2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

It should be fine. From my understanding, the letter writers usually write one letter and just change the addressee according to the school it's meant for. 

I can confirm this as I've seen some. I'd say the vast majority are just a letter. Some have them check off boxes rating you from poor to excellent based on things like organization, ability to work in a group, communication, etc. One of my 8 applications had that, but the other 7 were just letters. 

Undergrad Institution:  Public, large state school
Major(s): Biological Science
Minor(s): Animal and Poultry Science
GPA in Major: 3.51
Overall GPA: 3.63
Position in Class: Top 20%
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Attemp 1:
Q: 155 (60%)

V:152 (54%)
W: 4.5 (80%)

Attempt 2:
Q: 152

V: 155
W: TBA

B: Not taking

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

2 years as a research assistant at an immunology lab, can do a wide range of lab techniques and worked almost full time while balancing extracurricular activities and rigorous coursework.  Wrote and submitted IACUC protocols for the lab on autoimmune diseases.  Was in charge of a small microbiome project, co-manager of the mouse colony and responsible for creating new KO mice strains

1 year involved in clinical studies working with a variety of veterinarians

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Deans list every semester
Magna Cum Laude
Graduated with Honors
Post-Baccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award from the National Institutes of Health

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)
Currently working as a Post-Baccalaureate IRTA at the NIH (NIAID) with my own project

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

I should have solid LORs and I can write a good SOP

Applying to Where:
All biomedical - immunology unless stated otherwise

Georgetown - NIH GPP Program

WashU

Johns Hopkins - NIH GPP Program

University of Maryland

UVA

Virginia Tech - Genetics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology: Life Sciences track

Penn State (maybe)

Upenn (super reach school)

NYU (maybe)

The main thing I'm concerned about is my GRE score.  I was never a good standardized test taker, and I already took the exam twice - I thought my quant score would go up because I was scoring higher on the practice exams the second time around but I guess I messed up during the actual exam..
Should I mention anything about this on my SOP or are the scores sufficient enough that I could skate by?  I don't have time to take it again and this is a huge thorn on my side.  I'll probably apply to all the schools listed because I'm worried that my GRE score will hurt my chances of getting in..

Undergrad Institution: Large California State University
Major(s): Cell and Molecular Biology
Minor(s): Women's Studies
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 2.99
Position in Class: Average
Type of Student: Domestic

M.S. Institution: Mid California State University
Major(s): Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.9
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Domestic

Q: 156
V: 157
W: 4.0
B: Not taking due to MS degree

Research Experience: 2 years undergraduate research in a molecular virology lab with an independent project and multiple conference presentations. 1 year of MS research in a molecular cancer biology lab. Currently no publications, but hopefully will have one later this year.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing spectacular

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Experience tutoring high school students, mentoring undergraduate students, and 3 semesters teaching, microbiology and general biology lab courses during my MS.

Special Bonus Points: My 3 recommenders have solid connections with Stanford and UCSD and hoping that plays in my favor. Also have already met and interviewed with a professor who does HIV research at University of Utah and he is willing to support my application, possibly my top choice right now.

Also, this is my second time applying.

Applying to Where:
San Diego State University- Joint Doctoral Program- Cell and Molecular Biology- Molecular Viro

University of California San Diego- Biomedical Sciences- Micro/ Immuno

University of California Los Angeles- Immunity, Microbes, and Molecular pathogenesis

Stanford- Biosciences- Micro/ Immuno

University of Washington- Molecular and Cell Biology- Microbiology, Infection and Immunity

University of Utah- Biosciences/ Molecular Bio- Micro/ Viro

University of Colorado Denver- Biomedical Sciences- Micro

University of Wisconsin Madison- Cell and Molecular Bio- Viro focus group

University of Pittsburgh- Interdisciplinary Biomed- Molecular Viro/ Micro

Yale- Biosciences- Micro/ Viro

Undergrad Institution: Big Ten, top public

Graduate School: Mid-Tier College
Major(s): Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor(s): Political Science
GPA in Major: 2.75 (thanks Physics) 
Overall GPA: 3.05 (3.3 last 60 credits)

Grad GPA: 4.0 (only 6 credits, will be 12 by interviews)
Position in Class: average
Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 158
V: 160
W: 4.0
B:
(strongly considering retaking)

Research Experience: 2 years in undergrad, 3 month internship in HIV research, 9 months working in a diagnostics lab with lots of pathogens, 3 months developing a drug for a pharmaceutical company in an international internship in Germany, and already 1 year working on vaccine research and development with various Tier-1 organisms in a BSL-3 lab.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List senior year

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Director for a retreat program at school.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Been working full time for 2 years now with a wide range of experience.

