SOOO worried about SLP!!!

I've been freaking out big time about getting into graduate school!!!

My first semester at university was this beginning winter (january - may).... I got a B- and B in two of the SLP classes I took. My major GPA is a 2.8 because I did so poorly that first semester. Let me tell you, I was so... SO unmotivated that semester. I turned around big time after realizing that I need to step my game up and that I would never get accepted if I kept going at the pace I was going. I will NEVER again get lower then a B+! I'm taking a SLP class right now and I have a solid A, so I really turned around and stepped up my game.

I have a 3.4 GPA cumulative right now, I still have 7 more SLP courses to take / Ace and I plan on retaking the B- so my major GPA could be around a 3.6ish. I have around 3-4 more semesters until I graduate so I feel like I still have time to improve my overall GPA and major GPA... I plan on ending off with a 3.6, *HOPEFULLY* 3.7 if I can reach that. My problem too, is that I transferred from a community college and I suffered from some major depression and my grades were all B's, with some A's. A few C's too. I also.. got ONE D in a class from my community college that was during my major trial of depression / sadness. It never transferred but it will show when I apply to graduate school. It was a bad semester for me.

I'm definitely not the perfect applicant. I'm just wondering though, are the admissions council more to look at the last 60 credits, or do they also take in transfer credits?

I'm bilingual, I volunteer a lot, and I already have some great letters of rec lined up.... I also have met the department chair and am somewhat known in the department because I've done volunteer work and I'm also starting a club for minorities within the field (which, honestly, IS important.) and the department was happy about that.

I'm also studying for my GRE from now, hopefully, getting a good score will help me as well.

So let's say... I end up with a major GPA of 3.5, and cumulative of 3.6. I'm bilingual, I volunteer, I'm involved within the student organizations as well as being the president of a minority chapter, and my GRE score should *hopefully* be more then okay. I used to be a student who had an articulation disorder and saw a speech pathologist for 8 years. I plan on writing this in my personal statement. I'm also running a blog about my passion for SLP and plan to use that for my grad school application to show how much time I dedicate to this.

what else can I improve? will my B- kill me? what else can I do? is there hope for me? :(

x

A

I don't think it will kill you - there are many here who have had worse GPAs that were accepted into grad school. That being said, make sure you research your preferred schools (and some non-preferred "safety" schools) and their expectations for their grad students. Use ASHA's EdFind to narrow in on schools of interest and then make contact with these schools, give your stats and ask if you would be considered a competitive applicant for their program. That being said, it is an extremely competitive major, and if I were you I would get into the mindset that you will get all As from here on out - don't settle for less, and best of luck to you!

Don't be worried! You have 7 more courses left and the simple fact that you've caught yourself this early on matters! Communications disorders was my undergrad degree (not postbacc) and I graduated with a 3.0 in my major. I didn't retake anything (though I wish I had) and luckily got into grad school on my first application cycle. I did have a couple years of solid work experience following graduation that probably worked in my favor too. That just goes to show that GPA isn't the only thing that matters to most worthwhile schools. Sure there are schools that are purely GPA driven, so if you're worried about that, then avoid those schools. Also, take full advantage of being bilingual. Find all the programs that have a bilingual focus and apply to them. Thats an asset that you have, that the majority of applicants do not have, but many schools are looking for. I'm not bilingual, but I am a minority and so I applied to all the programs that had a minority student focus. Continue to work hard to get your GPA where you want it to be and also be strategic in where you apply. I'm sure you'll be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

You will be fine hun! You are so far from graduation and have plenty of time to fix your GPA to where you want it. Believe me, grad schools look at everything, not just your grades. The fact that you turned it up a notch will be noted, and they will see the kind of person you are through other avenues, including your interview which is very important. It just so happens I got into a school that didn't require an interview. Make sure your essay is stellar as well for these types of schools. This will be your only way to make a personal impression. But I wouldn't overwhelm myself with grades. Get good ones as you are and score well on your GRE. Good luck!

You'll need to address the community college grades, but if you show a clear pattern of improvement, I think you've still got a shot. Maybe you won't get into the most selective programs, but you only need one acceptance and you'll be a SLP the same as if you graduated from a "name brand" school.