MSW Applications for Spring 2016 Hunter/Silberman!

15 hours ago, pavlovsdog said:

Good luck on all your interviews!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I found out I was accepted into Hunter today so hopefully once you have your interview you won't have to wait too long :)

I was also accepted! Pavlovsdog, will you accept? Are you deciding between Hunter and any other schools?

5 hours ago, NewYorkMSW said:

I was also accepted! Pavlovsdog, will you accept? Are you deciding between Hunter and any other schools?

I am 90% certain I am going to accept. I am extremely interested in the clinical track and I just want to make sure that I go to the best program. I have been reading all the forums and this seems like the best option. I got into NYU and I'm waiting to hear about Columbia (I'm assuming I'll get in since Hunter is the most selective but who knows)-- I just wish they weren't so expensive! It is extremely hard for me to justify spending that much money for my MSW. It's not the worst problem in the world to have options... I just want to make sure I make the right choice and choose the program that best fits me!

So, I had my interview today. Ms. Grey (interim admissions director) was the facilitator. Questions included: 1) What population would you be least interested in working with and why? 2) Provide a definition for vulnerable populations & what are two vulnerable populations and what makes them vulnerable? 3) What are YOU bringing to Hunter? 4) Why should we admit you to Hunter? 5) How are you a helper in your life? What do you think of the role social workers play in helping others?

The writing sample was about social welfare implications of reducing food deserts. I too found myself feeling dicey about it. They want two paragraphs, but there is little time to read, reflect on the reading and plan the writing and WAY too little space for 2 cohesive paragraphs (1 of my written paragraphs is nearly the amount of space they allotted us).

An interesting insight was that 60/190 applicants are being taken this semester. If 2/3 of applicants made it past the application stage, this would mean that so long as you performed in the top half of your interview pool, that you would be admitted. Granted, that's mighty speculative... but for those of us speculators, maybe useful. I was also informed that our interview performance would be forwarded to review by tomorrow. and that ALL decisions pertaining to admission for spring will be made by December.

Thumbrella you have no idea how much I appreciate this as I am having my interview tomorrow.  May I ask, how did you answer questions 3, 4 and 5? 3 and 4 especially sound so similar.  I would be so grateful if you get to see this post before tomorrow.  

Hi everyone!!! 

I had the interview today and I got accepted on the same day.  I want to thank EVERYONE on this forum who shared their interview experience because it was extremely incredibly helpful. I want to help those who have their interview tomorrow and for future applicants so here is my piece of input:)

The interview lady was Ms. Gray as well and she was very nice. The questions of "do you have any questions for me? and the writing sample were squeezed into two different parts of the interview..I felt like Ms. Gray was just being nice and trying to give us a break from those questions .

1) Which student are you, 18mo or oyr ? Why did you chose social work and what are you currently doing? 

2) What is a population you don't want to work with? and why? (and she did not give our group the scenario question of 'what would you do if you were placed in a field placement with this population?) 

3)What is the biggest risk for you in terms of going to graduate school? 

4) What was a constructive criticism you received. How did you take it and what did you do? 

5) Why hunter? Why the clinical track?

6) Why should I choose you?

7) Questions for me?

The writing sample was about a change in food policy where, in order to address obesity and hunger, the policies will promote the production of local, affordable, nutritious food locally, which in turn will create jobs for people. When I studied for these articles, I tried to look up the latest nasw chat or news because i thought those topics would probably be what the writing sample was able..but for those who were wondering like me, my article was dated 2013. Just sharing that in case anyone wondered. GOOD LUCK to everyone tomorrow :) and to all future readers who have to go through this interview process :) 

Congrats DWG! I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply to you in time, but it looks like you've done just swell! I got my accepance tonight as well!

Some final thoughts for future applicants, because I disnt see a spring thread perusing the boards before: This application Season was FAST. This program historically seems to have difficulty organizing their admissions process, but that may be exclusive to the fall. Also noted that the admissions director this semester claimed she was not on admissions before, so it may be either the difference in volume ~200 vs ~500 or simply better administrators.

Congratulations everyone! I also received my acceptance letter!

It seems like the questions are similar with one or two of them excluded. The articles seem to change as mine was on homelessness but others had their article on food policy. I also agree with thumbrella that the spring applications being this fast may be due to better administration or the semester. I think its most likely administration because even the interviews were scheduled sooner than expected. 

woohoo! I just got accepted this afternoon as well. I'm so excited/relieved.

I'm pretty sure that when you're a full-time student, you can enroll for health insurance through Hunter. I think it's an option you can add on to tuition and other student living costs.  

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Congrats to all that were accepted to the MSW program at hunter and other MSW programs. I'm applying to the FALL 2016 advanced standing program. I wanted to know if you guys have any tips writing the statement of purpose?

Thanks