Special Bonus Points: Currently in a Master's program, only just enrolled. It made me want to get a PhD program. The only reason I enrolled is because I was forced to declare or else my classes would no longer count. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Notre Dame

Iowa State

University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign MCB

Northwestern- Haven't decided

University of Chicago- Microbiology

Maryland?

Georgetown?

Kansas?

St. Louis University?

So this is kind of my last hurrah. I've applied before to graduate school, and I think my low GPA always kept me out of the running. I've taken graduate classes, and am working towards my Master's right now, but I just really want to go into a PhD program. I didn't apply last year, and just focused on my work. I have worked in many different fields, mostly Microbiology, and I have extensive Micro experience. I am hoping that I can raise my GRE scores, since the cost of sending my old ones to new schools would basically equal the cost of taking the exam in the first place, so I might as well. I also hope that my master's classes will show that although I was a bad student my first 2 years, I've turned it around, and that I have perseverance. I'm still looking at schools. I have some highly ranked schools on there, but I would only actually apply to those if I got positive feedback from Professor's who also do work on some of the organisms I am familiar with. Very much open to suggestions. I'm definitely applying to schools a tier or two below most people on here, but that is just how it is with a GPA like mine. 

@gram neutral

I am in a similar situation. Low undergraduate record and average GRE scores. I'm shooting for some top schools as well. Good luck and I hope you have better luck this time!

Undergrad Institution: Reputed University In Turkey
Major(s): Molecular Biology and Genetics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major:N/A
Overall GPA: 3.95
Type of Student: international

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 167 (94%)
V: 166 (96%)
B: 

TOEFL Total: 119 (Reading:29, Listening,Speaking and Writing:30 ), out of 120.

Research Experience: 1 year volunteer at a yeast molecular genetics lab, 2 research projects in the same lab studying molecular mechanism of aging, 1 summer internship in Concordia University Canada, Studying aging in yeast as well, but this was a biochemistry lab, so we studied lipid dynamics in those yeast strains.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Dean's list in every semester, probably going to graduate Summa Cum Laude 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: An international student in turkey, studying under Government Scholarship,

Special Bonus Points: Recommendations are going to be great..I have good connections with all of the recommenders.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where:

Harvard - BBS - Mostly Aging biology, Redox biology, same for all  programs

UPenn - Biomedical Graduate Studies: Cell and Molecular Biology 

Brown University - Cell and Molecular Biology

Princeton- Biosciences

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor: Cellular Molecular and Developmental Biology

Johns Hopkins: Cell and Molecular Biology

NYU-Sackler

University of Colorado,Boulder- Cell and Molecular Biology

Considering my profile and the fact that I am an international student, Am I aiming too high? Should I also include some less competitive programs? I think I have competitive standardized test scores..but what worries me is that I have no publication. Having publication at undergraduate level is a rarity in Turkey. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks and good luck to all applicants!

Undergrad Institution: Reputed University In Turkey
Major(s): Molecular Biology and Genetics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major:N/A
Overall GPA: 3.95
Type of Student: international

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 167 (94%)
V: 166 (96%)
B: 

TOEFL Total: 119 (Reading:29, Listening,Speaking and Writing:30 ), out of 120.

