Going to a school that is on probation?

http://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/CAAAccreditedPrograms.pdf

According to ASHA, The University of Wisconsin - Madison is on probation as of February. The next review year is 2019. I was really interested in going to the University of Wisconsin in Madison, but would that negatively affect my career?

No, it won't. Did you read why it's on probation? It's basically on probation because they ignored warnings ASHA gave to fix information on its website and to be more transparent. It's all clerical stuff mostly, like the Com Dis department calling the department accredited when it's the program that is, but ASHA had asked them to fix this years prior. I'd be more worried about going to a school that's on probation because of the quality of education it's providing to students or lack of faculty and placements, which are real problems other schools have faced. But most schools on probation eventually come off because the schools address the issues. No school wants to lose accreditation and no employer will see probation status now or then honestly. Trust me, even faculty at Madison in the department didn't know the program was put on probation even. With Madison I believe they only have until January to address the issues. You might want to read more information direct from ASHA if you're still worried.

You'll be fine. And you can read accreditation reports ASHA publishes if you're so inclined. They gave me some good information about schools that weren't on probation but recently had a review.

Edited by MangoSmoothie

No, it won't. Did you read why it's on probation? It's basically on probation because they ignored warnings ASHA gave to fix information on its website and to be more transparent. It's all clerical stuff mostly, like the Com Dis department calling the department accredited when it's the program that is, but ASHA had asked them to fix this years prior. I'd be more worried about going to a school that's on probation because of the quality of education it's providing to students or lack of faculty and placements, which are real problems other schools have faced. But most schools on probation eventually come off because the schools address the issues. No school wants to lose accreditation and no employer will see probation status now or then honestly. Trust me, even faculty at Madison in the department didn't know the program was put on probation even. With Madison I believe they only have until January to address the issues. You might want to read more information direct from ASHA if you're still worried.

You'll be fine. And you can read accreditation reports ASHA publishes if you're so inclined. They gave me some good information about schools that weren't on probation but recently had a review.

Great, I figured it was something like that.  I'll be applying :)