2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Just now, Micecroscopy said:

I did Amgen, too, and didn't have that great of an experience with it. But maybe that's because I wasn't at Harvard...

Where did you do yours, if you don't mind me asking?  (And I know, Harvard is all they claim to be and more.  For us bioscience people, Longwood Campus is AH-mazing.  I really felt completely honored to work there, even though the traffic getting into work was bad.  :P)

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Where did you do yours, if you don't mind me asking?  (And I know, Harvard is all they claim to be and more.  For us bioscience people, Longwood Campus is AH-mazing.  I really felt completely honored to work there, even though the traffic getting into work was bad.  :P)

I did it at the same place I was an undergrad, so I just stayed ended up staying the same lab I was already in.

Also, I wouldn't worry about GPA that much. The school I went to had so much grade inflation that in almost every class 50% of students got As.

1 minute ago, Micecroscopy said:

I did it at the same place I was an undergrad, so I just stayed ended up staying the same lab I was already in.

Also, I wouldn't worry about GPA that much. The school I went to had so much grade inflation that in almost every class 50% of students got As.

Oh makes sense.  The Harvard students that were there did that as well.  WHAT?  Ugh.  My physics class was not only engineering physics but it was designed to fail everyone out.  They reserved the right to take away points!  (Still mad about that...)  But I'm trying not to think about all these apps even though I'm on here talking about them!

1 hour ago, Micecroscopy said:

Columbia?

My experience as an Amgen scholar was also great, sorry that you didn't enjoy yours. A new location was a big part of it though.

I was about to turn in my applications and I got preemptively rejected from every place with an email saying "Don't even bother." I have a 4.0, 169/170 GRE, six years of research experience with five first author publications, and everything I've done so far and everything I plan to do aligns exactly with the programs I applied to. Did this happen to anyone else? Application season is so stressful

7 minutes ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

I was about to turn in my applications and I got preemptively rejected from every place with an email saying "Don't even bother." I have a 4.0, 169/170 GRE, six years of research experience with five first author publications, and everything I've done so far and everything I plan to do aligns exactly with the programs I applied to. Did this happen to anyone else? Application season is so stressful

I actually got banned from ever applying again. And they sent a video message laughing at me. I thought it was a but over the top. 

9 hours ago, Micecroscopy said:

Oh wow.  I go to a small school, so it is so weird being on here and seeing how different grading is at different schools.  At my school, teachers don't even curve!

1 hour ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Where did you apply?  It seems odd that any program would turn away a student before review has even begun.

1 hour ago, Gram Neutral said:

I actually got banned from ever applying again. And they sent a video message laughing at me. I thought it was a but over the top. 

Where did this happen?  And was it this cycle?  I've never heard of anyone getting treated like this and it kind of is terrifying.

3 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Where did you apply?  It seems odd that any program would turn away a student before review has even begun.

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Where did this happen?  And was it this cycle?  I've never heard of anyone getting treated like this and it kind of is terrifying.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that they were joking.

Just now, biochemm said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that they were joking.

Haha I thought they might be.  Although my friend and I are both applying to Stanford and it feels like the sheer amount of hoops you jump through is an automatic rejection in and of itself.  I'm still mad I had to FedEx 2 copies of my transcript to them.  So I could see them sending out a letter telling you that you shouldn't bother!  :P

1 hour ago, Gram Neutral said:

You forgot a /s and FeelsBadMan.jpg 

:^)

3 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Haha I thought they might be.  Although my friend and I are both applying to Stanford and it feels like the sheer amount of hoops you jump through is an automatic rejection in and of itself.  I'm still mad I had to FedEx 2 copies of my transcript to them.  So I could see them sending out a letter telling you that you shouldn't bother!  :P

For what it's worth (and for posterity/future applicants) if your university/registrar/whoever is capable of sending certified eTranscripts, I'm pretty sure Biosciences will accept that.

In other news, I'm tweaking about a letter writer who hasn't submitted yet, and currently on page 40/106 reading through last year's thread. People start getting interviews for some of my programs mid december.... AHHHHH!

3 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Lol I'm sorry. I thought the part about being mocked via video by an admissions board would give away that I was kidding. 

1 hour ago, ruckaround said:

In other news, I'm tweaking about a letter writer who hasn't submitted yet, 

Me too! Are the adding to our anxiety on purpose just to see how we can handle it? Lol

Every time I logon to a site and it says "Application Incomplete" because it's missing a letter, makes me more nervous!

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

Does anyone else have issues with the Harvard BBS portal checklist?

Yes!  For a while it wasn't showing that my app was submitted - now that is fixed but one of my letters of LoRs isn't showing a checkmark even though it is showing "Received (Official)"

2 hours ago, ruckaround said:

For what it's worth (and for posterity/future applicants) if your university/registrar/whoever is capable of sending certified eTranscripts, I'm pretty sure Biosciences will accept that.

I sent an eTranscript a couple weeks ago and am still waiting for it to be processed.  It is still showing received (unofficial).

Edited by biosci
typo

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

Does anyone else have issues with the Harvard BBS portal checklist?

The GSAS one?  I freaked out and called them because it didn't have a check mark beside one of my letters but it said received... They were unconcerned.

2 hours ago, ruckaround said:

In other news, I'm tweaking about a letter writer who hasn't submitted yet, and currently on page 40/106 reading through last year's thread. People start getting interviews for some of my programs mid december.... AHHHHH!

Also, my school doesn't do that.  For a university of science and friggin technology you would think they would.  Biosciences would have accepted it.  What programs notify mid-December?

17 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

The GSAS one?  I freaked out and called them because it didn't have a check mark beside one of my letters but it said received... They were unconcerned.

Also, my school doesn't do that.  For a university of science and friggin technology you would think they would.  Biosciences would have accepted it.  What programs notify mid-December?

Looking at last year's thread (1st page of this thread if you don't want to search for it) A person from UNC got an invite on the 5th :o and super early ones from Penn Neuro, Emory, Vanderbilt, UTSW and other UT's, U Chicago etc... Flip through it if you want, I shouldn't be procrastinating this hard because of finals

41 minutes ago, biosci said:

Yes!  For a while it wasn't showing that my app was submitted - now that is fixed but one of my letters of LoRs isn't showing a checkmark even though it is showing "Received (Official)"

I sent an eTranscript a couple weeks ago and am still waiting for it to be processed.  It is still showing received (unofficial).

I just called and it seems that it's just a glitch in the system that everyone is experiencing. As long as your other documention is fine, there is no prob. ????

36 minutes ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

No one received my GRE scores that were sent weeks ago. What is this I don't even

Edit: Wait they probably did receive my scores but never linked them because I hadn't submitted my application... Right?

Probably.  That happened for me for a few schools.

5 hours ago, ruckaround said:

I'm saving that monster of a thread until I submit my last application tomorrow, so I have something to occupy my nerves during the waiting period, ha.

11 hours ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

lol

5 hours ago, StemCellBio said:

Me too! Are the adding to our anxiety on purpose just to see how we can handle it? Lol

Every time I logon to a site and it says "Application Incomplete" because it's missing a letter, makes me more nervous!

This is seriously how I feel. C'mon buddy, you said you'd be delighted. You've got 3.5 hours, lets make it happen. Haha.

4 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

What programs notify mid-December?

That I've applied to? I saw interviews for UW MCB, UPenn CAMB, and UC Berkeley all in the late teen dates.

5 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

What programs notify mid-December?

Not to like...cause anyone to enter freakout mode, but last year Vanderbilt (which you applied to right?) sent out their first two rounds of interviews on December 4th and 10th.