Graduate programs with human rights/indigenous specializations

valpo7

Hey guys!

I'll be applying for grad school this fall and although I've done TONS of research I still feel like I'm missing possible school options. So, does anyone here know of universities that have programs with human rights or indigenous specializations? I know you typically need to go off of what individual professors research interests are but I'm curious to know how many of these types of programs exist. Let me know if you've come across any! Thanks!

Harvard has a strong human rights focus, from what I understand, as do Brown and Tufts. All of these universities have strong interdisciplinary centers that deal with issues of human rights. Miriam Ticktin--  the New School-- also comes to mind. You might also look at reaching out to legal anthropologists who tend to think about these issues -- Sally Merry at NYU maybe? The anthropology of human rights is kind of booming right now, so you could probably pitch the project at any number of schools and see what happens. 

On the topic of indigeneity, I think your choice of program/faculty would really depend on your regional focus. Are you interested in indigenous social movements in Latin America for instance? Practices of sovereignty within native North America (e.g. Jessica Catellino at UCLA)? Many many anthropologists work with indigenous people, so again, I think you could pitch your project at a variety of places.