Student in Theoretical Chemistry wanting to take more Math courses

I'm finishing my first year as a graduate student in a Theoretical Chemistry group. Today I found out that I don't have to TA next year, or for the rest of my PhD, so I've been thinking of making use of some of my time to take or audit some additional math courses. Now, I know a lot of people will say that I should spend that time doing research but I don't think devoting just a few hours a week to an extra course is going to make that much difference. The issue is whether that course will be beneficial for me...

The primary reason that I want to take math courses is that I really enjoy it, and that's also the reason I went into theory in the first place. Second, my research is  mainly in  theory ( little application) so it's important that I have a good and broad understanding of the underlying mathematics. And thirdly, somewhat related  to the first, my goal is to stay in Academia but move more towards Physics or Applied Math, rather than chemistry. 

Talking to people in my university resulted in polarized opinions - some think it's a great idea, others think it's a waste of time. So, I'd like to know if there is anyone in a similar position as me who has actually tried this, and what their opinions are. Was it helpful? Was it useless? Were you better learning it yourself? If you did take math courses, what were they?

If you have any opinion on the matter please feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Note: this is coming from a MS student's perspective 

If it will not take away too much time from your research, then it should be fine to take a course or two - at least during year 2. A few programs I know of still have students taking the last of their coursework during the second year. All I would just say is: 'don't get too caught up in courses' and 'audit classes if you can'. My quantum chemistry/mechanics prof during my MS was originally trained as a physicist and transitioned during his postdoc to chemistry. I say this since you should be able to teach yourself any additional math skills at this level if/when you decide to transition later in your career. 

As for your other questions, I took a PDE/dynamical sys and a biomath class during the latter half of my MS just to supplement my knowledge. I checked with my advisor and he said as long as I could meet my research goals for each week then it was fine. Now I could have learned the material myself but that would have probably taken a bit more effort (the prof was pretty helpful in answering my questions) and thus taken away time from my research (since the subject was of some use but not absolutely imperative that I take a course in it). I found the course useful overall, but if I didn't have time I would have dropped it since I could teach myself later if need be.

Overall, take the courses if it won't slow down your progress significantly and best of luck with your choice.

Auditing is usually my preferred choice. It's less stressful and I learn as much. 

And I'm not planning to take more than one course per semester. 

Thanks!

I audited.  Given your goals and field, I think it's a great choice.  As long as it doesn't interfere with your research (and I doubt it will), go for it.  Surely, it will take less time each week than TA-ing would have.