MSW Applications for Spring 2016 Hunter/Silberman!

I want to apply to programs but I am feeling really bad because my parents tell me social work is a terrible field, low paying with drug addicts. I work with mentally handicapped people now and feel an MSW would help me get good career opportunities.

I'm a social worker and it's sad but your parents have the completely wrong idea.  I bet if you said "I want to be a psychotherapist" they would think it was a great idea. Guess what,  they are the same!  A social worker IS a psychotherapist and many go into private practice.  It is what you make of it, and where you live, but I know social workers making over $200,000 or more.  Some write books, some teach classes, some have private therapy practices, etc.  

Suze Ormond, the financial guru, is a social worker.  Graham Stedman, Oprah's boyfriend, is a social worker.  When she won an Oscar, Hillary Swank forgot to thank her husband and instead thanked her therapist.  Her therapist is a social worker.  She makes a lot of money working only work celebrities.  

It's also an extremely before career with many social workers going on to be administrators, directors and officers of agencies, like hospitals. I'm sure if you told your parents that you want to be CEO of a hospital, they wouldn't mind. Part of Social Work studies focuses on administration and policy, so many social workers do that. Or go on to start non profits or become lobbyist or politicians in DC. Many become professors or write books. If you told your parents that you wanted to be a politician, a famous author, or a college professor, would they feel the same way?  

You could also someday start your own mental health CLINIC, where other therapists work for you.

Sure, many people work low paying jobs in social work, but that's because they like working for that particular agency in that job.  Some of us want to get down in the dirt and really help raise people up from the most basic level.  But it doesn't mean that those are the only jobs.  It's a VERY versatile field, and you are only limited by what you choose to do with it. 

I'm a social worker, make good money with great benefits and I absolutely LOVE my job.  

HI guys! I just stumbled upon this thread and found it very helpful! I got into NYU last week after submitting my application on October 1st (such a fast process!). I also applied to go to Hunter and Columbia and submitted the applications on October 1st as well.

Hunter's application only just changed from "incomplete" to "complete" yesterday (10/19/2015)... They told me this is because they have to go through all the applications manually and it can take them a while sometimes for it to reflect on the website. 

Ideally, I would like to go to the most cost-effective program (Hunter) but NYU offered me money and so I have been considering that option more than I thought I would have to. Does anyone know if Columbia tends to give out scholarship money as well? 

Good luck to all of you!

Olayak, you have explained a fantastic point very well. I agreed 100%!! May I ask what you do? I just want to know for planning in my social work career.

Pavlovsdog- 

Welcome to the thread!:) and congrats on your NYU acceptance! I agree with you. I would love to go to Hunter too, but I know they do have an interview process which makes it more difficult to get it. Sorry I don't know much about Columbia though.  I applied only to NYU and Hunter. What day did you get accepted into NYU last week? out of curiosity because I have a pending theory now that they send out their acceptances on Fridays.. 

DWG, this was the only accelerated program I applied to. All the applications for Fall don't even open until November (Lehman College, Queens College). I thought of applying to NYU, but even if they were to give me a significant amount of money (30k), it would still be incredibly difficult to Justify the long-term cost, so I didn't even bother. 

So, this is the only one I'm waiting to hear from. I have some hope in the fact that Olayak's application wasn't even processed until yesterday. I've heard Hunter's process takes forever and is kind of nuts, so I feel a little bit reassured.

DWG,

Thank you! I received the offer Thursday night around 8:00 PM. I was quite surprised since I didn't think I would find out so early after having submitted it but I'll take it. I keep checking everyday hoping that my hunter application changes to "pending interview" but still no luck. Hopefully soon!

HI guys! I just stumbled upon this thread and found it very helpful! I got into NYU last week after submitting my application on October 1st (such a fast process!). I also applied to go to Hunter and Columbia and submitted the applications on October 1st as well.

Hunter's application only just changed from "incomplete" to "complete" yesterday (10/19/2015)... They told me this is because they have to go through all the applications manually and it can take them a while sometimes for it to reflect on the website. 

Ideally, I would like to go to the most cost-effective program (Hunter) but NYU offered me money and so I have been considering that option more than I thought I would have to. Does anyone know if Columbia tends to give out scholarship money as well? 

Good luck to all of you!

Hi Pavlovsdog, 

I am in a similar situation. I received a scholarship from NYU as well, but even with the discount the tuition is still SO high.

