Decided on grad school late - advice

bee xlaura

Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I graduated with a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology in December 2014. I always thought I would attend medical school, so my undergraduate experience was more tailored to applying medical school. I have a 3.60GPA, but unfortunately no research experience. I am looking around for some research tech positions, but they are hard to find/get. My current job involves lab work as I work in lab where we extract drugs from samples for drug abuse testing. I haven’t yet taken the GRE.

It seems like I would have a stronger chance to get into a PhD program after attending a Master’s program. It would allow me to gain research experience and meet faculty that could actually write strong letters of recommendation for me. However, I would have to start that later in my life as I am currently paying off my undergraduate student loans and would have to raise money to attend a Master’s program. It would take me about 3.5 years to raise enough money for both at my current job. That time off from school is daunting to me.

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!

Edited by bee xlaura

Taking time off between undergrad and grad is not uncommon so no need to worry. If you have to take a 4 yr break, work hard in your lab and learn as many techniques as you can and try to get a more research tech job (though what you're doing right now should suffice for a yr or so).

Research the various topics that interest you and keep up with current literature. Learn about where the coolest research is being conducted and read up about those programs. Study for the GRE (both general and subject - it will help show that the break hasn't dulled your bio skills).

When it comes time to apply, your knowledge and confidence will show in your SoP and subject GRE. I say at that point apply for both MS and PhD programs. Good luck!

I don't think it is necessary to do a Master's for the research experience. That is the most expensive way to go about it and I am not sure having the degree helps with PhD programs all that much unless your undergraduate grades were really bad. Your GPA is fine for the majority of PhD programs so I wouldn't worry there. Most of my colleagues either came here straight from college (those with research experience) or worked as a tech for 2 years or so (those with limited experience). You can still get strong letters of recommendation from being a tech as well, especially if you are doing it at a school which you plan to apply. I know I give this advice a lot but it is worth repeating: never, ever, ever pay out of pocket for grad school. It just isn't worth it.

I don't think you need the master's.  You definitely don't need 4 years off to gain admission.

Make sure you're exhausting all options in this lab tech search.  Don't overlook hospitals; you're not just limited to university or national labs.  Before grad school, I was in a hospital's toxicology lab.  Make sure you're utilizing your alumni network.  Contact academics, scientists, physicians etc.  Maybe they can point you in the direction of a lab (or someone with a connection to one).