Research Experience: 1 year volunteer at a yeast molecular genetics lab, 2 research projects in the same lab studying molecular mechanism of aging, 1 summer internship in Concordia University Canada, Studying aging in yeast as well, but this was a biochemistry lab, so we studied lipid dynamics in those yeast strains.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Dean's list in every semester, probably going to graduate Summa Cum Laude 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: An international student in turkey, studying under Government Scholarship,

Special Bonus Points: Recommendations are going to be great..I have good connections with all of the recommenders.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where:

Harvard - BBS - Mostly Aging biology, Redox biology, same for all  programs

UPenn - Biomedical Graduate Studies: Cell and Molecular Biology 

Brown University - Cell and Molecular Biology

Princeton- Biosciences

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor: Cellular Molecular and Developmental Biology

Johns Hopkins: Cell and Molecular Biology

NYU-Sackler

University of Colorado,Boulder- Cell and Molecular Biology

Considering my profile and the fact that I am an international student, Am I aiming too high? Should I also include some less competitive programs? I think I have competitive standardized test scores..but what worries me is that I have no publication. Having publication at undergraduate level is a rarity in Turkey. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks and good luck to all applicants!

I think you have excellent numbers, even for an international student. In terms of school selection, what rationale did you use when choosing? Admission to grad school is mainly based on fit, so if you looked at ranking alone, this is likely to be reflected on your SOP. Do you feel like the research going on at these institutions matches your research and professional interests? 

What do you mean by "volunteer"? Did you have your own project (s) or when you mainly helping around whomever needed assistance? How much research experience do you have overall? (This is perhaps the most important factor when it comes to admission). Will all of your recommenders comment on your ability to perform research, as in, have they all supervised your work one way or another? 

Undergrad Institution: University of California (One in NorCal)
Major(s): Psychology- Biological Emphasis
Minor(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.0
Overall GPA: 2.7
Position in Class: Meh?
Type of Student: Uh..Minority LGBT Male 1st generation

M.S. Institution: Northeast Smaller School
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.6
Type of Student: Minority LGBT Male 1st generation

Q: 148 (retaking)
V: 154 (retaking)
W: 4.0
B: not going to take it

Research Experience: 3 years during my undergraduate career in a neuroendocrinology lab. 1 year post grad in the same lab. 1 publication, 1 currently in preparation from that laboratory, and 4 abstracts from that lab.

Masters experience: 6 months in a cell/molecular neurobiology lab, 1 abstract from that. Currently back in behavioral neuroscience with a big name in my field (behavioral neuroendocrinology)

(oh god..am I really coming up on 5 years)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: lols.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for Neurobiology for a semester, followed by Introduction to Biology. Been on academic panel talks, and gave a talk at a certain university on my research. Member of SfN, SBN, and Sigma Xi

Special Bonus Points:  Stellar letters of recommendation, every lab I'm applying to I have been able to meet personally and chat with them- it's all a matter of applying!  All of my letter writers know the PI's where I'm applying..it's kind of an incestuous field, they shuffle students around to each other's labs.

Applying to Where:
SUNY Albany- Behavioral Neuroscience

SUNY Binghamton- Behavioral Neuroscience

Boston College- Behavioral Neuroscience

UMass Boston- Developmental and Brain Sciences

UMass Amherst- Neuroscience and Behavior

Cornell- Behavioral and Evolutionary Neuroscience

U Delaware- Behavioral Neuroscience

Kent State- Neuroscience

I think you have excellent numbers, even for an international student. In terms of school selection, what rationale did you use when choosing? Admission to grad school is mainly based on fit, so if you looked at ranking alone, this is likely to be reflected on your SOP. Do you feel like the research going on at these institutions matches your research and professional interests? 

What do you mean by "volunteer"? Did you have your own project (s) or when you mainly helping around whomever needed assistance? How much research experience do you have overall? (This is perhaps the most important factor when it comes to admission). Will all of your recommenders comment on your ability to perform research, as in, have they all supervised your work one way or another? 

Hi, thank you very much for your response. During volunteering, I did not have any independent projects. Here in Turkey, undergraduate students are rarely given independent projects as fundings  are difficult to manage. I have only worked in one lab in Turkey, so one of my recommender is going to mention my research, but I made a very good impression on him, so the letter would be very positive. Another letter comes from the professor I did my summer research internship in Canada, So that is also going to be research-related. The third letter comes from a professor with whom I took 2 courses (MicroBio and Prokaryotic molecular genetics) and an extensive laboratory course.