I also applied to Columbia, haven't heard back yet, but from what I've heard anecdotally they do not give out scholarships as large and as often as NYU does. (90-100% of admitted NYU students get scholarships.)

At the end of the day, I will choose the most cost-effective program as all three (Hunter, NYU, Columbia) are very good. I need to make a responsible financial decision, even though the NYU and Columbia names are very seductive!

Best of luck to all! 

Hi all! 

I've found these posts incredibly helpful to understand the admissions timeline, so I figured I'd join the group and share some info. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted or is in the interview process!!

I applied to Hunter and NYU's accelerated Spring programs. My NYU application was complete on 10/2 and I was accepted on 10/8 (Thursday night). My Hunter application was completed at the end of September, but I'm still waiting to hear if I get an interview. It's so nervewracking!!

I'm in the exact same boat as everyone here---I would ideally love to attend Hunter as I'm a career changer switching over after 8 years in inner city education as a teacher/AP (and I already have my  M.S.Ed from Penn and an Ed.S) so the more money I can save, the better!!! NYU offered a scholarship, which was great and makes me feel better about having them as a backup, but we're still talking about a lot of money in the long term. 

Also, does anyone have a sense of the average student age in each program? Are accelerated students usually older/more experienced? What does this look like at Hunter v NYU? It would be great to attend a program with a diverse cohort--different levels of age/experience really do enrich the learning process....

lawsonbl02

I have a few friends that were in each of the programs and it seems to me that Hunter has the most diverse population. When I went to the Columbia information session they mentioned that the 16-month students tend to be older but I'm only 22 so I suppose it can vary!

Hey everyone. I received an email for an invitation for an interview for Thursday Oct 29. Wish me luck!

Everything is happening really fast but before I applied I read in a lot of forums that usually people hear from Hunter about their interview by the end of Oct. I was surprised myself when I received the email. So you will most likely hear by next week. Good luck everyone.

I agree pretty much with Thumbrella and New York MSW. I would definitely choose Hunter at the end of the day because of the cost.

SO I heard back from Hunter and NYU today!!!! Accepted into NYU as of 10/22 at 8:24PM via email (The app was submitted and completed 09/29). And when I checked my Hunter app at 5PM there was Pending Interview (that app was completed 09/23 and submitted 09/19) ! Then at 6:28PM I received an email invitation for an interview. They gave 5 different days/times that I could choose from. The 10/29 one that Cunymsw is going to attend and the date before that were all full, so I chose my date for the first week of November. Cunymsw, it sounds like they just provided you a date without the option for you to choose days? If that's correct it seems maybe that for stronger applicants, they for sure try to interview first.. Anyway there were five different days to choose from...I've heard it's about 10 people? max? So maybe they'll be interviewing 50 ppl in total for the first batch of interviews? I've heard that the people they interview first are their stronger candidates bc of a 3 tier system so I'm hoping we all get in more easily! Don't take my word. This is all guesswork lol.

And I wish you the best best of luck cunymsw! I hope everyone else hears back from the rest of the schools soon!

Is anyone else who has the interview scheduled or has a pending interview nervous about the writing sample? I am...

Edited by dreamwithguts

Hey guys!

I had the interview at Hunter today. It wasn't too bad! Everyone interviewing is in the same boat and are super nice which makes it less scary. There was never really a question I wasn't sure how to answer.

I would say the worst part was the writing sample? I had an article about homelessness and then had to write the social welfare implications about the article. The amount of space they give you to write is just so minimal it was hard to write so little and make as many points as possible.

Hope this helps!

Hi Everyone!

I am also applying to Hunter for the Spring '16 Accelerated OYR Program. My application was submitted on 9/10 and completed 9/15. On Friday 10/23, I finally received a PENDING INTERVIEW status but have not been emailed possible interview dates as of yet :( 

Quite frankly, I am very fearful I won't get accepted into the program although I received my undergrad degree from Hunter College. Nevertheless, I wish everyone the best of luck! 

Pavlovsdog, thanks for sharing those details!! I really appreciate these insights and i hope you hear back soon! I know they ask questions about your sw experience, why hunter, why social work, minority populations, social identity and such but do you ask you specific questions/details about your experiences, weakness and strengths and questions like "what's a challenge you've faced"?

