GRE scores too low for Clinical Psychology?

lwalker2009

I just took my GRE for the second time yesterday. I have spent HUNDREDS of dollars and hours studying with Magoosh and Kaplan, and I still don't have the score I was looking for. As we all know, programs always list the avg stats of their students, and all of my potential programs have 160 Q 160 V and higher...I got a 150 Q 159 V. I just cannot break 160 to save my life. I don't have the morale or more importantly the money to take this test again. Do you think my low scores will keep me out of the programs? Do many programs really throw out applications based on GRE scores alone?

I have a 3.69 cumulative GPA and at least a 3.85 in my major (psychology). I have 2 years of work experience out of college as a mental health professional, health interviewer, and research assistant. Some significant lab experience in college and I've presented posters at 2 conferences. No publications and no awards.

You can beat a 150Q. Study harder and you'll get there. If it means having to put in another 100 hours of work, then do it. Clinical psychology is the toughest kind of psychology program to get into. When the programs ask for 160Q/160V, they mean 160Q/160V. Your application will get tossed out. A 150Q is not that tough. After about a week of studying, I went from a 150Q to a 155Q. A 159V is good, but you can raise the Q score. Those clinical psychology programs have hundreds of applicants, many with similar stats as yours. You should apply for like 10 programs after you raise your Q score further. 

Anyways - that's just my opinion. 

Edited by westy3789

Apply to as many programs as you can and keep in mind that you might need to realistically consider lower tier/less prestigious programs. The sheer number of applicants for Clinical Psychology usually make an application difficult to stand out (unless it is stellar, which would imply a stellar GRE). It all becomes a numbers game, so make the numbers work for you as well for you and apply apply apply wherever you can. 

I definitely agree with the previous posters that you should try to aim for scores of at least 320 combined. Having taken the GRE 3 times in about a year I know how taxing it can be. Remember your goal, and what you need to do!

Thanks guys. It sucks so hard, but I'll see if I can afford to take the test one more time before application season. I'm just so saddened by all the effort returning such mediocre numbers.

Hi lwalker2009,

Considering how much time you've put in to the study process, I'm curious if you can define what's causing you problems in the Quant and Verbal sections?

Is it the content (do you not know the formulas, vocabulary)?

Is it the processes (are you comfortable with doing math and taking notes)?

Is it the tactics (do you know multiple ways to get to the correct answer)?

Is it the pacing (do you have trouble finishing the sections on time)?

Etc.

If we can define the issues, then we should be able to 'fix' them. The GRE is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You might just need to use some new resources and adjust the way that you 'see' (and respond to) GRE questions.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

I really dislike when I hear people way that 'it's not that tough.' There are many of us out there that follow systematic and thorough study plans, take and retake the test, and still end up below the 160 mark. Not for lack of intelligence, just for some reason it does not click. In that case, personalized tutoring (upward of a grand) can be best solution.. I'm not saying that lwalker is in that boat, but it's actually disheartening to hear people say "it's not tough, come on, give it a try." That being said, if you can figure out your weakpoints and find a way to productively study for them, do so. Unless the school says otherwise, consider them finite cut offs. 

I suggest calling schools to find out how flexible they are, or adding in schools that say something along the lines :" Applicants with GRE scores below these minima, but who can provide other evidence of strong academic credentials, will be seriously considered."  Temple University has a 1150 minimum, but for great GPA and experience they're flexible. 

Also consider, why does it have to be clinical psychology? Does your interest span other research fields: counseling, social, health, developmental, etc.? Could a PsyD also get you the credentials you need? You may have more options than you think for school choices.

I really dislike when I hear people way that 'it's not that tough.' There are many of us out there that follow systematic and thorough study plans, take and retake the test, and still end up below the 160 mark. Not for lack of intelligence, just for some reason it does not click. In that case, personalized tutoring (upward of a grand) can be best solution.. I'm not saying that lwalker is in that boat, but it's actually disheartening to hear people say "it's not tough, come on, give it a try." That being said, if you can figure out your weakpoints and find a way to productively study for them, do so. Unless the school says otherwise, consider them finite cut offs. 

I suggest calling schools to find out how flexible they are, or adding in schools that say something along the lines :" Applicants with GRE scores below these minima, but who can provide other evidence of strong academic credentials, will be seriously considered."  Temple University has a 1150 minimum, but for great GPA and experience they're flexible. 

Also consider, why does it have to be clinical psychology? Does your interest span other research fields: counseling, social, health, developmental, etc.? Could a PsyD also get you the credentials you need? You may have more options than you think for school choices.

I said a 150Q is not that tough, not a 160. A 160Q of course is, but if somebody scores a 150Q there's definitely much room for improvement - especially with a 159V score. Even if he raises it 5 points that could be the difference. Now if someone was struggling to raise a 150V and a 150Q then maybe it would be harder to improve, but if someone is capable of scoring a 159 on their Verbal they can do better than 150Q. 

Sure maybe he could get sneak into a clinical program with a 150Q/159V, 3.69 cumulative, 3.85 major, a bit of research/work experience, etc..., but it would be MUCH easier and safer attempting to improve a 150Q then it would be having to apply for 15 programs hoping you get into one. 

Edited by westy3789

Last year, I applied to clinical psychology programs with V158/Q150 and didn't even get an interview anywhere. Obviously that's not the only part of my application, but I do believe it was the kicker. Some programs are upfront in their admissions information about having GRE cut-offs. Of the 39 programs I'm currently looking into for this round, that's 6.

It sounds like you have good work and research experience, but your GPA is a little lower than many averages. I think if you have a chance of shoring up your GRE score, you should take it.

Is it the tactics (do you know multiple ways to get to the correct answer)?

Out of that list, I'd have to say tactics. Sometimes - SOMETIMES - I do notice that if the formula I know/try doesn't give me the right answer I get a bit stuck,

Edited by lwalker2009

I don't know how to respond to specific quotes, but psychkita and westy3789 you're both right. Closing the gap between my Q and V would really boost my overall score, so it would be advantageous to me as an applicant. At the same time, the Q section is has proven uncharacteristically impossible for me to do well on. I even considered shooting for a 165+ on verbal, and kind of giving up on the math aspect. I just don't know what steps to take to guarantee my improvement, and I don't want to waste another $195 to take the test and end up with another BS score (my very first score was a 305 :wacko:)

psychkita: I want to be a clinical neuropsychologist. The Houston Guidelines (DIV 40) lists doctoral programs that offer qualified training/curriculums for neuropsychology, and they are all clinical psych. Counseling, Social, etc. are of limited interest to me because they aren't the bulk of what I want to do in my career.

Sheesh Rose Tyler that is disheartening! I'm going to have to bite the bullet and collect pennies to take the test again. Perhaps the 3rd time will be the charm!

• 1 month later...

What is everyone's impressions of Clinical Psych programs that don't give any indication whatsoever as to average/acceptable GRE scores?  University of Colorado at Denver and University of Tennessee are two of my favorite schools due to research fit and physical location, I just don't know how well I'll fare in the application process since there is zero mention about scores on their websites.  Thoughts?