My overall research experience is probably the 2 projects (around 1 year) and 3 months of summer internship. (If you exclude the "volunteer" period)

As for university selection, My top choices like Harvard or Princeton have large research centers on aging: my topic of interest. I did choose some of the universities like NYU based on other's advices..as I was having difficulty finding universities that have multiple faculty members studying aging. Most of the big programs have some faculty members studying my topic of interest, But I want to have some safe options, as big schools like ivy leagues are very competitive. Any suggestions?

Someone critique my profile and choices too please? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks guys! 

Undergrad Institution: Top Tier International Private School - Ranked #1 in Private Biotech Research Schools in India.
Major(s): Biotech
Minor(s): We don't even have such options.
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: Top 5%
Type of Student: International but Domestic? Been working in a multinational Biotech company for 2 years now in the US - also got my green card sponsored, so I now apparently fall into the pool of US Citizens/Permanent residents?

Q: 166
V: 162
W: 4.5 (I wrote 5 f***ing paragraphs)
B: 92%

Research Experience: Umm, where to start.

1) Got selected after undergrad into an international science leadership program (12 selected every year out of 2500+ applications from around the globe) in a US Biotech company, who relocated me from India to the US (gave me a visa, car, home, etc.), been working in their microbial research lab for two years now. During my research here discovered a new combination of antifungal lipopeptides to control/eliminate an epidemic disease of Banana plantations worldwide, Black Sigatoka, without the pathogen developing resistance :D. First author publication, working now on its commercial formulation. 

2) 3 years research experience during undergrad, rotated in a couple of labs, but still mainly sticking to microbiology, microbial enzymes, and studying the entire process of  interaction of microbial antibiotics with pathogen cells.

3) A 6 month internship right after undergrad, before I landed this opportunity, working on similar plant diseases, studying plant responses and gene expressions after artificial infection.

4) Two three month internships during undergrad summer vacations, one at Novozymes India, other at National Institute of Mycobacterial Diseases.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Full ride. Dean's List. External & Internal Scholarships. Tonnes of awards from extra-curriculars was heavily into them- from Debates to Spelling competitions. Oh and I played soccer for my university, equivalent of Division 1 athlete here.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I use to voluntarily tutor Math, Chemistry and Physics at a local mosque.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I also liked building databases and coding, so I actually built a database housing all the gene sequences of enzymes (to weaken the host immunity, create pores in the cell wall, etc.) secreted by the pathogen during the first stages of host pathogen interaction. I did this for the National Center of Mycobacterial Diseases where I interned. Apparently they licensed it later and gave me no due credit. Ho - hum.

Special Bonus Points: I'm sure these "Bonus Points"  and "connections" are those which finally give domestic students the final edge. Someone show me how to get a renowned Harvard scientist back my research skills please?

Applying to Where: Being ambitious here, please feel free to critic, need some real-life advice.

MIT Microbiology - can anyone from this program please critique my profile, and answer some on my questions?

Harvard BBS

Yale BBSB

John Hopkins BCMB, or even Cellular and Molecular Physiology.

Princeton Molecular Biology

Rockefeller - Oh I love their campus. 

UC Berkeley Microbiology

U Chicago Biomedical Sciences

Cornell Plant Microbe Biology (I'll cry if I get into this one)

Oxford.

Above everything else, I just had one question: Is it really okay to ask the senior scientists I worked under for 10 recommendation letters? Like does that piss them off, or is it normal?

Someone critique my profile and choices too please? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks guys! 

I think your extensive research experience will set you aside from most of the applicants during this round and you have really good numbers. However, I'm a domestic student so I can't really assess how well you fare when compared to other international students. In terms of school selection, make sure you constructed your list based on fit rather than ranking, it'll be very obvious to the adcoms when you write your SOP. 

Also, is this for real? (I honestly hope not) 

"I'm sure these "Bonus Points"  and "connections" are those which finally give domestic students the final edge. Someone show me how to get a renowned Harvard scientist back my research skills please? "

If so, the only answer is... you work for it. 

Also, is this for real? (I honestly hope not) 

"I'm sure these "Bonus Points"  and "connections" are those which finally give domestic students the final edge. Someone show me how to get a renowned Harvard scientist back my research skills please? "

If so, the only answer is... you work for it. 

