Great Program vs Good Program + Intangibles. (Security Studies)

Whoa

Very last minute opportunity arose... and I find myself incredibly torn.

I was dead set on attending Georgetown's SSP Program this fall, but I was also given the opportunity to attend DU Korbel's International Security Program (at no cost) and live virtually debt free.

Now, I really like SSP and am incredibly interested in the course offerings and faculty, but I don't really like the idea of attending a program only in the evening. Especially if I need to divide my time working (in an security related job) just to cover some of the living costs. Is it easier to find jobs once in the program?

Otherwise in terms of Korbel, part of me would enjoy just focusing on classes/language.

Since I am thinking of moving into the federal space anyway, does the exact school matter (as long as it is a somewhat known program like Korbel)?

Would really appreciate anyone's thoughts!

Unless Georgetown is offering you a lot of funding, it is a no brainer. It might be more difficult to find work after graduation, and take more time, but when you realize how long it would take you to pay off the tuition for Georgetown than it is no comparison.

Georgetown is a hard pass but korbel is often regarded as a top 5 (maybe even top 3) in security studies. When I interned at the UN the USA embassy has quite a few alumni working there.

I would say going to a school like that for free would benefit you the most. Georgetown may be great but paying off your debt will take the rest of your life and might make you miserable. Utilize korbel's DC program to help you network for future jobs. The school is still highly respected and if you sell yourself, you should have no problem finding work.

Ditto the above. Both programs will open up similar professional opportunities - which are not particularly well paid and don't really justify paying full freight (sigh, maybe this is MBA envy) - so absolutely, definitely you should go to Korbel with full funding. If you're good enough to get a full ride offer from Korbel, you are definitely good enough to compete for the same types of internships and entry-level positions that the Georgetown kids get. 

Thanks all, I really appreciate all the feedback!

I misspoke, I have enough savings that I feel comfortable allocating for school (plus about 50% scholarship) so DU isn't exactly a full ride (god, I wish). 

My only hesitation is finding slightly limited opportunities post-grad with Korbel. Denver is an awesome town, but I'm not really looking to do NGO's or Think-tanks.  Georgetown as a brand-name carries a lot of weight, even if it is outside the specific field I'm interested in. If I'm moving into a field that isn't well funded (usually), doesn't it make sense to have the brand name for private sector? 

Totally splitting hairs here, people. I really appreciate all the insight and advice. 

I think if you can get good, relevant internships during your program, that will outweigh the name brand. Though I suppose it also depends on where in the US or world you want to work post-graduation. University of Denver has great name recognition out west, for example.

That's what I am a little worried about. Denver (I hear) is a little tough on the relevant internships. Sure, you can get one during the summer, but that seems especially difficult given the level of competition that time of year. 

Gtown has a lot of recognition in private sector, but for Federal jobs both are really just prerequisites, right? 

Again, Denver has a semester in DC you could do to get an internship. The brand name itself is not the main factor of the application. If you have skills, you'll be competitive.

One if my friends went to Pitt and three of her class, her included, got internships at the department of state, one of which was abroad.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an incoming international security student as well and have found so many relevant internships in my field based on being in DC. Although I'm attending an institution with very little funding, the DC internship opportunities have been endless...especially for someone like me who has lived in the middle of nowhere during undergrad. I've applied to 10+ internships and finally received a potential interview email for this Department of State internship...(fingers crossed).  Sure the debt will suck for some, but I also do not want to be coming out of grad school with zero relevant internships/jobs on my resume. My specified program doesn't even offer TA'ships since it is more policy/career oriented. DC seems to be the spot for us security people who are looking for ways to boost our resumes.

If you already have at least a few work experience/internships on your resume, then I'm sure that Denver won't kill you. I recall a DC internship option being offered at Korbel, but I don't know if that will be competitive or not.  The main advantage of Korbel is you not being in debt as you have mentioned. 

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Hi Whoa (and hello as well to everyone else),

I'm probably too late to weigh in on Whoa's situation. I'm thinking that s/he has probably already made a decision either way considering school has started.

For anyone else that is in a similar dilemma, I would recommend two things:

1) Negotiate (respectfully). Let Georgetown know (via email and in advance of the response deadline) that you've received generous funding from Korbel. Attach a PDF scan of the actual funding letter as proof. Let Georgetown know that you think their program is the ideal place for you but that it would be much more feasible to attend if you received more funding. I did this when applying to college, I do it with my clients every year, and it works about 1/3 of the time—meaning the school provides more funding. As long as you don't make any kind of "If I don't get the funding, I can't attend" type statements, you should be fine. I have never experienced (dealing with hundreds of applications) a school rescinding an admissions offer based on a student politely and clearly requesting more aid.

2) Talk to actual Georgetown and Korbel students and alumni about your situation and hear what they have to say. You're doing great by being on this forum, but I'd encourage you to go one step further and contact people via LinkedIn who share your professional and/or academic background and that are students and/or alumni of either of these schools. Imagine how clear the choice would be if you had actual Korbel alumni telling you to take the Georgetown offer—or telling you their success stories of getting the jobs they want after graduating from Korbel. People often create narratives that justify their own past decisions—but enough people are willing to admit when they think they've made a mistake if they think it will help someone else. These are the type of people that are invaluable when you are trying to make this kind of decision.

I'd be interested to know which school you chose. I'm the type to believe that all will work out well regardless of what you choose.

Kaneisha

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, the US Department of State internship while very helpful and prestigious is not particularly competitive, given that there are quite a lot of them and they are unpaid - a real shame IMHO, given high cost of living in DC, plus airfare and associated costs to get to other posts that are all responsibility of the intern. The closest thing to 'compensation' they provide is sponsorship for a clearance. For those that are already shelling out $40k/year for an ostensibly professional degree, an unpaid internship may look a little odd, but (sigh) this tends to be the lot of those who choose to go into International Affairs.