MSW Applications for Spring 2016 Hunter/Silberman!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to start this thread to see who else is applying for Hunter's MSW. At this point, I think the Fall 2015 decisions have been finalized (correct me if I'm wrong), so I thought a thread on Spring 2016 would be appropriate. I personally am applying for their Accelerated 18 month program. Is anyone else applying?

I would love to hear your progress in the application. I'm hoping this can be a place where we can throw out any questions or advice we might have!

• 1 month later...

Hey Dreamwithguts, Do you know whether our recommendation have to be in by the 1st of October or the 1st of November? I'm hoping to get my recs in order, but the application site doesn't note what they mean by "supplemental materials."

-Thumb

Sorry for the late responses! I've been waiting for so long I didn't think anyone would respond to my post lol. 

To lakeoffire800

I have a bachelors and my first job in a social service agency. I would definitely agree with your parents in the sense that it's difficult to earn a lot especially when you start out. But, in my opinion, you can definitely earn more (as in 70,000+) if you get the experience and know how to navigate career-wise. I had a therapist who was an LCSW. She saw people twice a day in the week, about $110 per hour. I'm assuming that would be about a total of 14 hours a day, and about $80,080 a year.. IMO that's not a bad salary. 

To thumbrella

You're right! I looked too and they don't seem to specify.. I would email omitchel@hunter.cuny.edu . She's the contact person and should know! 

Have you been able to attend any of the info sessions yet? If so I was wondering what you thought of it.

DWG,

Thanks for the input. I actually went in-person, and it turns out that the recs are in the supplemental materials. *phew*

I went to one of the info sessions, but that was many moons ago, when I first thought of applying. I think it was a pretty good run down of the methods and programs offered, but I don't recall it covering much more than that. I think there's one this week (Thursday?), so I may well go again. 

lol that's good. One of my recommenders is taking their sweet time. Have you submitted your non supplemental material?

Yes, I saw that Thursday session too. Did you attend? I went to the one in August and they really emphasized for the SOP to be a thorough self-assessment and to convey oneself as an emerging professional without getting personal.  Just wanted to share that for anyone applying.

Which program/method/focus are you applying for?

• 2 weeks later...

DWG,

I just submitted today. Sadly, I wasn't able to attend that session. I suppose I got somewhat personal in my personal statement, albeit briefly. I don't have a BSW, so a good deal of my personal statement was spent on describing the reasoning for my career transition and how my skill sets are transferable. I have a year worth of related work experience and most of a PhD, so here's hoping they'll have some mercy/think I'm amazing. I really want into this program.

I'm applying to the full-time accelerated, so the only option is direct practice with individuals and families.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I've been looking at some of the questions that have been posted here, and what people felt about the questions and related answers. I actually feel very confident about the interview as a lot of my previous training was related to conflicts of interest and researcher/subject therapist/client relations. I know exactly why I want to be a social worker and exactly why I want Hunter, so those should be easy questions to answer.

I assume that there will still be group interviews. When I went to inquire about the admissions process for the spring, they said 200 people apply typically, 60 of whom are accepted. 

BTW I notice my application went from "not complete" to "complete" today @4:50. So, here we go! Hopefully we'll both hear soon. 

Edited by thumbrella

Yay! I've been browsing around to see when people usually hear back from Hunter after they submit their application and it seems like the time frame is generally a month. Have you seen/heard a shorter time frame?

wow you sound really confident bc of so much experience, I think you'll do great! I'm really bad at interviewing,  mostly because of anxiety. Any tips on group interviews? 

It seems really really mixed with some people hearing within a couple weeks and then others hearing nothing until the last couple days. It seems their track record in terms of organizing the process is super bad, but I hope with less applicants to wrangle in the Spring, things should be better. When I went in person, I was told I could Expect a decision by early Dec.

Tips on group interviews: Keep calm. Being with other, calmer people really manages to highlight anxiety during the interview. My understanding of these group interviews is that they at least feel very relaxed and low-stakes. The other point I would make, is make sure to answer as many of the questions asked as possible. They want to both see that you're an engaged individuals and whether you have the critical skills needed to tackle the issues at hand.

Hi! I am also an applicant to the Spring 2016 MSW program at Silberman. 

I a little concerned because although the dashboard shows my application status as "SUBMITTED," it also says that my application is "incomplete."

Has anyone else experienced this with Hunter's application portal?

Thumbrella, 

when you heard that you could Expect a decision by early Dec, that was referring to Spring applicants? 

Thanks for the tips!:)

NewYorkMSW, 

Mine said submitted and iincomplete at the same time when they didn't receive the official transcript yet..but it should tell you what you're missing no?

I hope so too! I was accepted to NYU last week, but I am really hoping for the chance to consider Hunter. I also applied to Columbia, but I think it will end up being way too expensive to seriously consider. 

Did anyone else on this thread apply and/or hear from other programs?

WOW!!! I'm so happy for you!! I applied to both nyu and hunter and haven't heard back from any of them! May I ask when did you submit your app to nyu and to Hunter?  

Hey dreamwithguts, 

I went to online today and my application status had changed to Pending interview. I submitted on Sept 20 and everything was completed by October 1st. Good luck!

Oh my. Congrats to you too! and I really appreciate you adding to this post. Would you mind sharing your credentials? 

Thank you! Sure. Sorry for the late response. Gradcafe wasn't accepting my password. My GPA is a 3.7 and I majored in Psychology. I have almost 3 years of experience in non-profit organizations and I was an RA during my undergrad as well. 

WOW!!! I'm so happy for you!! I applied to both nyu and hunter and haven't heard back from any of them! May I ask when did you submit your app to nyu and to Hunter?  

Hey dreamwithguts - I submitted my NYU application on Oct. 2, and my Hunter application on Oct. 1. 

I'm sure you will do great - keep us posted!