Thanks Bioenchilada - that was encouraging. My selection is a mix of ranking and fit, but my SOP's are super tailored, specific to each program, research interests, and why my background fits in with the ongoing research there. If I didn't feel I could write a good SOP, I didnt apply.

Regarding the bonus points and connections, I did for a long time feel that connections play no role, until a guy from my lab who's father is a big shot executive of a chemical company got into Yale with average scores, GPA's, SOP's - everything average. Don't quite know what to think of the power of connections since then. Oh well.

Thanks Bioenchilada - that was encouraging. My selection is a mix of ranking and fit, but my SOP's are super tailored, specific to each program, research interests, and why my background fits in with the ongoing research there. If I didn't feel I could write a good SOP, I didnt apply.

Regarding the bonus points and connections, I did for a long time feel that connections play no role, until a guy from my lab who's father is a big shot executive of a chemical company got into Yale with average scores, GPA's, SOP's - everything average. Don't quite know what to think of the power of connections since then. Oh well.

Connections are everything my friend. Then again, networking is an art, not everyone is good at it nor knows who to network with. Also, I would be very careful when underestimating a person just because they have connections. How are you so sure that his/her credentials were average? Maybe he had really good people skills, which can also take you very far. Regardless, the important thing is that he/she made it Yale and if they graduated, that must mean that they were good enough, right? 

Connections are everything my friend. Then again, networking is an art, not everyone is good at it nor knows who to network with. Also, I would be very careful when underestimating a person just because they have connections. How are you so sure that his/her credentials were average? Maybe he had really good people skills, which can also take you very far. Regardless, the important thing is that he/she made it Yale and if they graduated, that must mean that they were good enough, right? 

Lol. I'm sure about his credentials because I tutored him for GRE Quant, know his GRE scores, and his GPA. Also read his SOP's. Also, he had 3 months of research experience, thats it.
But to his credit, he did indeed have really good people skills. If I was sure of one thing, I knew that he would sail through the interview, but was highly skeptical that he'd get there in the first place. But as you said, he got there, and thats all that matters.

Lol. I'm sure about his credentials because I tutored him for GRE Quant, know his GRE scores, and his GPA. Also read his SOP's. Also, he had 3 months of research experience, thats it.But to his credit, he did indeed have really good people skills. If I was sure of one thing, I knew that he would sail through the interview, but was highly skeptical that he'd get there in the first place. But as you said, he got there, and thats all that matters.

Did his father write him a rec letter? If not, he might have gotten there on his own merit. Even if he did, which is highly unusual, I don't think being the executive of a chemical company in a capitalist country can have that much leverage when it comes to admission. What I'm trying to say is that, your friend might have been good enough. If everyone needed a 340 on the GRE to get into top schools, the average would indeed be 340. People on these forums tend to overreact about scores when they can only take you so far. An average, as you may know, exists because there is a spectrum of numbers that varies from "low" to very high. If you look at the Stanford Biosciences interviewee pool from last year, you'll see that the lowest scores for both Q and V were 148 and the lowest GPA was 2.89. While it is unlikely that a person with these credentials will get it, this just proves that there is no GRE minimum indeed and that graduate schools actually care about the people that put the time into applying, unlike undergrad. Bottomline is, again, don't diss people that put the time and effort into making connections or were even fortunate enough to be born with connections. At least, by asking you to tutor him, your friend showed that he cared enough to not ride on his father's reputation alone. *Rant ends* 

Hey all!

Had a question for writing the SOP - for those that had extenuating circumstances that may have led to a subpar academic performance during the early years of undergrad, how would you recommend explaining/wording this in the SOP without coming across as just making excuses for the grades?

My last two years were academically very strong, but my first two are just about average because of troublesome family relations. I'm trying to be wary of coming across as making excuses - rather I just want to mention the circumstances in a manner that urges the adcomm to look at my academic progression rather than just my cumulative GPA. Any thoughts are much appreciated...

Hey all!

Had a question for writing the SOP - for those that had extenuating circumstances that may have led to a subpar academic performance during the early years of undergrad, how would you recommend explaining/wording this in the SOP without coming across as just making excuses for the grades?

