completely different. (Although I dont know about Chennai.)

I am glad I have the two years time (one more year to go) to figure everything out and get comfortable. Make sure that your future doctoral mentors would feel confident enough to invest in you. Coming from India, our transcripts, our research experience are way too different than the American students. My mentor had a lot of trouble figuring out my transcripts. Make sure you open one of the transcripts to check that everything looks good. Believe me, my first batch of transcripts had errors which needed correcting. It took me another couple of days, but I am glad I didn't send wrong trasncripts to school.

Feel free to ping me if you need any help.

@PsychChick I was worried about the same thing. That's why i was sort of confused if i should take a masters again. But when i looked into the doctoral programs i saw that it has the first two years very similar to most masters programs here including the one i completed. So i'm not too sure now. Maybe i should apply for both. By funded you mean you're on a scholarship? That's great! :D i still have to get my last semester transcripts so im waiting for that. i will definitely be more wary before i send them in now. Thank you so much for all the help. I will take you up on that offer and ping you when im stuck somewhere! Good luck on your last year! :D

Hi,

First off, for Fall 2016, you are still good to go. I would suggest getting yourself organized soon though. Application deadlines are December 1st at the earliest. Figure out who you would like to write your letters and inquire about how effective and strong a recommendation they can give you. I like to contact them in September (plenty of months warning with room for error). Take practice tests and get your GREs over with. If you need a subject GRE, that will be trickier. They only offer those twice a year, and the deadline passed. Figure out best 'fit programs.' And all the rest of the application details. You have months to go, but time is difficult to come by during the semester itself.

As for the programs, consider if your interests work in other areas as well. I'm not saying that you should not go for clinical, rather, expand your options to include other fields. There's forensic, law, social policy, etc. If you limit yourself to clinical or counseling, your up against all heavy competition. I'm not saying you cannot do it, but if you can have additional options, you may be feel better going into it. 

Your background and masters should not hurt you. Just clearly portray your goals and expectations in the SOP. 

@psychkita time is definitely a factor. Since it seems like i have a lot of time it leaves a lot of room for me to get a little too complacent and lazy. Plus i just finished a pretty intense masters course so its hard to get back into the grind. But i definitely need to start getting more organized soon. i did not know subject GREs are only twice a year. i checked online and it says the deadline for registration is only august 7th of this year for the first test which is on september 19th of this year. Are you sure it has already passed? 

I have been looking at other programs as well i do believe i have a better chance at them than i do with clinical (seeing how competitive the field sounds). I just thought clinical will be a safer option to use as a platform of which i can broaden onto other specific areas of study. But i will surely be looking at additional options! :D Thank you so much for all the help! 

@psychkita time is definitely a factor. Since it seems like i have a lot of time it leaves a lot of room for me to get a little too complacent and lazy. Plus i just finished a pretty intense masters course so its hard to get back into the grind. But i definitely need to start getting more organized soon. i did not know subject GREs are only twice a year. i checked online and it says the deadline for registration is only august 7th of this year for the first test which is on september 19th of this year. Are you sure it has already passed? 

I have been looking at other programs as well i do believe i have a better chance at them than i do with clinical (seeing how competitive the field sounds). I just thought clinical will be a safer option to use as a platform of which i can broaden onto other specific areas of study. But i will surely be looking at additional options! :D Thank you so much for all the help! 

Huh, they updated the webpage. Thank you for double checking then! Last I saw it was closed. 

I know what you mean by Clinical being a better platform. My experience is in Schizophrenia, BPD, Autism Spectrum Disorder etc., and I want to research ethical dilemmas in counseling practice. But, despite the social/clinical slant, I'm opening my options to cognitive and neuropsychology as well. I'm interest in all aspects of it, so by doing that,  hopefully don't shoot myself in the foot!

• 4 weeks later...

1. Definitely not too late, as others have indicated. Keep in mind that if you want to re-take GREs I think there is a 6 week waiting period (double-check that) so if you took in late september, you could retake in early november and still get the second set of scores submitted in time. 

2. The climate is competitive, but as the financial situation improves in the US, the field is becoming slightly less competitive as fewer over-qualified people are out of work and turning to graduate school in despair. What no one has mentioned yet is that being an international student will greatly improve your chances of getting accepted. If you want more info on my opinion of this, send me a PM

2. Definitely do not try to get into another Masters program at this point. If you are unsuccessful in gaining acceptance to a doctoral program this year, look for programs that you liked/applied to that also have a MA/MS program. Generally speaking, if you can't hit the right qualifications for the doctoral program, being in the master's program will help you get a foot in the door and even can transfer into the PhD program after 1-2 years if you network well enough and impress everyone. 

3. You will most likely not find many profs specialized in such niche fields of research, and if you do the competition to become one of their students is probably ridiculous. You would be better served by finding someone who has broad research experience in a general field, but also has good research/experience in the niche field that you want. In the long-run it is better to not commit yourself to such a niche field so early in your career!