Olayak, you have explained a fantastic point very well. I agreed 100%!! 

I'm a psychiatric social worker at a large hospital and I also started a non profit.  I also have taught university classes in the past and I'm planning to return to that. Eventually I'll also open a private practice.  But I'm also considering an administrative position at my hospital instead. The benefits at the hospital are unbelievable, the best I've ever had. I would work there for the benefits alone :)

Feel free to ask any questions! I got my MSW at NYU but I also have my BA and a MSED and another MA from Hunter so I know both schools well :) and I have friends who graduate from the Columbia program. 

To be very honest to all, Hunter's program is the best out of the three. I loved NYU but I wish I had gone to Hunter instead. 

Edited by olayak

You start off by first introducing yourself and elaborating on your experience. They didn't really ask about social identity. From what we were told there are two interviewers so the questions might be different depending on who you get.

From what I can remember  (it was a blur) these are the questions they ask:

They asked you to identify two vulnerable populations and what makes them vulnerable.

They ask what is a specific population you are NOT interested in working with and why. Then they follow up the question with a scenario in which  you are working with this population (field placement) and want to know how you would handle it. 

They asked what was a piece of constructive criticism that you have received in the past and how did you take the criticism and learn from it.

They asked if you are applying for the 16 month (instead of OYR) how you think you are going to be able to handle this program while being unemployed.

I am sure there were a few more questions after that.

Then you have twenty minutes for the writing sample.

The interviewer is extremely kind and actually spends a bit of time talking about the program, the people they are looking for and what it means to be a social worker.

Hope this helps!

You start off by first introducing yourself and elaborating on your experience. They didn't really ask about social identity. From what we were told there are two interviewers so the questions might be different depending on who you get.

From what I can remember  (it was a blur) these are the questions they ask:

They asked you to identify two vulnerable populations and what makes them vulnerable.

They ask what is a specific population you are NOT interested in working with and why. Then they follow up the question with a scenario in which  you are working with this population (field placement) and want to know how you would handle it. 

They asked what was a piece of constructive criticism that you have received in the past and how did you take the criticism and learn from it.

They asked if you are applying for the 16 month (instead of OYR) how you think you are going to be able to handle this program while being unemployed.

I am sure there were a few more questions after that.

Then you have twenty minutes for the writing sample.

The interviewer is extremely kind and actually spends a bit of time talking about the program, the people they are looking for and what it means to be a social worker.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much pavlovsdog--this was incredibly helpful!!  I'm wondering about group dynamics in terms of answering questions---do they call on you to specifically answer, or are you expected to jump in/not over and answer freely in the group? 

Thanks so much pavlovsdog--this was incredibly helpful!!  I'm wondering about group dynamics in terms of answering questions---do they call on you to specifically answer, or are you expected to jump in/not over and answer freely in the group? 

You're just supposed to jump in. If you're not sure about your answer I would let someone go first but suggest going second or third because by the time you're last it's hard to come up with something that hasn't been said before. I was sitting right next to the interviewer and could see that she was jotting down our key points. The person who tended to go last tended to just agree with what had been said before.

Thanks so much for sharing Pavlovsdog, this was extremely helpful!! I know you said that everyone spoke about their experience..so in terms of picturing it, I imagine that everyone just goes around and talks about their volunteer and work experience.. my question is does the interviewer ask follow up questions regarding people's experiences? such as asking you to provide a specific situation you encountered in xyz job or asking other details?

So everything pavlovsdog said is true as far as the interview process. It seems like there wasn't much difference between the interviews (since I went a different day). There was no follow up questions or elaborations. The interview is really relaxed and the group was very comfortable with each other. You do jump in however everyone is given a turn and everyone seems to agree and be on the same page. The questions were answered in a conversation manner. The interviewer would give her own feedback as well and sort of guide the conversation. You do get a few scenario questions but it was very centered around you (how do you plan to pay for school, what population you want to work with, how would you proceed with xyz client if he did xyz). The interviewer didn't really push for follow up however be sure to answer the question in the end. There were questions where as a group we talked on and on but never gave a yes or no which is what she was looking for. Also be sure you have questions for the interviewer at the end.

The article was very straight forward and a very easy read. The writing sample is 20 minutes long and there isn't a lot of space to write so be sure you are able to get straight to the point. 

Good news for everyone who has not heard yet. They are interviewing till December so there's hope.