My last two years were academically very strong, but my first two are just about average because of troublesome family relations. I'm trying to be wary of coming across as making excuses - rather I just want to mention the circumstances in a manner that urges the adcomm to look at my academic progression rather than just my cumulative GPA. Any thoughts are much appreciated...

I had a subpar first year and did not mention this at all in my SOP. This is something that you should get a letter writer to mention (saying to look at the progression, not the cGPA) if you're worried about it. My POI (now my PI) wasn't worried about it, therefore I wasn't either (though I explained to him what happened that year eventually. I would not recommend that if you're not comfortable). From what I've gathered, many people have trouble their first year or two of university. It's not uncommon. 

Hey all!

Ferroportin, 

I suggest making a positive spin on it. I had subpar grades in my undergrad and I addressed it in my SOP but did not dwell on it. You don't want it to take up more then a small paragraph, and if you can explain what you learned, took away from the negative experience it makes your SOP stronger. Also if you can get one of your LOR writers to address it in a letter that will help a lot as well. My current PI is going to address my low undergrad grades and how I have completely turned that around for my MS. Another faculty members opinion always holds a lot of weight.

Hope this helps!

Undergrad Institution: State School, Top 50 Research not much else of note
Major(s): Cell and Molecular Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: ~3.59
Overall GPA: ~3.19 (Last 84 credit hours 3.84)
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 163 (86%)
V: 160 (85%)
W: 4.0 (56%)

Research Experience: 1 Year of Bioinformatics Research at Cancer Research Center, 1 Year of Bioinformatic of College Lab. 1 Poster Presentation. 2nd Author Paper Published on Proteomics and Bioinformatics.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List the Last 3 Semesters.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Was hired by Cancer Lab to work as Lab Tech / Programmer.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Certification in Genome Data Analysis from Degree Granting Research Center.

Special Bonus Points: My co-listed from 9 CH is 4.0

Applying to Where:
Boston University Bioinformatics- PhD

Boston College Bioinformatics- PhD

Columbia University Biomedical Informatics- PhD

Rockefeller University- PhD

University of Virginia Bioinformatics- PhD

MIT Bioinformatics- PhD

I know that MIT and Columbia are sort of a reach but I am going to try. I have a bit of a story to tell in my Personal Statement, I struggled with some mental health issues that caused me to fail out of the first college I attended. I worked for two years and went back to school about to graduate with a 3.84 institutional GPA. I was hoping for some input on what I should disclose in applications. I recently received a retroactive withdrawal from the semester that got me booted meaning it no longer counts towards my Cumulative GPA and shows on my transcripts as W. My biggest question is what should I disclose and address in my statement. Should I state mental health or just health concerns, now that it all shows as W on my transcript should I address it directly or graze over it? 

I just saw this is some other forum, hence feel compelled to ask. I know what the websites say, but just wanted to get some first hand information, or even a personal experience from previous cycle admits on non-academic recommendation letters?

2/3 are from scientists I've worked under for 2 years now in my current company, one is from the dean of my undergrad institution. Again, this is in compliance with the requirements posted on the websites, need some insights from people in grad schools, on how non-academic letters are perceived by ad-coms, 

Thanks people!

Edited by Microburritology

Ferroportin, 

I suggest making a positive spin on it. I had subpar grades in my undergrad and I addressed it in my SOP but did not dwell on it. You don't want it to take up more then a small paragraph, and if you can explain what you learned, took away from the negative experience it makes your SOP stronger. Also if you can get one of your LOR writers to address it in a letter that will help a lot as well. My current PI is going to address my low undergrad grades and how I have completely turned that around for my MS. Another faculty members opinion always holds a lot of weight.

Hope this helps!

I would second her response. Address the subpar grades in a positive light by explaining how you grew from the experience or whatever spin you like, and then get back to why you're such a great applicant. Your more recent grades and GRE are both outstanding. I don't think you need to spend more than a few sentences letting them know those first couple years were an outlier.

