contacting professors about joining their research (as part of applications)?

miva

I want to do a PhD in Nuclear Engineering and I read online that it would be wise to contact professors about their research to see if they have space in their labs.  I have interest areas but not specific topics I want to research.  Could anyone help me with the content of the email?

thanks!!!!!  :)

Hey! Just let them know who you are (current academic institution, your program of study) and what you see yourself doing. Take a look at some of your POI's work, and see what they do that interests you. Tell them how that particular work interests you, and what kind of experience you have that makes you interested in pursuing that area. You don't have to be very specific, but if you at least know the interest area (which you do) and can come up with a brief idea of what it is you can do in their lab then you should briefly include that.

Then at the end, inquire whether they will be taking on students this coming year and what you can do to get ready. I included my CV and unofficial transcript as well when I was applying for schools the past year.

Good luck :)

What Jay said. I started mine with who I am and where and what I was studying. My intention to apply to doctoral programs. My past and current research experience. My interests (don't worry if you don't have specific topics, knowing your interests is enough at this stage). What about their work interested me. I used general information from their website and specific papers if I could find them. Then I closed with asking if they'd be accepting graduate students. I intend to use the same template this year, although I'll be attaching my CV this time around.

Also, check program and faculty websites. I know in clinical psychology, programs will often post lists of accepting faculty on the admissions page or faculty will write on their own pages whether they'll be accepting students.