Recommendations for prep books

PrezRand

I got the Kaplan Premier Edition and their flashcards. The book is a little dry and hard to work through, but the flashcards were a blessing. Also, you get access to their online database and tutor services which can help a lot if you are lacking in one area of the other. I might be wrong, but I believe you get an additional 4 practice tests by getting the Premier Edition instead of the regular. I did not use them all, but they are available if you need them.

Hi PrezRand,

Although you didn't explicitly state it, I assume that you're talking about GRE-related books. While there are plenty of books to choose from, you'll likely benefit more from a computer-based resource than a print one. Books tend to be limited in what they can teach you (since there are only so many pages in the book) and make you practice in a format that is NOT realistic (pencil and paper). Depending on your score goals and target Schools, you might want to broaden your search for materials a bit.

What is your goal score?

When are you planning to apply to Grad School?

Do you know which Schools you want to apply to?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

I also got the Kaplan Premier GRE book, which gives you access to online resources. It had two practice tests in the book and four online, as well as a bunch of practice questions online that you could do in quiz format. I thought the book was helpful, but what really helped me the most was all the practice questions and tests. After taking the GRE, I felt like doing a lot of practice questions and tests was really what prepared me the most.

I would recommend Kaplan Premier, but I don't know what other good resources are out there since it's the only thing I used.

I would recommend the McGraw and Hill book as primary resource + Magoosh for a few math formulas not covered elsewhere + Kaplan list of vocab + Kaplan sample tests for extra pratice. Initially I used the Kaplan book but found the McGrawHill much more thorough, with more serious math and reasonable explanations for verbal. Errors, yes, but it is good practice to catch the book s errors. Kaplan tests were just an extra source of exercices, often easy (quant) or absurd (verbal).

For essays I have not found a single really good book. To me it remains the most enigmatic part. When I read sample responses which got 6.0 I do not understand how one can write that in so short a time and with such cool structure etc. I guess that s because I am not a native speaker. English doesn t flow for me. Still got a 5.0 probably thanks to the 2nd prompt. (Otherwise I scored in the 99th percentile in Q and V.)