Undergrad Institution: Big state school, good reputation in biology
Major(s): Genetics and Statistics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.55
Position in Class: Near top?
Type of Student: Female Domestic

Q: 166 (92%)
V: 162 (90%)
W: 4.0 (56%)
B: 810 (87%)

Research Experience: Independent computational project started Fall 2013.  I work directly under my PI and present at lab meetings with grad students. I'm also in a journal club with my lab.  I'm completing my thesis now (this is my procrastination). MD Anderson CPRIT/CURE program Summer 2015 - my first wet lab experience.  I've presented a poster at my school's undergraduate research symposium twice and the MD Anderson end of session poster.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List multiple times, a small scholarship from my school

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Peer mentor (basically unofficial undergrad TA) for intro biology Spring 2014 and Fall 2015

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I can code in R, Matlab and Java.  Well versed in data analysis and experimental design.

Special Bonus Points: My PI at my home institution will write me a good rec and he's pretty prevalent in the circadian rhythm/computational biology area but not famous

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Washington - Genome Sciences

Tennessee - Genome Sciences and Technology

NC State - Functional Genomics

Emory - Genetics and Molecular Biology

Medical University of South Carolina - Biomedical Sciences

UT Houston/MD Anderson - Genes and Development

Baylor College of Medicine - Human Genetics (Bioinformatics track)

Duke - Genetics and Genomics

I've been lurking this thread for a while and am curious about one thing. 

I see that some of you aren't taking a GRE subject test but are applying to programs that strongly recommend submitting a subject test score. What exactly made you decide not to take the bio or biochem subject test? Does not submitting a GRE subject score bear a negative effect on these applications if an applicant's stats are otherwise very good?

@biscy: Taking the subject exam is usually a double edge sword. If your stats are on the weaker side then doing exceedingly well (e.g. >80th percentile) can help offset questions concerning your level of preparation for said program. Now on the other hand if your have a pretty strong application (high GPA, general GRE, etc) and you don't do that well then the subject score could actually be detrimental. If you have a strong application and you do well on the subject GRE then it doesn't actually help you that much since your training would indicate that you should score well.

Usually prepping for the subject exam is quite time intensive so unless you can adequately do so, most applicants choose not to do it. And it doesn't really effect your chances of being accepted into the programs (as long as the subject exam was not explicitly stated as a requirement). I didn't end up taking any subject exam before my applications and got into 6/7 programs I applied. 

Take away message: if you don't have to take the subject exam and your stats are decent there's no point in adding stress to an already stressful application cycle. 

I've been lurking this thread for a while and am curious about one thing. 

I see that some of you aren't taking a GRE subject test but are applying to programs that strongly recommend submitting a subject test score. What exactly made you decide not to take the bio or biochem subject test? Does not submitting a GRE subject score bear a negative effect on these applications if an applicant's stats are otherwise very good?

Pretty much from what I hear, GRE subjects are more for ppl that are applying from less reputable  or lesser know undergrad institutions. It gives the admissions committee a litmus to see if your curriculum was up to par with with what they expect a college graduate to have in their field.  Another reason is to counter a bad general GRE score, or a poor GPA to some degree.

Edited by pot8o

Sup y'all, been awhile since I've been here. Just finished my last applications today, now I just have to wait for my 2 other rec's to come in.

Undergrad Institution: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Major(s): Neuroscience
GPA in Major: 3.35
Overall GPA: 3.07
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 157
V: 161
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 2 years high school, 4 years part-time during college (published mid-author, upper mid tier journal), and 1 year and counting full time since becoming a research tech August 2014 (publication in preparation).

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked my way through college in IT, starting from Helpdesk climbing up the way to System Admin for the med school. Graduated without debt, but messed up my study time and cut my GPA.

Applying to Where:

University of Michigan - PIBS - Aging and neuroscience

UNC Chapel Hill - BBSP

WashU in St Louis - DBBS

Duke - Genetics and Genomics

Van Andel Institute - Cell, Molecular and Genetic Sciences

University of Alabama Birmingham - Cell, Molecular and Dev Bio

Baylor College of Medicine - Integrative Molecular and Biomedical Sciences

Oregon Health & Science University - Neuroscience

University of Iowa - Integrated Biology

University of Florida - Interdisciplinary Program in Biomedical Sciences